Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Over-rated games?

Thumbs up Over-rated games?

I was curious as to which popular games everyone has played that they feel are generally over-rated.

I was recently playing A Link to the Past (GBA port) and it sort of inspired me to bring it up. I guess because it's one of the more highly acclaimed titles in the Zelda series.

Well, I think I first started playing ALttP a year or two ago, after it had been ported to the GameBoy Advance. I remember hearing about it back in the SNES era, but never really had the chance to play. It was okay at first, but for something be re-released as a modern title, I felt the graphics were just a bit out-dated. (which isn't necessarily a valid complaint, because it IS just a port) That aside, the biggest problem was the first major difficulty spike I encountered when entering the Dark World for the first time. It was basically a war-zone crammed full of powerful enemies. It wasn't so difficult that I couldn't eventually adapt, but for that particular moment in the game, it was a radical shift from one level to another.

The second difficulty spike came when I entered the Ice Palace. I was pretty familiar with the Dark World at that point, but the Ice Palace was taking it up a whole other notch. Between trying to keep my health up and constantly getting lost, I had to reset quite a bit. I even put the game down for months at a time due to all the discouragement. Well, after finally getting that out of the way, here comes another difficulty spike -- Ganon's almighty tower! By this time, I had managed to collect most of the upgrades in the game, but it really didn't help me much. I remember just barely managing to crawl out of there with a fraction of health left, after having gone through 4 whole Blue Potions. The worst part is having to constantly back-track after saving in the middle of the dungeon, considering how lengthy it is.

Don't get me wrong, though -- I do love a challenge. The only problem with ALttP is that there isn't enough gameplay balance between difficulty shifts. It seems like the game merely throws you into the next level and expects you to either intuitively fend for yourself, or die trying.

That aside, it seems like there are some issues with equipment balance, also. For example, although you can upgrade your sword's attack power, you can never upgrade the effect of Link's beam attack. After you venture into the Dark World, this is quite tedious as you often have to strike enemies in an excess of 5 - 10 times in order to finish them off. Other items in the inventory generally aren't that effective, either, unless the enemy has some kind of weakness to them. (such as with the Fire Rod, which comes in handy quite a bit) This often contributes to the sharp difficulty balance, as well.

As for the story, nothing new there. Of course, we are talking about an SNES classic... I wasn't expecting anything particularly innovative, or anything that I haven't already seen in later installments. But otherwise, no real complaints.

Regarding the bonus content in the GBA port, I thought some of it was pretty interesting, but too short-lived. Four Swords, for example, was really more of a mini-game that had to be completed several times over. After a while, the friend I was playing with gave up on me before I could manage to get everything unlocked! But I did think Four Swords was pretty fun in its own right. It did manage to spawn a few sequels, after all. (if you also count Minish Cap, which borrowed many of the game's elements)

So, that's my little ALttP rant. The game probably would have been more appealing had I been given the chance to play it back in the day, but as far as modern appeal is concerned, it could have benefitted from a few changes. But it's definitely not something I would deem worthy of "Best SNES Game Ever." I think that spot is more reserved by games like "Super Mario All-Stars," or "Kirby's Dream Land 3." Maybe even "Super Metroid" ... (which is actually another game I played way after the SNES era had ended)

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

FFXII was highly over rated. A fun game with gorgeous graphics and enjoyable gameplay but crapy story, weak characters and bland boring music.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

I thought Final Fantasy XII had amazing characters because only one of them in the entire game was annoying at all. That's a huge step for Final Fantasy.

Anyway, Halo gets way more praise than it deserves.

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

I think there are a few over rated games just look at FF7 for example! great game no doubt but it was glitchy, over easy, crap graphics (even for the time), and had a terrible translation.....if it didnt have a killer story it would of been unforgivable! all i can say that its DEFINATELY NOT one of the best games ever! Ocarina of time yes...FF7 NO!

sorry about that little rant...and i know alot if not all of you have a special place in your heart reserved for FF7 but its just not the best thing ever!

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to play FFXII, unfortunately. I think it looks pretty good so far, (actually because of the story) but I've only seen bits and pieces of gameplay videos. I really enjoy anything Akitoshi Kawazu has worked on, including the defamed SaGa series.

i just hope the main character isn’t as annoying as Tidus! ha ha

Well the easiest answer that comes to mind for me is Halo, and a lot of other shooters. Maybe if I play Half-Life 2 I might actually fully enjoy a shooter for once, since Ryth recommended it.

Final Fantasy VII and VIII, Halo, Vagrant Story, and the Dragon Quest Series.

Lufia is quite the oposite, as it is a very underated Series, but thats another point entirely.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Tekken games, Kingdom Hearts games..

BTW, I think FF7 live up to its hype..
    Last edited by black orb; 02-09-2007 at 09:02 PM.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    FFXII was highly over rated. A fun game with gorgeous graphics and enjoyable gameplay but crapy story, weak characters and bland boring music.
    Weak characters? They've got more personality and style then some of the golden oldies . Bland boring music? I'm guessing we are an old fashioned FF music lover Each to their own I guess!

I will say FFVII, VIII are highly overrated. FFVII is a good game. However, I realised that after a while, it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Characters..are a bit dull.

FFVIII had great problems with character designs - good lord, can the main cast get any plainer? At least XII's had something to go on. Probably the only FF to have such bad character design.

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Quote Originally Posted by Setzer Gabianni View Post
    FFVIII had great problems with character designs - good lord, can the main cast get any plainer? At least XII's had something to go on. Probably the only FF to have such bad character design.
    This is one of the game's high points, I think. Most RPGs have such exotic character designs that tend to alienate the characters from their environments entirely. (check out the designs used by Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, for example) With Final Fantasy VIII, the characters were more down-to-earth and realistic.

Halo, Ocarina of Time, Vagrant Story, Soul Caliber, Grand Theft Auto.

I actually think Halo is very underrated. For every one person who likes it there are at least two who think it's crap only because it started out on a console made by Microsoft.

Anyway, Grand Theft Auto, XenoSUCKga, Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2, World of Warcraft, Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ocerina of Time, and every racing game ever made qualifies as overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Erdrick Holmes View Post
    I actually think Halo is very underrated. For every one person who likes it there are at least two who think it's crap only because it started out on a console made by Microsoft.
    No, it is. Every Xbox fan several years ago craved for a game to get there console attention. Halo was probably the first good game to come along to help them. Ever since then, they think this very by the books FPS is the greatest gaming franchise ever created. There is still a large minority who dont own any Microsoft system, who will just bash whatever comes from the console, without even playing it. Both sides are in the wrong.

This is coming from a 360 owner who thinks the system is great. Halo is a good series. But theres so much more better things coming from the system.

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

I think MGS is overrated...its good yeah, infact VERY good but no where near the greatest PS1 game ever like the mags make out...