Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Child-Birth... why do women make such a fuss?

Ball of Pure being sephirothishere's Avatar

I'll jump off the roof of a nine-story building. As long as I'm wearing a cup, it's cool, righ
    good one....hhehehehe.....im not sayin anythin.... : /........

Sephiro this here.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=26934

[qq]Women feel pain more than men despite the popular notion that the opposite is true, according to research.

One example of this is the different strategies men and women use to cope with pain. Whilst women tend to focus on the emotional aspects of pain they experience, men tend to focus on the sensory aspects, for example concentrating on the physical sensations they experience.

‘Our research has shown that whilst the sensory-focused strategies used by men helped increase their pain threshold and tolerance of pain, it was unlikely to have any benefit for women,' said Dr Keogh.

‘Women who concentrate on the emotional aspects of their pain may actually experience more pain as a result, possibly because the emotions associated with pain are negative.'[/qq]

Dunno if it's true. I'm happy being male, either way.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My arse.

I don't feel pain because I have better things to do. I simply choose not to.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    Hint: MEN researchers. Probably dunces like Devilman too

Seriously, my sister passed a kidney stone the size of an olive and had an 8 lb ("easy") baby. She, like Sammiebabe, was adamant on not having any painkiller, to "feel the childbirth experience" or some romantic stuff like that. After passing a kidney stone that big, she thought she could handle anything... :rolleyes2

After the 5th hour of contractions she couldn't take it anymore. It was like "give me drugs now"! And guess what, she told me that even WITH the epidural painkiller childbirth hurt a lot more than her kidney stone.

I had epidural for all my 3 kids (are you nuts ? Why suffer pain you can avoid ?) but my first took 21 hours so the painkillers wore off. And it was too close to childbirth to take another dose
    It hurts like hell! Feels like being ripped apart in half and having to be awake, helping the process. I wanted to beat up my husband into a pulp if he ever pointed "that thing" towards me again getting me pregnant.

But Devilman does have a point. Holding your own kid in your arms after it does make it all worth it. So I apologized to hubby for being so grouchy and thanked him for his supporting role I also had to ask forgiveness from my doctor for calling him a quack just because he wouldn't give me epidural #2 :rolleyes2 Hell hath no fury like a woman in labor!

Add the end result - a baby - to the swirl of hormones you get during pregnancy and breastfeeding and sure enough, most of us women will be there 2-3 years later having another kid, completely forgetting how painful it was the first time!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=26934
    Women feel pain more than men despite the popular notion that the opposite is true, according to research.

One example of this is the different strategies men and women use to cope with pain. Whilst women tend to focus on the emotional aspects of pain they experience, men tend to focus on the sensory aspects, for example concentrating on the physical sensations they experience.

‘Our research has shown that whilst the sensory-focused strategies used by men helped increase their pain threshold and tolerance of pain, it was unlikely to have any benefit for women,' said Dr Keogh.

‘Women who concentrate on the emotional aspects of their pain may actually experience more pain as a result, possibly because the emotions associated with pain are negative.'
    Hmmm... then there's this:
    Chronic Pain
    CONCLUSIONS: There are important gender differences in treatment-seeking patients with chronic pain. Males report higher levels of pain and disability, with reduced physical and psychological quality of life, as compared to females. These differences in treatment-seeking patients may reflect gender differences in treatment-seeking behavior.
    So women are more likely to be afraid of pain itself making it worse and men are less likely to seek help when they are in pain making it worse.

tit for tat.

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    After the 5th hour of contractions she couldn't take it anymore. It was like "give me drugs now"! And guess what, she told me that even WITH the epidural painkiller childbirth hurt a lot more than her kidney stone.
    I guess that answers the kidney stone question.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    When your in pain,do you have a smile on your face? If I gave you a chocolate cake, an then repeatedly kicked you in the crotch afterwards. Would you say: "oh beautiful goddesses" smile, an proudly hold your chocolate cake in your arms? Because I don't think you would.
    Not ment for me but I will answer anyways :P. Answer is yes, as long as I still have my tolerance from my wrestling years anyways. Just trust me on that, I got insane pain tolerance when it comes to low blowing me. If you really want to make me cry give me a paper cut... those things HURT.

Both Dr Unne's and Arrianna's, I can easily believe both of those.

As for DevilMan....... whatever he is one must be quite strong.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Quote Originally Posted by ShunNakamura View Post
    When your in pain,do you have a smile on your face? If I gave you a chocolate cake, an then repeatedly kicked you in the crotch afterwards. Would you say: "oh beautiful goddesses" smile, an proudly hold your chocolate cake in your arms? Because I don't think you would.
    Not ment for me but I will answer anyways :P. Answer is yes, as long as I still have my tolerance from my wrestling years anyways. Just trust me on that, I got insane pain tolerance when it comes to low blowing me. If you really want to make me cry give me a paper cut... those things HURT.

Both Dr Unne's and Arrianna's, I can easily believe both of those.

