Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remakes

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Default Remakes

With The Omen having come to theatres to less than stellar reviews (from what I've noticed), a lot people have been discussing Hollywood's annoying habit of remaking films that didnt really need it.

So let's talk about the remakes. Ever see one you thing was really good? And how about the numerous ones that were really bad and should have been left untouched.

I've been trying to think of good ones, as they're few and far between. Here goes.
    -Of Mice and Men. The one with Gary Sinese. I think it far outshines the earlier version. The older one didnt do much for me, the newer turned me into a sobbing miserable puddle at the end.
    -Lolita. I really felt Kubrick did terribly with the original. So much was omitted from the book and the girl who played Lolita was far too old and really didnt fit the nymphette role. The newer version with Jeremy Irons, however, is a freaking masterpiece and a truly worth screen adaptation of a beautiful book. The music, method of filming, and acting blows the original out of the water.
    -The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I dont think there was ever a 'movie' (as in a theatrical release), but there was the horridly cast BBC mini-series. The Walden media film tops the BBC mini-series in every concievable way.

So yeah. Share your favorite and least favorite remakes.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

King Kong was pretty great. I tried watching the original when it came on television once, but I didn't have much patience for it, even though I usually like old films.

Charlie and The Chocolate factory was cute, but not so great.

No others really stick out, except maybe 101 Dalmations. It's not as loveable as the cartoon, but still really enjoyable.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Cape Fear's remake hit the jackpot with me. I haven't seen the original but the 1991 version is so good that seeing the original doesn't appeal to me anymore.
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a dreadful remake for me. The 1974 version is far more spookier
    ...Geddit?

The one that catches my interest is "Lolita" which I have never seen (either version). It is difficult for me to believe (offhand) that Kubrick did a bad job on a film.

As far as Hollywood remakes go, screw hollywood!! I mean for krise sakes! will NO ONE end the shameless money grubbing!??

Considering the casting done for a lot of these recent remakes, they might as well cast Kermit and Miss Piggy as Romeo and Juliet....

anyways...

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

It's not that the film itself is awful. But if you've ever read the book and then watched Kubrick's version it's just bad. Not in the quality of a film, but in the quality of a book turned into a film. The guy playing the infamous Lolita is all wrong, many many scenes arent present, some scenes are in the wrong place making it somewhat confusing (the scenes with Quilty stand out), and the who sexual tension just doesnt seem to translate well, not to mention the inner torture of Humbert. Putting it next to the newer version just makes it seem worse. The recent one far far outshines Kubrick's.

I'm not saying this to bash Kubrick in the least, as I'm a big fan of some of his films and I highly admire him. I just feel his Lolita fell far short of the mark.

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

Im really not a fan of Remakes, i hope they Never Remake The Exorcist or A Clockwork Orange

but the recent remake of the Producers was fantastic, but i guess thats really just a film version of the original, rather than a remake

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    The guy playing the infamous Lolita is all wrong
    Eww. Eww. Eww. I should think it's wrong indeed, having a guy play the Lolita role. Eeeeeeeeeewww *shudders*
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Blog Entries

I hated the remake of the 1967 classic, Alfie. They did cast Jude Law as Alfie in the remake, but the only problem is that his acting is atrocious.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I think a lot of the time Hollywood remakes a movie so a new generation will be interested in it. A lot of kids had no idea there even was an original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But I agree, a lot are really bad. But a lot are really good.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Seriously though, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is way, way better than the original was.

If you count it as a remake, Batman Begins is better than the originals, Jack Nicholson excepted.

My mom is massively dismayed to see they are remaking The Hitcher, which she loves, and points out that as it has Rutger Hauer in it, it would be impossible to top. I am inclined to agree.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF
    Seriously though, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is way, way better than the original was.
    From this day forth, you are no longer my brother. You are my enemy.

If you cut out the first 45 minutes, King Kong was pretty cool.
    Other than that, I dunno.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

ACtually this film was the 1st film of my life where I got feed up. I dont know why but when I saw the trailer to this film I was feed up and decided hollywood was out of control.

Im not a big fan of remakes in films and video games, Im seeing The Omen tommorow and I will compare to the original.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was pretty decent though

Which FF Character Are You?

Second Character: Tidus
    Third Character: Yuffie

I know I'm alone when I say that I thought the remakes of The Ring, and The Grudge were fantastic. I don't care. The photoshop blobs of the japanese versions did absolutely nothing for me. They weren't bad by any means, but I much prefer the american versions.

The Stepford Wives. It's impossible to compare to the original, as they're NOTHING alike, so I won't say that I liked it better. But I really enjoyed it. It was hilarious.