Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

8 22.22%
  • no

4 11.11%
  • sometimes

14 38.89%
  • Is my girlfriend / wife around ....*looks around*...

2 5.56%
  • Yes and it is very sevre for them

1 2.78%
  • no I think you should think defferently love hurts this is sexist

7 19.44%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Girls are more easy than guys to please the shopping Gods and Godess BABES

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    People buy jeans that look like they've been worn for years and spend over $100 on them.
    Who the hell spends £100 on jeans? xD
    100£ is almost twice as much as $100 <,<.
    And many do, Shauna.

And yes, quality often has a lot more to do with the price when it comes to electronics, compared to clothing, where you often pay tons just to have a certain brand name on it. Unless you're buying Apple stuff.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by ShunNakamura
    I think Bob is being a bit unclear. I don't see it as girls buying unnecisary things. Rather they buy things that bring little benifits.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that I am a bookaholic. Put me in a bookstore and any money I have wil be gone. However, I literally read them until they fall apart. In addition every book I read I gain knowledge from. Even if it is as simple as learning a new word or two that I can use to make my points more clear. In games many of them require some form of viable strategy. This forms and builds problem solving abilities. In addition games build up hand eye cordination and in some cases reaction times.

In addition the male stuff(a new computer, new car, new game), tends to last longer for the male then a new pair of shoes or a new dress lasts for a female. Which makes the worth greater in my mind. The more use you get out of it the better it is.

So I guess what it is is that the male purchases are in general a better overall investment then the steroitypical female. Though neither one is a bad investment if done in moderation, and both are bad investments if done excessively.
    Ah ah, still doesnt wash. I know computers. Five years ago I spent $250 on a top of the line monitor for graphic art. Now I can get the same monitor for $10. However when I was married I spent $400 on silk for a wedding dress. Ive worn it twice. It is worth more now then it was when I was married. Ive had the same pair of shoes for 9 years and wear them at least once a week. Do you have the same computer you did 9 years ago?

Youre still trying to justify the expence based on percieved value but value depends entirely on the person, their wants and needs.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    Give me $1000 and let me loose at Fry's and you'll think I was a mad woman during a Columbus day sale at JCPenney.
    The truth.

"but it's the newest version with a ___ processer!"
    translation
    "but it's so cute and shiny, I have to have it!"
    But that's not the truth. We want it because it is actually better, not because it looks shinier and stuff, that's the reasoning a girl uses when she wants a new thing.
    Yes, because it makes the internet run so much faster. ;)

Just because it's better doesn't mean you NEED it anymore then a lady NEEDS 7 pairs of shoes. And as long as there's a clear spot somewhere in their "cave" the men I know figure they have room for whatever takes their fancy. I have one friend with at least 9 monitors (set up), 20 or 30 computers (mostly 486's and P1's with 4 or 5 P2's), and other electronics gallore. Another friend collects car parts. We constantly joke that he has a new car, one part at a time.

I also wouldn't make comments about women shopping sales considering the way I've seen my guy friends drool everytime there's a sale at Best Buy or Staples. ( I won't even mention Big Lots.)
    Now you're straying away from my point. He's buying it because it performs better, faster, stronger, etc. Not because it's more aesthetically pleasing.
    You said he bought it because it was "shiny", but that's just not true. Unless your guy is very strange :p. I don't know anyone who cares about the physical appearance of their CPU. Whether or not he needs that power varies. If he works with heavy stuff like 3D modelling, Photoshop or other heavy applications, I'm sure he needs it. Not everyone upgrades their PC solely for entertainment purposes. And very many men use their computers for more than "the internet", which isn't affected by the CPU speed anyway.
    However, I know people who style their PCs, but that's not related to it's internal parts or its functionality.

But sure, I'm sure stylish and cool clothes serve a purpose too, such as increasing social status among people that judge other people by what they wear.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I cannot possibly fathom why anyone would buy something that has less than one use, and lasts less than a month for usefullness. I have a shirt that is five years old, and I still wear it frequently.

Why is it not allowed to wear the same thing more than once (or not at all for that matter?). I wear my shoes everywhere I go, and have had them for at least a year, and they still look almost new. People just need to take better care of the things they have. Fashion is overrated, a fad, and drains money that people need to live. If you buy a book, at least you learn SOMETHING by reading it. For clothes, you learn that you are conceited and a waste of space.

While you are out buying clothes, and not ever using them, there are people who have to live on less than $2 a day. You spoiled hypocrites. You justify your excessive spending, despite other people who have not the ability to do what you do. How would you feel if YOU were the one in the worse economic situation, and you knew that people were making money off of your suffering?

And without that PC that you so attack, how would you even be able to argue this topic with people? People make upgrades so that they can actually do something with it, not because it looks cool. Things devalue because technology grows, and becomes better. As it gets better, you use it as you need to be able to do things.

But sure, I'm sure stylish and cool clothes serve a purpose too, such as increasing social status among people that judge other people by what they wear.
    Why should people care what other people think of them? What an absolutely USELESS way to get self-approval. And what if you are wrong with what other people think? People who care what other people wear daily need help, because they themselves are uncomfortable with losing the influence that they exert over others.

While I myself am quite shopping crazy (as is the rest of my family, even the males), none of the males buy anything that doesn't have a use past a month (unless it is less than five dollars, or is food). All the females (except my sister) will buy, spend, buy, and spend more in a day than I make in five years based on Christmas and Birthday money alone.

Give me $1000 and let me loose at Fry's and you'll think I was a mad woman during a Columbus day sale at JCPenney.
    The truth.

translation
    But that's not the truth. We want it because it is actually better, not because it looks shinier and stuff, that's the reasoning a girl uses when she wants a new thing.
    Yes, because it makes the internet run so much faster.

Just because it's better doesn't mean you NEED it anymore then a lady NEEDS 7 pairs of shoes. And as long as there's a clear spot somewhere in their "cave" the men I know figure they have room for whatever takes their fancy. I have one friend with at least 9 monitors (set up), 20 or 30 computers (mostly 486's and P1's with 4 or 5 P2's), and other electronics gallore. Another friend collects car parts. We constantly joke that he has a new car, one part at a time.

I also wouldn't make comments about women shopping sales considering the way I've seen my guy friends drool everytime there's a sale at Best Buy or Staples. ( I won't even mention Big Lots.)
    Now you're straying away from my point. He's buying it because it performs better, faster, stronger, etc. Not because it's more aesthetically pleasing.
    You said he bought it because it was "shiny", but that's just not true.
    And your being to anal (I CAN'T believe "I" am having to say this) and taking a symbolic comparison literally.
    Not everyone upgrades their PC solely for entertainment purposes. And very many men use their computers for more than "the internet", which isn't affected by the CPU speed anyway.
    No but he said that he upgraded his for a game so I was responding to him. I am not attacking PC's. I love my laptop. Oh yes I do... It can run Photoshop and Illustrator simultaniously. I do not claim however that my wants are needs. I am merely bursting a misogynist veiw that what a man buys is "practical" but a woman shopping is just unbridaled spending. It's a steriotype that needs to DIE!

i like to buy lighter bike parts for my bike so when i go off of quarter pipes i get more air or just to hop on to higher rails

but that rarely happens,so i can't possibly be a shopping freak

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel
    Why should people care what other people think of them? What an absolutely USELESS way to get self-approval. And what if you are wrong with what other people think? People who care what other people wear daily need help, because they themselves are uncomfortable with losing the influence that they exert over others.
    I don't know why, because I don't do it. However, I know there are pleny of people who do, just stating a fact.