As for DevilMan....... whatever he is one must be quite strong.
    I think it would be highly improbable that anybody could take me kicking them for the length of time I'm capable of doing it. My average days exercise involves me practising my kicks repetitively for at least half an hour. An that's not me exerting myself! So whoever excepted my challenge, would be getting kicked for half an hour repeatedly at the least.

as a guy i dont know what this feels like so i'm making crap up but you try crapping something the size of a baby out of you and you'll probably find why girls scream and stuff while giving birth
    Making a slow come back since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Man
    So Devil Man would like to ask... why do women make such a fuss over Child Birth? It can't be that hard, can it?
    I'll let you know in 10 years time!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So Devil Man would like to ask... why do women make such a fuss over Child Birth? It can't be that hard, can it?
    Have you ever got your head stuck in a door, and tried to escape by walking through the gap? Imagine how the door feels

Tsk tsk Devil Man.

I will never really know what women go through when having a baby because I'm a guy.

What I do know is that the millions of women that complain about the horrible pains of child birth cannot be wrong. The pain can be compared to a man trying to void a football. It would be very very painful.

Given that comparison, it amazes me, Devil Man, that you would be so immature to not understand how terrible it would be. It would be very difficult to smile, as you say, during that process. The miracle of life is not about physical beauty, least of all during birth. Women have to go through periods, birth itself and later menopause just to keep our race alive. Your mother did the same. Life is beautiful in this way, not through physical beauty.

It makes Devil Man appreciate the beauty of women a little bit less.
    If anything it should make you appreciate them more. Women go through all this pain to keep the human race alive. Yet here you are, selfish enough to feel that women are less beautiful because they can't smile while they are trying to push out a 5 pound living organism through a small passage.

They smile enough after. They went through all that to have a child to love and nurture; that is beautiful enough. They don't need to smile while going through one of the most painful things possible.
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 10-09-2006 at 09:09 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Maybe we should tie a rope to the father's balls, and he mother would pull it each time it hurts. That way, men will get more into it!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

I think it would be highly improbable that anybody could take me kicking them for the length of time I'm capable of doing it. My average days exercise involves me practising my kicks repetitively for at least half an hour. An that's not me exerting myself! So whoever excepted my challenge, would be getting kicked for half an hour repeatedly at the least.
    Well being kicked 'anywhere' for half an hour straight is going to induce a little bit of pain at least(depending on various factors such as kicker's strength/skill, defenders pain resistance/physical endurance). I figured since you mentioned the groin that you meant multiple times in a specific region(as in 10 kicks give or take 5, which I have taken from my brother[12kicks I think] before, no biggie there).

As for being kicked for half an hour. If the kicker has any muscle at all the person being kicked should need hospital care after words. I know that after half an hour of being kicked by me most people would not be left standing(unless they were defending themself; as in mitigating the damage per kick to almost anything, but if that is allowed I will stand again by my statement that you are free to kick me for as long as you like :P, if I can mitigate, you will just end up tiring yourself).

Hmm... as to mirage's statement.... I fear that could cut off circulation... which would be BAD. may or may not hurt, but it could cause permanant damage :P.

How about we just create a pain transfer allocation device to shift pain from one person to the next. Then you could get all your women freinds who are pregnant to shift the pain to DevilMan :P. Just imagine if two or three were birthing at once :P.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Quote Originally Posted by ShunNakamura View Post
    Well being kicked 'anywhere' for half an hour straight is going to induce a little bit of pain at least(depending on various factors such as kicker's strength/skill, defenders pain resistance/physical endurance). I figured since you mentioned the groin that you meant multiple times in a specific region(as in 10 kicks give or take 5, which I have taken from my brother[12kicks I think] before, no biggie there).

As for being kicked for half an hour. If the kicker has any muscle at all the person being kicked should need hospital care after words. I know that after half an hour of being kicked by me most people would not be left standing(unless they were defending themself; as in mitigating the damage per kick to almost anything, but if that is allowed I will stand again by my statement that you are free to kick me for as long as you like :P, if I can mitigate, you will just end up tiring yourself).
    No, that isn't allowed, since the point is enduring pain. If it's not painful that would defeat the objective. An they wouldn't be left standing after one kick, let alone half an hours worth. But that's no problem, I have no scruples about kicking people when their down. An as for mitigating an tiring me out, with my training, that would be highly unlikely to happen.
    How about we just create a pain transfer allocation device to shift pain from one person to the next. Then you could get all your women freinds who are pregnant to shift the pain to DevilMan :P. Just imagine if two or three were birthing at once :P
    If only we had the technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Maybe we should tie a rope to the father's balls, and he mother would pull it each time it hurts. That way, men will get more into it!
    That reminds me of an article Dave Barry wrote one time. Specifically this part:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Barry
    My wife thinks the only fair system would be if, every time the woman had a contraction, she got to hit her husband on the body part of her choice with a ball-peen hammer. Of course, she is kidding. But only because her contractions have not yet started.
    In case some of you don't know what a ball-peen hammer is, wonder no more!
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.