Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest IX for the DS

Default Dragon Quest IX for the DS

Seems it's been announced for the Nintendo DS.

Dragon Quest IX is for Nintendo DS

A second surprise [after the announcement of an arcade DQ - CS]! The numbered DQ title, Dragon Quest IX, will appear on Nintendo DS!

The Developer of DQIX is Level 5

It was announced that the same composer, Koichi Sugiyama, will create the soundtrack. "I'll keep composing for Dragon Quest until I die!", he said. And it was announced that the (technical) developer of part VIII, Level 5, will return. Moreover, 'SMAP' who perform for TV's CMI appeared, representing the series' fanbase. "Ever since we were in primary/elementary school, we've absolutely loved Dragon Quest; the work arouses deep emotions! We love games!", they said excitedly. How nice for them to chat with Horii about their personal experiences playing the games! It must come as a nice surprise that this time, four-player co-operative play is possible. Combat is 'action type', a completely different and new style for the numbered series!

Dragon Quest IX will be released within 2007

For those anxious about the release date, Horii said that he wants the game to be released within 2007. You will be able to buy the latest numbered DQ title in the not-too-distant future!

The Subtitle is 'hosh1zora no momrijin' (Guardian of the Starlit Sky)

Dragon Quest IX's subtitle is 'hoshizora no momrijin'. It will be the first game in the series to utilise networking*. Concluding the presentation, Horii said: "The feeling I get from this work is similar to that of making Dragon Quest I. It has been said that there are limitations imposed by the hardware on a handheld game, but I'm going to try my best (to overcome them)!"

* This may just mean link-up rather than Internet play.
    http://www.famitsu.com/blog/express/

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/drag...350&pid=935082
    This guy translated it.

Discuss.

This is the best news ever!

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It's also the most substantial testament ever to the overwhelming success of the DS. Not counting spin-offs, for the latest installment in an extremely popular franchise to be developed for a handheld instead of a cutting-edge console is absolutely unheard of.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    Figaro Castle

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Oops :P I don't really go out of the 'General' area much. If you don't follow the link Flyin Mullet posted, there is a video up on this website

http://www.gamebrink.com/news/735-Dr...y_Footage.html

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Has something like this ever happened before? I wonder what it's most a testament to: the massive success of the DS, a lack of trust in the stability of the PS3, or the painful cost of developing a massive game on this generation of consoles. Either way, it's going to be a major boost for Nintendo. I can only imagine what it would be like if Dragon Quest were as popular in the US as it is in Japan.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anytime a quality games is released on a handheld is a happy day for me as I tend to play more games when traveling these days than when I'm at home.
    Figaro Castle

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

That sucks. I don't have 100 hours to waste on a handheld gaming system I play maybe 5 hours a week(train rides). I certainly don't want to spend months playing this game.

I will not play this when I am at home. I have real video game systems for that.

It seems to me that a majority of you are getting excited simply over a name.

If it was called Dragon Quest: Portable Ops would it be any less news? Apparantly so.
    Word/s.

I would of prefered it to be on one a next gen system. Im sure it will be a good game though, its Level 5 after all....

Quote Originally Posted by Maxico View Post
    It seems to me that a majority of you are getting excited simply over a name.

If it was called Dragon Quest: Portable Ops would it be any less news? Apparantly so.
    There is a certain expectation that developers are well aware that they must meet to keep their fan base strong when putting out an actual installment of a long-running and extremely popular series, rather than a spin-off. It's not just the name, it's what the name stands for and suggests for the content of the game itself. If the game was named Dragon Quest: Portable Ops (which it wouldn't be) there would be very few expectations that Square-Enix would have to actually worry about because fans aren't expecting a game of Dragon Quest X calibur, but rather a spin-off with familiar characters and possibly game mechanics (See: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime.)

It is worth nothing that Portable Ops is actually part of the main Metal Gear Solid storyline, so even if what you were suggesting were more correct, it's still kind of wrong to boot.

There were three Dragon Warrior spinoffs released for the GBC, and they did alright, didn't they?

Yet another reason to buy a DS *cashes bonds*.
    Sigless

I haven't played a DQ game in ages. This is indeed good news

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    There is a certain expectation that developers are well aware that they must meet to keep their fan base strong when putting out an actual installment of a long-running and extremely popular series, rather than a spin-off. It's not just the name, it's what the name stands for and suggests for the content of the game itself. If the game was named Dragon Quest: Portable Ops (which it wouldn't be) there would be very few expectations that Square-Enix would have to actually worry about because fans aren't expecting a game of Dragon Quest X calibur, but rather a spin-off with familiar characters and possibly game mechanics (See: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime.)

It is worth nothing that Portable Ops is actually part of the main Metal Gear Solid storyline, so even if what you were suggesting were more correct, it's still kind of wrong to boot.
    Portable Op does actually have pretty different mechanics to the main games, but that wasn't my point. My point is that it is a major continuation of the story, that is considered less important due to being labled as "portable", while this is considered revolutionary because it uses the same numbering system as it's console counterparts.

The name of a game really doesn't mean that much. Final Fantasy XI's name didn't really "suggests for the content of the game" for example.
    Word/s.

Oh my. I wonder how Japan will take this, not because it's for the DS, but because a series notorious for keeping its outdated annoyances traditions is making a large change going all action-RPG.

It looks fun to me, though . Well, for what little is shown and known anyway. I don't have a DS, but if all this Square-Enix RPG goodness turns out well, I may have to buy one before my fanboy detaches itself and beats me with a pipe.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 12-12-2006 at 07:25 PM.