Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here do any type of martial arts?

Default Anyone here do any type of martial arts?

Anyone participate in matial arts? im in my 4th year of Ninjutsu currently learining Weighted chain and the Katana (Blunt of course)
    So ...anyone wanna talk about martial arts?

O ren ishii AKA Cottonmouth

Blog Entries

I'm doing Tai Chi, does that count? No seriously it's great defense if done properly.
    I'm also practicing Kata. I'm more into defense.

Recognized Member smittenkitten's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

No but i am a mesues and im going for kick boxing lesson's soon so i can kick a guy's ass in! :chop: xXx

Akido, Karate, and some good ol' fashion American Kickboxing. I also know some (basic) swordsmanship. I can hold my own against most fighters in any of those areas, but my strength is in less restrictive environments, when I can switch styles at will. Between my three styles, I can find one, or some combination of the three, that holds against almost anything.

I don't much focus on weapon's training: I can pick a squirrel out of a tree with a handgun, and I figure if it comes down to it, I'd rather have a gun than a sword. There is no such things as "fair" when someone pulls a weapon.

Although, frankly, I'm more more interested in the arts of love than the arts of war.
    Whore since '04. Selling my skills as an artist and writer.

http://www.freewebs.com/acalhoun/

Sous Chef actually Halifax Housewife's Avatar

Yes. I've just recently (Friday night, infact) achieved my second degree black belt status at Hiltz Tae Kwon Do.

I also cross train as I am in boxing as well.

Be free.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Does kick ass count as Martial Art?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I know this guy at college who is into martial arts. He just got his blue belt. It's pretty funny when he decides to get up and do random martial arts moves.

I know Shaq Fu.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

One of my friends taught me how to do a "Scissor Kick" once.
    All it is is a trip that focuses on jumping parallel to the ground and scissoring your opponent's bent legs with your straight ones (You get him behind the knees with one leg and right at the front of his ankles with the other.)

I've only been in one fight when I couldn't simply beat my opponent to the ground, and I used that. He fell down with me, but, since his legs were tangled up in mine, and I had the upper hand, I was able to beat him down after that.

I've beaten up people with multicolored belts. My martial art is Fist-Do-ScissorKick, and it's pretty dang efficient.

I do freestyle

Hope to get conditional black nov

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've done a smidgeon of European wrestling, kung fu and jiu jitsu.
    I'm currently having regular lessons in mediaeval quarterstaff fighting.

Gunfu. Ever heard of it? Guns > Martial Arts Ive done some boxing, I wanna do some thai kick boxing though.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by noname
    Gunfu. Ever heard of it? Guns > Martial Arts
    'Defendu' is a practical martial art that uses both a gun and a baton. It was invented early in the 20th century by an English officer in China, who combined martial arts with police weapons to create an effective way for police to defend themselves and suppress riots. It's great for situations where a gun isn't necessary but it's still good to keep one handy; it's also perfect for enclosed areas or close-quarters fighting where a melee weapon can be more practical at times.

Later on, Defendu was developed further and introduced to the military; the baton was replaced with a knife and the style became known as "CQC", short for close-quarters combat. Many of you will have heard of it thanks to Metal Gear Solid 3. CQC was of enormous help to British soldiers in the trenches during the war; they were easily able to overwhelm their opponents who had not been trained in it.

Now, it's a set of techniques used by practically every army and police force in the world.

'Defendu' is a combination of the words 'defense' and 'kung fu'.

Edit: Incorrect spelling of 'defendu'

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    Quote Originally Posted by noname
    Gunfu. Ever heard of it? Guns > Martial Arts
    'Defensu' is a practical martial art that uses both a gun and a baton. It was invented early in the 20th century by an English officer in China, who combined martial arts with police weapons to create an effective way for police to defend themselves and suppress riots. It's great for situations where a gun isn't necessary but it's still good to keep one handy; it's also perfect for enclosed areas or close-quarters fighting where a melee weapon can be more practical at times.

Later on, Defensu was developed further and introduced to the military; the baton was replaced with a knife and the style became known as "CQC", short for close-quarters combat. Many of you will have heard of it thanks to Metal Gear Solid 3. CQC was of enormous help to British soldiers in the trenches during the war; they were easily able to overwhelm their opponents who had not been trained in it.

Now, it's a set of techniques used by practically every army and police force in the world.

'Defensu' is a combination of the words 'defense' and 'kung fu'.

Awesome Big D, thanks. I never knew that! You learn something new everyday.