The truth.

translation
    Yes, because it makes the internet run so much faster. ;)

And your being to anal (I CAN'T believe "I" am having to say this) and taking a symbolic comparison literally.
    Not everyone upgrades their PC solely for entertainment purposes. And very many men use their computers for more than "the internet", which isn't affected by the CPU speed anyway.
    No but he said that he upgraded his for a game so I was responding to him. I am not attacking PC's. I love my laptop. Oh yes I do...:love: It can run Photoshop and Illustrator simultaniously. I do not claim however that my wants are needs. I am merely bursting a misogynist veiw that what a man buys is "practical" but a woman shopping is just unbridaled spending. It's a steriotype that needs to DIE!
    Thanks for calling me anal, appreciate it. So what did you try to symbolise with the world shiny? Sure, perhaps not "aesthetically pleasing", but you must have meant something that didn't have to do with it's performance, right? And okay, your boy might have wanted it just to play games. My bad, I was thinking in general.

On the issue of him having tons of old PC; I do too, but that's because I don't throw them away when I buy new stuff. And you really do need to upgrade once in a while, I don't think any of those P2s and down would allow one to work effeciently with Windows XP. And very many programs need XP nowadays.

And well, for example, buying new shoes isn't a bad thing, it's pretty practical to have a few pairs. But paying twice just cause they are of a special brand, and then having to get a new pair just half a year later is a complete waste, I'd say (Unless ofcourse they are of a brand that is known to be of very high quality, in which case you shouldn't have to get a new pair in just half a year). Granted, not only girls do this, but my impression is that it's moer common for girls to do it. Ofcourse, my impression is based on a very small percentage of the female population, so I'm not going to say this is a fact.
    I personally use my clothes and shoes until they are worn out. But I don't go looking for the lamest looking stuff when I actually do buy clothes.

Oh also, we've got a nice pyramid now, don't stop it :D.
    Last edited by Mirage; 07-22-2006 at 03:15 AM.

HAHA! anal! I GET IT!

You two are angering the shopping godesses. I mean, do you seriously have to debate everthing for 234234 pages? (pointed out by me for sheer added irony! )

(SPOILER)I do

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Ah ah, still doesnt wash. I know computers. Five years ago I spent $250 on a top of the line monitor for graphic art. Now I can get the same monitor for $10. However when I was married I spent $400 on silk for a wedding dress. Ive worn it twice. It is worth more now then it was when I was married. Ive had the same pair of shoes for 9 years and wear them at least once a week. Do you have the same computer you did 9 years ago?
    Actually I do. An old Apple LCIII(I think that is what it was) that I still used up til I needed some space a while ago. Or to run tests on slower computers. I also had my old computer laptop from 6 years ago(up til a few months, got scrapped to use as repair parts for someone elses computer I was fixing)... as well as an old desktop that is about 7 years old and finally a newer computer so that I could do college stuff(all my others can't handle some of the programs we are required to use in the computer majors here).
    Youre still trying to justify the expence based on percieved value but value depends entirely on the person, their wants and needs.
    Nope, I am basing it off the use you get out of it. Wearing something twice means you used it twice. If you spen 400$ that means you get 200$ a use. My computers have seen use for the whole time I have had them, and are just recently being retired(mainly cause I end up needing parts for older computers brought to me or in the case of the apple I needed space and it was the one least used). Also my families first computer has still seen some use in that I needed an old sound card and lucked out that or first IBM computer had one compatable with the guy's computer. In addition an old laptop my dad had, went to someone who wanted a computer on compass to take notes(since it was allowed and they always lose paper notes). And old ancient laptop with like 32mb or ram and win95 on it. It is still usefull and being used.

