Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can FFVI rom be edited to be harder?

Default Can FFVI rom be edited to be harder?

I've heard about rom editing, and this is just a wild idea. How hard would it be to find and edit all the monster stats (like HP up 20% and attack power up 30% for all monsters)? Let me guess, wishful thinking. Heh. It would make the game a lot more intense and strategic.

Kefka at the end needs 200% more hit points and 50% more attack power :laugh: The first Atma Weapon boss needs a big boost too (he gets his own battle music and yet he sucks!! :o) 6 of 8 dragons are weak, and DoomGaze is a joke.

The game is just too easy for experienced players. Sure the first time we played it it was hard, but now it's just a big ownage fest (including 90% of the bosses). I mean heck, I don't even train my guys and still beat bosses in 5 hits :rolleyes: Or maybe Gau just needs to be nerfed :laugh:

I would *assume* that it can be done. I'm not sure how hard it would be though. Now that I think about it, I think I've seen a ROM editor floating around somewhere. Mods, is it okay to attach a ROM editor?

I'm pretty sure I did it before and no one had a problem with it.

http://aaron.fools-gold.org/ff3ed.zip
    http://aaron.fools-gold.org/FF3usME60.zip

My own edit (which makes things vastly easier, amongst other monstrous changes) is posted in a thread I made awhile back, and I'll post it again:

http://aaron.fools-gold.org/aaronff6hack.zip

(The thread on FG linked to in the EoFF thread has now been deleted, thanks to the ex-staff members who decided it'd be a fun idea to delete half the forums on the board; I'll get to reposting it later, when I feel like mucking around in phpMyAdmin).
    Last edited by The Man; 08-29-2003 at 07:31 PM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Wow, is it hard to edit things in the game? Do you have to be a programmer to know what you're doing, or is it all laid out in simple terms? This sounds like great fun. If I could do this, I'll make an expert version of the game. Since I'm a perfectionist it would turn out great.

It's not really that hard, but unfortunately, neither program works EXACTLY like it's supposed to... for example, you're supposed to be able to edit the appearance of world map tiles in the ff3ed program, but you're actually only able to edit the layout. There's a bunch of other bugs in the ff3ed program; I get the impression that it was never properly "finished." The FF3usME60 program works a hell of a lot better; unfortunately, its use is more limited ;x I don't think you really need to be a programmer to do it, but it's somewhat frustrating, to say the least.

Also, I think there was an "expert" version of the game on Zophar's Domain somewhere, but I can't be bothered searching for it, mostly because I don't have the time to do so at the moment =P

Hmm, I checked that site and it seems like Zophar only has a few roms there (no FF games). Well I'll check out the software, and create a copy of my FFVI rom to mess with. Thanks.

No problem.

I could've SWORN that there was a harder version of FFVI SOMEWHERE. Hm, maybe it wasn't at zophar.net. I dunno, though. Anyway, good luck and stuff

There are several hardtype hacks. Personally, I think this is one of the better ones.

http://members.aol.com/shiromesa/hardtype.html
    I now and forever will hate the following:

Nintendo
    Final Fantasy Origins

Well those programs are suprizingly easy to use. I'm in the process of adding 20% to each monster's HP and 20% to their levels. The level variable seems to affect attack power more than any other variable. Narshe Guards were doing 3,000 HP damage at level 99. Since I'm going by percentage, the changes will become more significant as the game goes on, forcing you to stop and train your guys before moving on. The only question is, will these changes be too little, too much or just right? Bosses may get special treatment (especially the weaker ones).

I will also be increasing the prices of all items by a certain percentage, which means they will also go up exponentially throughout the game. This is good because in the World of Ruin GP was never really an issue.

I also fixed that one monster you first see in the Magitek Facility that never had enough MP to cast Life 3. He now has 100 MP instead of 35

I'll post more in a minute... *switches computers*

*edit* Poof, I'm back.

I'm also making minor additions to the dialogue. It won't be much, mostly townspeople. But there may be a couple of suprises. I won't alienate the story in any way.

Since the battle music gets too repetitive, I'm thinking about only having the battle music play on harder battles (either 4 or more enemies or formations that contain strong monsters). We'll see how that goes.

I won't be doing anything to the characters, items or weapons. Monster abilities, rages, sketches, items stolen and itemize will not change.

If this version turns out to be good, I'll host it up for anyone who is interested.
    Last edited by i90east; 08-30-2003 at 07:45 PM.

I wound up taking the battle music out of prettymuch every non-boss battle in the game in my version, tho' if I had it to do over again, I'd probably only take it out of all the battles that didn't appear on the world map. If you remove the battle music, make sure you also remove the Victory Fanfare at End of Battle, since otherwise the music will restart after you've finished the battles.

Interesting stuff; I'll be interested to see what it plays like when you're done.

For anyone who cares, it's turning out real good. I'm testing it, and right now I'm at Zozo trying to get Terra. The boss there still died in 3 hits. Man, that guy needs some major HP. So I added 7,000 to him (he had 3,500 originally) :laugh:, and I'll try fighting him again next time I play. Anyways, it's great, there are parts where you have to use expert strategy to survive. It's not impossibly hard though, it's just right IMO. Sabin had Fire Dance before I got Gau :laugh:. Shadow left me before I went on the mystery train That never happened before. Heh.

I added monsters to random battles (of the same type), which also contributes to making the game more challenging. The only problem is, when you add too many monsters, the display messes up, and you only see pieces of the monsters. I've already had to fix 4 random battle formations because of this... stupid game engine.

I'd prefer to continue working on it before offering, because it would allow me to fix any problems.

Damn. As if I didn't have enough to do I just stumbled upon this thread.

Ah well. I'm sure it'll be a productive editing experience. *grins* Much like my travesties of FFI were. Heh.

Thanks for the links all, this should be fun.

Okay, this is interesting. *snatches ROM editior*

Humm,this looks,really interesting,my friend,I surely hope to get my hands on your version of that marvel of Squaresoft,keep on' the great work,it looks really more rough n' tough just how I like my ffs.

This sounds fun... unfortunately I just started a new game of FFVI on PSX so it would be foolish of me to start anew.