Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IX Level One Ozma Challenge (This whole thread may contain spoilers)

Default Final Fantasy IX Level One Ozma Challenge (This whole thread may contain spoilers)

I've decided that I'm finally ready for another challenge after my FFX NSGIENC dissapointment. I've chosen the Final Fantasy IX Level One Ozma Challenge. In case you don't know what this challenge entails it is reaching Ozma and beating him without ever gaining a single level with any permanent character.

As with my other challenge threads I'll use this as a journal, anyone interested please post, I've been having a lot of fun with the challenge so far, if anyone else decides to start let me know.

As of now I just reached the first Qu's marsh and picked up Quina, the toughest boss battle so far was Black Waltz 1 + Sealion.
    Last edited by Necronopticous; 01-10-2005 at 07:47 AM.

Are you gonna explain to us how to do this? I'd be very interesting in hearing about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    This thread did not require Phoenix Down. Do not revive dead threads.

Just like usual in a low level game, run from every fight and let non-permanent characters take the exp in forced battles. I will post the boss strategies I use to beat bosses although the ones I've fought so far have been pretty simple. Sealion was sort of tough but I ended up beating him with three attacks from back row + 1 tidal flame.

Blog Entries

I've already done this challange. Gizamulake's Cave is nothing but a H-E-L-L!!!
    Oh, and you HAVE to steal the Fork weapon from that pig-beast in the hunters festival.
    You HAVE to do it.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

It's stop that lets you get AP without gaining any EXP, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    It's stop that lets you get AP without gaining any EXP, right?
    Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    I've already done this challange. Gizamulake's Cave is nothing but a H-E-L-L!!!
    Oh, and you HAVE to steal the Fork weapon from that pig-beast in the hunters festival.
    You HAVE to do it.
    Well, looks like I'll be starting over. So much for doing this challenge without a guide /sigh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    Well, looks like I'll be starting over. So much for doing this challenge without a guide /sigh
    Well... it's because there's only 1 way to kill the "unavoidable" battles with the blackmages in the cave. There's only 1 way to kill them without gaining EXP at this point in the game. You have to pertify them with the forkweapon that you can steal from that pig-beast-thing. Equip Add Effect and try to get as high spirit as possible with Quina by equiping different stuffs on him/her. Whenever you've won a battle against Black Mages without gaining EXP... try to get out of the cave and save before the next Black Mage battle. THIS is what makes the cave a hell.

Hope you didn't spend TOO much time with this so far. And hopefully it will be easier to get to your current point in the game on your second try. Don't worry. If I remember correctly this is the only point in the game where you have to restart if you miss something.

I'm starting over... Now. Let's hope for better this time around.

you guys are nuts doing the entire game without leveling up once just to beat osma

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sayen
    you guys are nuts doing the entire game without leveling up once just to beat osma
    No, not nuts. FREAKS!!!

To tell you the truth... I think the no leveling FFVI was MUCH whorse!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You sir are crazy. I can't even beat Ozma with level 70 characters, I'm not even going to think about doing it with level 1 characters.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Hey Ultima, stopping/stoning enemies sounds like it's going to be hell of tedious, give it to me straight, how bad is it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Pie!
    You sir are crazy. I can't even beat Ozma with level 70 characters, I'm not even going to think about doing it with level 1 characters.
    Kefka with level 6-10 etc characters was much harder. And Omega and Ultima Weapon (FFVIII) with only "commands" junctioned. But level 1 Ozma is still pretty tough.
    However... going trough most of the game at level 1 is much whorse than Ozma itself.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    Hey Ultima, stopping/stoning enemies sounds like it's going to be hell of tedious, give it to me straight, how bad is it?
    It's a bad... but not a hell when you are fighting weak creatures. Make sure Vivi have alot of spirit (spirit improves possibility of inflicting status effects) and equip weapons that inflict stop. Make sure you battle weak monsters who DON'T kill you in 1 move and keep casting stop. It takes time... a very long time. Don't bother getting useless abilities.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 01-10-2005 at 03:51 PM.

Sounds like fun, I plan on playing a good deal when I return from work today.