I am not sure what went into the other computers but I know dad paid 20$ at the time(garage sale for the win) for the Apple LCIII(or whatever), and it lasted for many years(one of, if not the first computer we got) so I say it was worth the purchase price. My laptop( the 6 year old one) had about 300$ put into it since I built it from scraps my dad found cheap on ebay. In addition I the parts that I scavenged from it fixed two other computers as of late. Once again I think I got more then my initial investment out of it(two computer repair jobs, and the use for school and college it has served). My newest one bought for my college schooling due to the programs being much more powerful then what my old laptop could handle(though it gave a good effort at it), I have had 1 1/2 years(and it wasn't new when we got it, once again it was scrap parts I was bringing in), and it has been used in nearly all my college applications as well as in web design and programming for various sources. It may not have brought in its worth yet(costed me about 500$ to get it all together if I recall right), however, it will most likely last me another 2-3 years at least as a side computer to test applications/web pages/etc on.

Also speaking of fancy clothers, I got several suits, and I wear them regularly even to my college classes, so just cause clothing is fancy doesn't mean you shouldn't wear it on a regular basis, clothing should always be applicable in everyday situations.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

I voted "Yes and it is very sevre for them" because Aralith's vote was lonely.

Thank you Hysterian!

I don't see what's so wrong with shopping. Apart from the fact that there are people all around me, stinky, horrible people. I mean, I'M BUYING STUFF. FOR ME.
    What could be wrong with that?

The truth.

translation
    Yes, because it makes the internet run so much faster.

No but he said that he upgraded his for a game so I was responding to him. I am not attacking PC's. I love my laptop. Oh yes I do... It can run Photoshop and Illustrator simultaniously. I do not claim however that my wants are needs. I am merely bursting a misogynist veiw that what a man buys is "practical" but a woman shopping is just unbridaled spending. It's a steriotype that needs to DIE!
    Thanks for calling me anal, appreciate it. So what did you try to symbolise with the world shiny? Sure, perhaps not "aesthetically pleasing", but you must have meant something that didn't have to do with it's performance, right? And okay, your boy might have wanted it just to play games. My bad, I was thinking in general.

On the issue of him having tons of old PC; I do too, but that's because I don't throw them away when I buy new stuff. And you really do need to upgrade once in a while, I don't think any of those P2s and down would allow one to work effeciently with Windows XP. And very many programs need XP nowadays.

And well, for example, buying new shoes isn't a bad thing, it's pretty practical to have a few pairs. But paying twice just cause they are of a special brand, and then having to get a new pair just half a year later is a complete waste, I'd say (Unless ofcourse they are of a brand that is known to be of very high quality, in which case you shouldn't have to get a new pair in just half a year). Granted, not only girls do this, but my impression is that it's moer common for girls to do it. Ofcourse, my impression is based on a very small percentage of the female population, so I'm not going to say this is a fact.
    I personally use my clothes and shoes until they are worn out. But I don't go looking for the lamest looking stuff when I actually do buy clothes.

Oh also, we've got a nice pyramid now, don't stop it .
    translation

Have you ever seen a guy that just spent $2000+ on a new computer for the purpose of playing PC games or something like that? I have. They say "but it's the newest version with a ___ processer!" the exact same way a girl says "but it's so cute and shiny, I have to have it!". I have watched grown men cuddle with their new laptop and tell other men "it's so sexy". Yes, evidently "sexy" is a term that should be applied to really high preformance computers.

As for the shoes... it really just depends on the person and their wants and needs. I probably buy a new pair once a year on average. I just have 9 pairs. Womens shoes last longer then mens. I'm still trying to figure out why.

Yeah, it is a nice pyramid isn't it. :laugh:

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

As for the shoes... it really just depends on the person and their wants and needs. I probably buy a new pair once a year on average. I just have 9 pairs. Womens shoes last longer then mens. I'm still trying to figure out why.
    Well I also buy about 1 pair a year on average..... however, I was wondering how you get shoes to last so long. I am lucky if mine last that long(le sigh, I will need to replace my main pair soon... only saw about 6 months of use too, but they are just about destroyed by now). So if you ever find out why, please tell me(I have observed that same phenomina.... and it really does confuse me).

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!