Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Videogames Pwn Movies

Videogames Pwn Movies

Videogames Pwn Movies
    A new study reports that videogames are getting more popular all the time.
    by Kathleen Sanders
    June 2, 2006 - Most any IGN reader knows that these new-fangled videogame tapes aren't the anti-female, gore-filled playthings of violence-obsessed social pariahs most senators would have the world believe. Now there is science to back you up.

Frank Alpert, a Professor of Marketing at Griffith University in Queensland, Australia, has just released the findings of his study on videogames, titled Entertainment Software: Suddenly Huge, Little Understood.

"It's only been around for about 25 years yet the entertainment software industry now outsells the movie box office," Alpert said.

According to the study videogame sales would outstrip CD sales in a few years time, mainly due to the increasing popularity of downloading music from the Internet.

His studies found that the average age of a game player was 33 and that women comprised 38% of players.

Action games are still the best-selling genre, but the most successful game brand of all time is Will Wrights' peaceful, virtual people series The Sims. According to Alpert the series popular is because there is no violence. "It's a far broader audience because it's about human relationships."

Despite the massive popularity of videogames, Alpert is aware of the need for literature and knowledge about this young but rapidly growing industry. "A lot of older people didn't grow up with it, don't play it and don't understand it. A lot of a younger people aren't yet in a position to write about it."

Prof Alpert plans to approach the Queensland government in an attempt to secure funding for further research into the videogame industry.
    Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711125p1.html

Instead of living out fantasies of shooting the game winning shot or slaying the dragon by going to play games outside. Kids are now fulfilling those fantasies they have by playing a game in the comfortable setting of their own living room.

Kids aren't burning off all that Mcdonalds that they ate anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchrono
    Instead of living out fantasies by going to play games outside kids are now fulfilling those fantasies they have by playing a game where they can actually take part in the action on screen.

Kids aren't burning off all that Mcdonalds that they ate anymore.
    Kids SHOULD NOT eat McDonalds, THAT"s the problem.

And I rather have kids/teenagers/and adults playing v-games than smoking crack, using drugs, and joining gangs. Sooooooooooo WHICH is better??? :meditate: you tell me

And better than wasting money on stupid movies.

Blog Entries

Terrorists Win.

there was a picture here

I'd much rather see a movie than play most video games I guess.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Terrorists Win.
    I wanna kill you so bad.
    Games are good to play when you need to release anger.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus
    Terrorists Win.
    No. No sir, you win.

Video games are better than movies, fast food, drugs, and terrorism combined. Sucka.

Plus with games, the pause button is a diamond! So much better then missing out something important in a film!

I think you took this thread off the deep-end deathknight.

Why just because it was commented on that playing sports or other games outside is physically healthier than playing those same games on a video game system you had to bring drugs and gangs into the picture.

If you have to go that far in order to support playing video games they must not be that good for the youth of the country.

He was saying he would rather children play games then go and join gangs and get involved in crime and drugs. People see games as a waste of time, but in a way its better then them going to find entertainment elsewhere, eg getting high or stealing cars for a buzz.

And like I said if he has to go that far in order to support the video games than there must not be a whole lot good about them.

Articles

This doesn't surprise me at all, given the nature of interaction in video games combined with the unpleasant developments in moviegoing (commercials, lack of originality, etc.). It's no secret that less people have been going to the movies, as well as the fact that the kind of people who play video games is much broader than most people would believe.

Also, darkchrono, you're making some questionable broad assumptions. I'd be careful with that.

What? Exactly which broad assumptions have I made? The only thing I have stated up to this point is that it is physically healthier to go outside and play hoops in your driveway all day long than it is to stay inside and play a basketball game on your ps2 all day long.

And questioned deathknight in why just because I first stated that that he had to go ahead and bring drugs and gangs into the picture.

Cool, didnt know how popular gaming really was.