Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Warrior/Quest appreciation thread.

Default Dragon Warrior/Quest appreciation thread.

Wow, a whole page of stuff in the Square-Enix forum and only mention of DW/DQ is a Monsters title? Sad :rolleyes2

I'd like a shout out from everyone here who enjoys/loves/appreciates the greatest RPG series known to man (ok that's just my opinion ).

I'd also like you to list your favorite Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest game(s).

I'd have to say- Dragon Warrior 3, though mostly because I find it the most replayable. However, since I really love them all (except 5, I need to play that), here's some sub-categories for ya:

Best one game through - Dragon Warrior 7
    Most nostalgia - Dragon Warrior
    Most challenge - Dragon Warrior 2
    Most innovative (besides the first one) - Dragon Quest 6
    Best characters/ character development - Dragon Warrior 4

Oh, and also, 1up.com has been making this "Essential 50" game list, writing articles for the most influential/important video games in chronological order, and they just recently got to Dragon Quest/Warrior 1, their 20th article. Check it out! (There's also a really good read on Super Mario Bros. there, might wanna read that).

Thanks for any appreciation of these wonderful games to come in this thread

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Hear, hear!

I also love the Dragon Warrior series.

Two thumbs up!
    Figaro Castle

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

Dragon Warrior is great. One of the coolest scenes in video game history is the conversation with DragonLord at the end of Dragon Warrior 1. It's got a nice WTF factor to it.

I can't decide whether the 1st or 3rd is my favorite. They're both great. I'm leaning towards Dragon Warrior 3. I love that game so much. Now that it is on the gameboy it is even better. I can play DW3 anywhere!

I've only played Dragon Warrior 1-4, 7, and Monsters 1 and 2. Never played the Japanese only versions 5 and 6.

I have to say I don't really like 4. I don't like the way the other party members fight by themselves. I'm just uncomfortable with that. It also flows a lot slower than 3.

Dragon Warrior monsters is fun. I must admit it is very addicting. And it's great to see all those nasty final bosses in one game.

I still need to finish Dragon Warrior 7. I'll get around to it, but I don't think it is happening in the near future.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I thought Dragon Warrior VII was terrible. It was too hard, and wasn't fun enough for the challenge to be enjoyable. It's also too slow to get going and the abilities and jobs weren't anything special.

Otherwise I love this series. Here's what I think:

I - Classic. Good because it is a classic, a nice quick game that has it's place and time.

II - This is my least favorite of the NES DWs. It was just kind of 'eh', for lack of a better word.

III - Best one. Selecting your party was very FFIish, and that was a great game too. I liked the class change system, it allowed for some interesting combinations and allowed you to mold your characters into whatever you wanted.

IV - The not-control-your-party was kind of annoying, but this was still a good game. I liked that the characters had personalities again and you got to see some of their background before the main story started. Taloon was so cool.

V - Just started this one and it is kind of odd, but still better than VII. After battles the monster sometimes asks to join you and that is your party. I hope I get some human players eventually but it doesn't look like it. Weird but innovative.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I'm a large fan of the series, and I agree, VII is insanely hard, i'm at the VERY LAST dungeon and having a horrible rough time. I quit and restart and have almost 100 hours of gameplay and only have 1 advanced class.

I'd say IV is my favorite. I thought it was rather realistic that you could only control certain characters and the others fought for themselves and had decent AI for the NES.

I is just Nostalgia

II and III i haven't played much.

V haven't played much

VI I dunno if I like this one.

I'm waiting for VIII to be released

Ah, I like the old Dragon Warrior games. Played them before I ever did FF. Haven't had a chance to play of the newer (DW) games since 5.

My favorites in order:

1. DW4
    2. DW2
    3. DW3
    4. DW1
    "You may say that though Zanarkand is gone from this world, it lives on in the song."

Quote Originally Posted by Jecht Shot
    Haven't had a chance to play of the newer (DW) games since 5.
    I know they're "technically" newer than the old ones... but 5 came out in '92, 6 in '94... so they're not that *new*

Glad to see a few good DW fans at least! Quite the underrated series in America, if you ask me!

Ok, let me rephrase that:

they're new to me. Happy?
    "You may say that though Zanarkand is gone from this world, it lives on in the song."

DW7 lacks characters' development, and I'm still confused why it is called RPG if there is no roles to play. Characers advances so slowly that I can't notice they do at all.
    I prefer FFs.
    Stop the Earth! I want to get out!...

Dragon Warrior 7 is more of an RPG than the last 4 FFs.

FFs seriously mess with peoples brains...in DW7, just because your characters don't get easy levels every 5 minutes so they can shoot up to level 99 and have 100,000 hitpoints, doesn't mean it's not an RPG (what does the speed/quantity of leveling have to do with it?). Each level in a Dragon Warrior game means something for your character. A noteable difference that can make the difference between winning and losing key battles. And you have to work hard for those levels. DW games don't hand you everything on a silver platter, sorry.

And character development is not synonymous with leveling your characters. Character development has to do with making each character's personality have some depth, some uniqueness to it. Giving them a backstory, a reason to be playing the game, a specific role in your game. Dragon Warrior 7 does that in every way.

Chzn8r, prob we have different DW7. In my DW7 no personality could be seen, lol.
    Stop the Earth! I want to get out!...

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I agree. I didn't think that game was innovative at all.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

i tell you it relly made me mad when the remake of IV didint come out in the U.S like it sed it whoud on the back of the book for VII. i whoud have so got that game.
    i hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on hara-kiri Rock. I NEED SCISSORS !61!

Yeah, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudySky
    Chzn8r, prob we have different DW7. In my DW7 no personality could be seen, lol.
    You also don't need 20 FMVs of love-making to show "personality"...

And yeah, the remake of DW4 would've been fantastic... one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever.