Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Has General Chat - Reduced to Spam Central

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Default Has General Chat - Reduced to Spam Central

There has been a serious drop in quality of the posts in General Chat.

Over the years, we used to have comical threads about things that were actually funny and could make people "L.O.L." in there seats at home. What do we have now? Ridiculous remarks about a man cured from HIV. The Rupac thread by Crash.

Once upon a time, we had real threads of interest that could come here, in great abundance, and not be a part of the emo soapbox that is EoEO.

Threads like this shows the ingenuity of children while at the same time allowing members to poke fun at, and discuss seriously, the issue at hand.

How about Bleys' classic EGG (the EoFF Grammar Gestapo) from way back in either 02 or 03 (can't quite remember).

What about the thread made by our favorite Monkey, Jojo, which was not only a giant hysterical satire that was meant for the purpose of spam in a general way, even with noble attempts at funny spam, members have been destroying the quality of spam posted.

Lets face it, some of us are good at spam, others simply don't understand the concept of quality and context of spam. Spam is not random, it deals with the thread topic at hand as well as the previous posts in the thread. It deals with these in order to be witty, creative, funny, and, in an intellectual way, add to the thread as a whole. Old Manus, Psychotic, and few others do this superbly. It is their intelligence and wit that make us love their spam and not classify it as such, because it is above the standards of what is considered to be spam, therefor, they evolve spam into their own, unique characteristic in their posts.

Case in point. If you can't spam, and have nothing to add to the topic that is neither stimulating, witty, and funny, then you have no reason to post in that thread, and thus, you generate and contribute to the ever swelling problem that has been plagueing the boards as of the last year.

Let me not go into the age ranges of most of those who spam inappropriately. I'm guarenteeing that if we look up our top contributors of those who spam content that simply is not worthy of EoFF standards, their ages will, generally, fall between 12-15. (not to mention that you are supposed to be 13 to even be allowed to post here)
    Some older members, such as PiP, have their moments of good and bad spam, but regardless, the posts that lack quality are still many and too much.

Sooner or later, if this problem is not resolved, GC will be nothing more than a complete waste of this forums' space. I enjoy intelligence and wit in the form of spam in conjunction with the thread at hand, anything else is intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignfied Pauper
    I really didn't mean hardly anything I said. Sure, there's a lot more stupid spam, rather than high quality, but sometimes, it just can't be helped. I just felt like making long posts about nothing important.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bleys made the EGG, though.

Gen Chat goes through cycles. Right now it's on a 17 year cicada cycle.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry I'm not as witty as you. Please shoot me now.

I've corrected, I think I just remember Del enforcing it all the time. Or maybe my memory is mixed up,

Dude, spam does not fall into a paticular category of having to be witty etc. Spam is just general useless crap that goes anywhere on the internet. If it makes you laugh, then good for you, if it doesn't then just ignore it. People say what they want on the internet and that's the way it is. Some people (myself included) don't have the brain capacity to make every post 'witty' so we can please everyone who reads it.

But I agree with the general topic at hand.
    :mario::luigi:

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I appreciate the thought that went into this thread, but I can't help but notice that you speak of the "old days" when your registration date shows you joining only a year ago. This stuff goes through cycles. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] and you just gotta roll with it. People two, three, four years ago were saying that GC would end up degenerating into a worthless mess, but it's never happened. We always get out of it.

Blog Entries

I don't see the problem, I think EoFF is good as it is at the moment.

Its cause we need to be hard asses. Kick all the losers out and send them to FF shrine.........guess My bags are already packed then ....

I'm not opposed to that idea, Dreddz. I'm rather elitist.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Jojo totally stole that crash 4 admin idea from me, y'know. But I'm only saying that because she's not here to dispute it.

It's called entropy.

Everything descends into disorder, since that's the lowest state of energy requirement.

Unfunny rubbish = low energy cost.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

We're in the last throws of the crappy General Chat posts.

science is the true nature of all things real and make-believe.

Styles change. You'll always see changes in the quality of posts. You never know, the quality would probably rise soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    We're in the last throws of the crappy General Chat posts.
    *throes