View Poll Results: do you rely on the rating system?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 15.79%
  • no

16 84.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you rely on the game ratings?

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

Default Do you rely on the game ratings?

i dont it because i think there needs to be another rating that mixes in with T and M, i cant rent metal gear solid cuase of "too much violence" its not like a game is gonna change my life or nothing

what do you guys think?

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

It was never really an issue when I was younger, as the violent games weren't very violent. But I believe now, that there are a lot of games kids shouldn't be playing, especially since violent games have become more popular and realistic.

Edit: When I mean 'more popular', I mean a lot of game developers are making more violence, to please the masses, and it's getting to the point that there's no limits.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

They are there for a reason, but most parents do ignore the games ratings and buy 18 rated games for their 13 year old child. The abuse my boyfriend has gotten from parents because he has to ask fo ID is madness, he is doing his job and what the law askes him to do, yet they think its ridulous to do so!

Ive never had a problem buying any violent games, but I was IDed for the Kill Bill collection after I had just turned 21, that pissed me off. But its their job.

its not like a video game is gonna change anybodys lives

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

Well yes they can because some kids do commit acts after playing games and use them as scapegoats. There was a boy who killed his friend in America to get his copy of Manhunt when it was getting banned and 2 youths used GTA as an excuse when they ran someone over in a car they stole.

The games may have affected the children, or maybe they just used the games so the games companies would get the blame. It happens with movies also.

ok maybe i said it in the wrong terms, but your parents should know how they kids behave like/reaction

like mortal kombat for example, its not like a kid should go out ripping other kids spines?

Because a fighting game isnt as realistic to them as GTA or say True Crime or The Getaway. Because RPGs and fighting games are set in fictional and out of place areas, kids dont really pay any attention. What scares me is that my 11 year old cousin knows all the Vice City cheats then Tekken ones and would rather beat a civilian or protistute to death then kick some guys arse in a battle arena.

Parents shoudl be looking at the ratings games have, but they dont. Because they see computer games as a source of fun and entertainment and no harm will come to their youngster playing the game. Now with movies, Ive noticed parents being more strict with ratings. Perhaps parents see movies as more of a threat to a childs behavior then a game because games can be colourful and no real people are involved, unlike films.

violent games do not make kids more violent. In fact it's more often used as an outlet to calm the kid down. Youth violence has steadily DECREASED as games have gotten more violent.

Though the following article is a bit, i guess biased, all the charts and actual hard data is completely true: http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsit...e/violence.htm

and as for movies being watched over more, no not true. SOME parents enforce it, others don't care. Mine even encouraged me when I was younger to sneak into movies I wanted to see. If the parent does their job right, there will be no problems. The problem is parents suck and they need excuses.

THE jackel
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9
    violent games do not make kids more violent.
    Im not saying they do make them violent, but in the past games have been blamed for childrens behaviour and the children use the games as scapegoats and it becomes a media frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9
    violent games do not make kids more violent.
    Im not saying they do make them violent, but in the past games have been blamed for childrens behaviour and the children use the games as scapegoats and it becomes a media frenzy.
    by even bringing it up you're helping to enlarge that media frenzy, if you know as well as I do that it isn't true, then don't bring it up, simple

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Im just giving my opinion on the matter. I brought it up to answer a question. Im not adding to anything. Its up to any of the posters reading the posts if they decide to act upon it and believe all games are bad and breed violence.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I personally ruin the arguement that violent games make people violent. I know I personally play longer than the average gamer. Given that RPGs out number the "violent" ones 5:1, I am one of the most relaxed and docile person you'd probably ever meet.

I agree that how much you pay attention to the Ratings depends on the child and the people that use it as Scapegoats really piss me off to no end.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

M games are marked that way for a reason. T and below games are really just things with maybe minor language and somebody fighting with someone. So there's definitely a major gap between M games and the rest.

And yeah, the games get used as a scapegoat sometimes. Although I don't know why any responsible parent would allow their child to play a game like GTA in the first place. xD Honestly...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    M games are marked that way for a reason. T and below games are really just things with maybe minor language and somebody fighting with someone. So there's definitely a major gap between M games and the rest.
    why did halo get an M rating? the contents in that game plays just like a T rated game, except maybe the langauge is a little rougher....

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not all the ratings are accurate of course. (Forgive me for my generalizing, but that's what I've noticed of all the games I've played of those ratings.)