Thread: The new Spider-Man Movie

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The new Spider-Man Movie

I just watched the new spider man movie, and honestly I'm dissapointed. I'm sure like other people who will see it, I compared it to the maguire movies.

Firstly, when I heard they were doing a reboot, I figured they were going to make it apart of the marvel cinematice universe, but I found out it wasn't, since sony still had the rights.

The first half hour or so of the movie was just the origin story, which was annoying nd a bore to go over again. And it was a little weird. In the maguire movies he actually gets sick and nauseous because of the bite. In this movie he gets bit and then has his powers no problem. Then there is a short montage of him swinging around a warehouse with his abilities, testing them out, and building his webshooters etc. The maguire movie did the same but it was just paced better, and he seemed more cautious and experimental with his abilites.

Some things I did like about this movie was the fact that they had the webshooters, and it showed him making his costume, kind of, as it was montaged. In the first one people commented on the fact that maguire drew the standard spidey costume then showed up at the arena with what looked like gym clothes. However, I always wondered where he got his actual costume done, particularly since it had rubber lines for webs and such and just seemed more prefessionally done, than parker would've been able to do.

Also was the fact the in the maguire movie he confronted his uncles killer and is there when he accidentally falls out of the window and dies, giving peter a sense of the power and responsibility thing. However in this one, he doesn't find the killer, but decides to use his powers for good after saving a kid in a car. It just didn't feel like the emotional spark was there for him to become spider man like it was in the maguire movie. And on a side not, I did like in this movie that aunt may is more parent aged and brunette hair rather than the grandma looking one in the maguire ones.

Overall, the maguire movie just had better character development and plot development and pacing.

Of the two actors playing spider man, I prefer maguire. Although sometimes his character does seem too nerdy. Garfield was also nice and I like that he was thinner, as spider man is generally drawn with a thin build. But then I do like the maguire ones better.

It's a shame they cancelled spider man 4 to work on this disappointing one. They could've kept the same general storyline. i don't understand why they even needed to do a reboot.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Xalibar; 07-04-2012 at 04:02 AM.