Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Films Deserved Sequels?

Which Films Deserved Sequels?

This is a super simple topic from your beloved Devil Man!

Which films do you so, so, soooooo wish had a sequel? There must be some films you wish had sequels, right?

I wish Blade Runner had a sequel. That's one film that Needs a sequel to explain the mysteries of the first movie.

And... okay, it is a trilogy already, but I wish Lord of the Rings had a sequel. The Hobbit will be a movie one day, but I'd love to see a movie of the whole 'Akklabeth' Saga in The Silmarillion. You know how it goes... Sauron gets captured, taken to Numenor, tricks the King, the King sails to some island he isn't supposed to, and BOOM! Numenor gets whipped by the Gods and Sauron loses his body. That would make a great trilogy of it's own (For all the Tolkein fan-boys, yeah, don't get mad at the quick summing up) I wanna see more Tolkein movies! (Alright... they would be prequels, but you get the picture...)

Thats all I can think of for now. What about you?

Oh! And... yeah, you can add a sequel to a film that already has a sequel because... well... then, in your opinion, it is a film that still deserved a sequel, geddit?

Here's another one... I wish Terminator 2 had a decent sequel and not the pile of crap that was Terminator 3. I wish it had a true sequel with James Cameron behind the camera.
    Last edited by The Devil Man; 10-14-2006 at 08:37 PM.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Serenity really deserved a sequel. Of course, with Whedon, there's still hope, but he's stated that nothing's going to be happening anytime soon. The movie just didn't perform adequately at the box office. It's a shame, considering how fantastic it was.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Serenity really deserved a sequel. Of course, with Whedon, there's still hope, but he's stated that nothing's going to be happening anytime soon. The movie just didn't perform adequately at the box office. It's a shame, considering how fantastic it was.
    They should just bring back Firefly, dammit! Although it's not the same without (SPOILER)Wash and Book.

This is a more of a mini-series, but I would love to see a sequel to "the 10th Kingdom."

Also, this is rather random, but if "Labyrinth" had had a sequel or sequels in the 1980s, I would have enjoyed that.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most awesome movies I want more of are awesome because they have a great plot ie they tie up loose ends and don't leave room for a sequel unless it was already designed that way and thus said sequel exists. Everything I can think of would require a plot contrivance so daft it'd ruin the first movie.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Man View Post
    And... okay, it is a trilogy already, but I wish Lord of the Rings had a sequel. The Hobbit will be a movie one day, but I'd love to see a movie of the whole 'Akklabeth' Saga in The Silmarillion. You know how it goes... Sauron gets captured, taken to Numenor, tricks the King, the King sails to some island he isn't supposed to, and BOOM! Numenor gets whipped by the Gods and Sauron loses his body. That would make a great trilogy of it's own (For all the Tolkein fan-boys, yeah, don't get mad at the quick summing up) I wanna see more Tolkein movies! (Alright... they would be prequels, but you get the picture...)
    No, the the Silmarillion would make a horrible series of movies. The only main character you could have in the movie would be Ulmo, and that invalidates the movie right then and there, because Ulmo's thought of mind does not change (his personality). You might be able to make a movie out of Narn i Hin Hurn or the story of Beren/Luthien in the Lay of Leithian, but those stories are only twenty pages long (longer if you include the extra stuff from the third history book, and Unfinished Tales). You would spend more time on the exposition than the story itself, which is a poor way to make a movie.

The Akallabeth would also suck, because the history of the Downfall of Numenor takes place over three-thousand years; fifteen-hundred of those are not cast under the shadow at all. The only story to tell is Aldarion and Erendis, which is not something that could be something that anyone could relate to. And Sauron only appears within the last two-hundred years of the Downfall. If you turned that into a movie, 1000 years per hour, Sauron would only appear for three minutes, INCLUDING what happened in Middle-Earth simultaneously (which does play a part, whether you like it or not), and plot exposition? Fail.

They had enough trouble turning a saga over the course of nineteen years into an eleven and a half hour movie. Let's compare:
    Second Age, 3441 years
    First Age, years of the Sun
    Years of the Valar
    Before the World

I'm clocking over ninety-eight-thousand, six-hundred-forty hours worth of movie. TV shows combined, even with spin-offs, don't even last that long. And then you have time expansion and time compression, plot exposition, plot play out, multiple climaxes (not a sexual connotation), denoument, credits. Yeah, because I'm going to have the time to watch a one-million hour movie. I'm not going to be around for hree millenia, now am I?

I agree with MILF, most movies I could think of that warrant a sequel would destroy it.

I'd rather see a movie about a prince of cats.

i'll tell ya which movie should not have had a sequel....shanghai noon...good god the sequel was horrible. oh and they never should have made the two D&D movies that are out...though the second was leagues better than the first.

as for sequels i WANT to see....the star wars expanded universe maybe? see what happens to luke/leia/han afterwards

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

I wish Battle Royale didn't have such a crappy sequel that made no sense :(

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by tan View Post
    I wish Battle Royale didn't have such a crappy sequel that made no sense
    Yeah, I was so disappointed.

I'm also glad Saw got a sequel, even though they've gotten a bad reputation for some reason. I liked them both.

I can't think of anything, but Speed just so completely shouldn't have had a sequel.

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

Godzilla needed a sequel, but it wouldn't be as good as the first one.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    I'm also glad Saw got a sequel, even though they've gotten a bad reputation for some reason. I liked them both.
    Because they're really bad movies? xD

Quote Originally Posted by tan View Post
    I wish Battle Royale didn't have such a crappy sequel that made no sense
    I wish the original BR had properly exposed Kiriyama. Until I found it out from elsewhere, he really pissed on the movie, because he was a total deus ex machina who ruined pretty much everything for no literary reason, only to get rid of characters.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Napoleon Dynamite could so sequal well because, considering the fact that it had almost NO plot to it, the plot couldn't be ruined, so it'd just be up to the creators to keep up on the humor of it. I love ND.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Napoleon Dynamite could so sequal well because, considering the fact that it had almost NO plot to it, the plot couldn't be ruined, so it'd just be up to the creators to keep up on the humor of it. I love ND.
    That is a good point.

He could enter a stallion raising contest or something.