Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Videogames Pwn Movies

Unlimited Hentai Works Twilight Edge's Avatar

Vidoegames-everyday.

Movies-Once in a blue moon unless it's a Japanese anime or Harry Potter.I'd swear I'd go catch the premeir.No kidding,I actually made sure I got to see the premeir of Harry Potter(Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire,I watched the first teo on vcd,and now I regret it) and also made sure that I saw the first screening.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    Why is he sick? Its the truth IMO. Kids nowadays want to show off and act cool, so they join gangs, take drugs, steal cars, etc. Im not saying all kids are like that, but I would rather my own kids spend time playing computer games, then out on the street with possibly bad people. Its happened in my family, my cousin has gone off the rails and now has an ASBO. My brother no longer hangs out with him or his old friends and plays computer games or plays football in the backgarden.
    Oh, you're right. I misplace "than" with "then"...
    Yet, movies aren't bad at all. They are at the same level as VG.

I know. I saw my nickname. but please don't look at me that way, Klayman. I beg of you.

What are you talking about? You said:
    You're sick.
    Wheres then or than come into that?

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

play Videogames THEN shoot people in gangs = doing both, one after the other

play Videogames THAN shoot people in gangs = playing VG INSTEAD of shootig people in gangs

An error only non-native English speakers would commit, I used to do it often
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

No, really, I knew that. Only I missed it.

I know. I saw my nickname. but please don't look at me that way, Klayman. I beg of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri
    Then there are NO commercials in video games. No one is selling barbie stuff and junk food like candy to your kid.

Plus video games are interactive, they require thought, action, perseverance.. Not passive couch potato stuff at all!
    Barbie Horse Adventure *is* a commercial for well Barbies and horses.

Video games are a mixed bag. On the one hand, they're good and have a lot of potential to get people thinking about things, but then they can cause problems too.

Video games are much better at giving you an immersive experience. A WW2 movie might show you images of WW2, and maybe give you a story about some person in WW2. A game puts you right in the middle of it, and done right, can give you a taste of what the real thing must have been like. It can show how someone might have made a bad decision etc. in a more immersive way. The reason that games are more immersive for me is that I made the decision to do something, and then see the consequences. I.e FFX, you play the part of Yuna (well among others) and therefore, in a sense when you discover the (spoilery) nature of her mission, it has more impact because you put her in the situation. The ending as well has more impact because I'm doing the final deed. Had the same thing been done in a movie, it loses some impact because I'm not doing the deed, some actor is playing the role of someone doing the deed. You're distant, or at least more distant from the thoughts leading to the actions as well as the results of the action. So it has a lot of storytelling power, and a lot of power to show what it's like to be someone or to do something.

On the other hand, games have a nasty habit of keeping a person indoors in a seated position. Then kids don't play outside and learn to play pick-up soccer or baseball, build forts out of cardboard in the backyard, etc. Besides that, it can be somewhat isolating. Rather than playing with neighborhood chums, they play by themselves. Online might help with that a little, but it's still not a replacement for face-time. And it can interfere with studies.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Yevon
    Barbie Horse Adventure *is* a commercial for well Barbies and horses.
    Aye but note that I say I select carefully the VG my kids and I play.

Video games are much better at giving you an immersive experience.. done right, can give you a taste of what the real thing must have been like. ..it has a lot of storytelling power, and a lot of power to show what it's like to be someone or to do something.
    And of things you and I will never experience such as being a merman under the sea or a living rock eater (Zelda Majora's Mask)
    or a dinossaur...[/QUOTE]
    On the other hand, games have a nasty habit of keeping a person indoors in a seated position. Then kids don't play outside and learn to play pick-up soccer or baseball, build forts out of cardboard in the backyard, etc. Besides that, it can be somewhat isolating. Rather than playing with neighborhood chums, they play by themselves. Online might help with that a little, but it's still not a replacement for face-time. And it can interfere with studies.
    Well here in Chicago we have snow and bitter cold at least 5 months of the year so indoors is not that bad I actually need stuff to get them entertained and stem off cabin fever and a stroll through Besaid while is 40F (- 40C too!) below outside is perfect!

And at least my kids never stop jumping around, so I don't worry about them not exercising... Perhaps when they get older I will, right now they are constantly in movement...

And the neighbors kids join us in our adventures sometimes, or my kids play at their house.

You are correct, attention to what game they play and to how active they are during the day is important. But even in that aspect I would much rather see they play a VG than to see them veg out in front of a tV.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs: