Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: niks FFVI low level, natural magic challenge

Default niks FFVI low level, natural magic challenge

I guess it's time for another challenge, since my FFVII challenge was kind of a flop. It just wasn't all that fun. However, this challenge is turning out to be a blast. I started yesterday and I finished both Terra and Lockes scenarios, and now I am tackling Sabins.

This challenge is summed up best by its name. Low level, natural magic. In other words, I have to stay at the lowest possible level, and I cannot use Espers to learn any magic. This means that for the entire game the only magic that I will have access to is cure, ice, fire, and antdot.

It's already proving to be quite challenging. I had to reset while fighting Vargas once because he managed to kill Terra too early and I wasn't about to waste a precious Phoenix down. Ultros was not easy at all. He beat me a good 8-10 times before I finally finished him off. Tunnel Armor managed to beat me once too. That's alot of challenge for just 2 and a half hours of gameplay.

I just boarded the Phantom Train, and I don't anticipate it being too difficult. I'm just not looking forward to getting so much gil on the veldt. That's going to take some time.

Also, it appears as if I missed a few items and rages along the way. I hope that none of them are so important that it's going to halt my progress indefinetly.

Anyhow, wish me luck guys. I'll keep this thread updated regularily. Also, for any of you who want to try this, I am using this guide to help me if I get stuck, and to point out the necessary items that I need to get as I progress through the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    I guess it's time for another challenge, since my FFVII challenge was kind of a flop. It just wasn't all that fun. However, this challenge is turning out to be a blast. I started yesterday and I finished both Terra and Lockes scenarios, and now I am tackling Sabins.

This challenge is summed up best by its name. Low level, natural magic. In other words, I have to stay at the lowest possible level, and I cannot use Espers to learn any magic. This means that for the entire game the only magic that I will have access to is cure, ice, fire, and antdot.

It's already proving to be quite challenging. I had to reset while fighting Vargas once because he managed to kill Terra too early and I wasn't about to waste a precious Phoenix down. Ultros was not easy at all. He beat me a good 8-10 times before I finally finished him off. Tunnel Armor managed to beat me once too. That's alot of challenge for just 2 and a half hours of gameplay.

I just boarded the Phantom Train, and I don't anticipate it being too difficult. I'm just not looking forward to getting so much gil on the veldt. That's going to take some time.

Also, it appears as if I missed a few items and rages along the way. I hope that none of them are so important that it's going to halt my progress indefinetly.

Anyhow, wish me luck guys. I'll keep this thread updated regularily. Also, for any of you who want to try this, I am using this guide to help me if I get stuck, and to point out the necessary items that I need to get as I progress through the game.
    You're awesome for trying this! However I am playing the game now and it is hella hard enough as it is with bolt 2 ice 2 and fire 2...good luck man good luck.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good luck nik! I was awaiting your next masochistic challenge!

I've done natural magic before, but I hate running so i never do the low level crap in any game. I NEVER run from battle, ever. I just hate doing it. But when I did my natural magic I didn't go out of my way to level either. In fact I didn't end up using any magic casters in my party for the most part, and didn't do things like Fanatic's tower.

Either way my favorite was beating the game with the 3 WoR required characters, I still plan on going through and beating it with different combinations of people, like with relm but not strago. One thing I did notice after beating it with the 3, then beating it with all of em, those 3 are in most of the little cutscenes, just an interesting little thing.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

How low is low level? Run from every random battle? Does that mean you will skip a bunch of characters in the WoR in order to avoid exp?
    Sigless

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I imagine that that'll be alot easier when he gets the Moogle Charm.

Actually, it'll get easier--eventually, Terra and Celes learn much more powerful magic.

Just, at much higher levels. They finish out the 1-2-3 progressions, and I forget what Terra has, but I know that Celes gets Meteor.
    -Q

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If low-level means sub-20, Terra won't even learn Fire 2.
    I've had her learn Fire 1, 2 and 3, Pearl, Flare, Ultima and Merton. Oh, maybe Life 2 aswell, not sure about that.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Low level means staying at the lowest level possible. It's possible to have most of your characters below level 10 at the end of the game. You don't get experience from boss fights, so you just have to run from every battle. There is some forced experience in some parts, but if you can force Gau to gain all of it then you can leap him off when you get new characters and his levels don't count towards the party average that determines their level.

Good luck with this. I'm currently trying a low level game whenever I have the time. I'm just at the Veldt in Sabin's scenario right now still getting items and GP, and hopefully a couple more Green Beret's before I'm done. It's pretty slow going since I'd like to stock up on 99 pheonix downs before leaving. I think I only have about 26 right now :rolleyes2.

You're awesome for trying this! However I am playing the game now and it is hella hard enough as it is with bolt 2 ice 2 and fire 2...good luck man good luck.
    Same here. I am leveling up to go get Locke in the Caves of Treasures in the World of Ruin. It's a great game, but got its tough points at times. Good luck with your challenge.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

someday you're going to commit suicide and i'm going to cry.

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

antdot
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

Blog Entries

Are you allowed to use dammaging items?

I'm allowed to use damaging items, just so long as they don't cast spells that I don't already have. The only exception is if I find them in a treasure chest. Anything I find in a chest is fair game, but I can't go and buy a bunch of magical rods and throw them at will.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

nik...this sounds...nearly impossible. I mean, at least there were certain strategies in FFVIII/IX for those challenges, but this just seems downright...ugh.

I'll still root for you though!