Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Videogames Pwn Movies

Quote Originally Posted by darkchrono
    And like I said if he has to go that far in order to support the video games than there must not be a whole lot good about them.
    No, it means he's not that smart.
    But you also had no basis for bringing up fast food or even if they were "good" for the youth. The article mentioned that the average gamer was 33, and was about games selling more than movies, something else that doesn't burn off any fast food. It doesn't matter if a kid stays in to watch all 5 or whatever Loin King movies or plays Kingdom Hearts he's still going to be indoors sitting around.

P.S. Movies are still a better source of entertainment. <3

Movies these days blow, so seeing a more interactive form of entertainment gradually get more popular is no surprise to me.

The rise in video game sales doesn't have a thing to do with the quality of movies made these days. The only thing that the guy related to movies in that article was how much money they are each making.

And actually I did have a basis for the 'mcdonalds' comment I made.

Because the reason that video games have become so popular is because they offer an easier way for young people (including young adults) to play out all those dreams that they have always had.

Before video games came of age most young people went outside to play ball in the neighborhood with their friends and fantasized about being Michael Jordan and winning the game winning shot (or other similar fantasies to that one). But now with the gaming systems they have young people don't have to go to that much trouble. All they have to do now in order to live out those fantasies is pop in a cd into a gaming system and actually play the entire game as Michael Jordon on their very own t.v. screen.

The popularity of video games has a very direct link to the reason why kids played outside all the time in the past. And how they got the exercise that many do not get anymore.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

darkchrono, you're making some very stupid and boneheaded assumptions about video games. Not every person that games is inactive, you know.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

As a mom I much prefer that my kids play video games than watch TV, if you chose each game they play with care, let me tell you why.

First, the ratings WORK on video games, Rated PG games have no sex, no violence, period. I've had a lot of bad surprises with TV movies rated PG.

Then there are NO commercials in video games. No one is selling barbie stuff and junk food like candy to your kid.

Plus video games are interactive, they require thought, action, perseverance.. Not passive couch potato stuff at all!

Also, my 5 year old needs a bit of small motor skill practice, so VG controls give him that without putting playdough on my carpet or letting him cut daddy's work magazines. VGs also give excellent hand/eye coordination to my pups and prepare them to be good at computers.

VGs are the only place I can be sure about what they are watching. All the other kid shows have girls and boys having crushes for each other, violence, bullies, etc.. On VG the bullies get what they deserve.

My kids and I can follow stories, it's be fun to "take trips to Spira" or to Yoshi's island as a family or on a "mom & kids adventure" and we don't spend a cent on trinkets, nor they get ink, paint and processed fat to eat as they would at McD.

After my kids grew out of Barney and Teletubbies, the PBS stuff just doesn't cut it for them, but I can still have them learn to share, help each other and be friendly and all that stuff that parents want to teach their kids, if I chose carefully what VG they play.

Those are just my thoughts anyway... Suffice it to say, me, hubby and my kids have lots of fun with Video Games!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Banned

I play video games 4 hours a day; I watch movies 4 times a month.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Knight
    darkchrono, you're making some very stupid and boneheaded assumptions about video games. Not every person that games is inactive, you know.
    Quoted for truth.

I'm FAR from being overweight and I do get my share of a workout so I don't know what that guy's talking 'bout. Just because parents these days don't know what to FEED their kids and how much physical activities they give their kids doesn't mean that everyone's like that. Hell the study said "the average gamer is 33 years old" so they should be smart enough to manage their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri
    As a mom I much prefer that my kids play video games than watch TV, if you chose each game they play with care, let me tell you why.

First, the ratings WORK on video games, Rated PG games have no sex, no violence, period. I've had a lot of bad surprises with TV movies rated PG.

Then there are NO commercials in video games. No one is selling barbie stuff and junk food like candy to your kid.

Plus video games are interactive, they require thought, action, perseverance.. Not passive couch potato stuff at all!

Also, my 5 year old needs a bit of small motor skill practice, so VG controls give him that without putting playdough on my carpet or letting him cut daddy's work magazines. VGs also give excellent hand/eye coordination to my pups and prepare them to be good at computers.

VGs are the only place I can be sure about what they are watching. All the other kid shows have girls and boys having crushes for each other, violence, bullies, etc.. On VG the bullies get what they deserve.

My kids and I can follow stories, it's be fun to "take trips to Spira" or to Yoshi's island as a family or on a "mom & kids adventure" and we don't spend a cent on trinkets, nor they get ink, paint and processed fat to eat as they would at McD.

After my kids grew out of Barney and Teletubbies, the PBS stuff just doesn't cut it for them, but I can still have them learn to share, help each other and be friendly and all that stuff that parents want to teach their kids, if I chose carefully what VG they play.

Those are just my thoughts anyway... Suffice it to say, me, hubby and my kids have lots of fun with Video Games!
    yopure the coolest mom ever
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness
    Video games are better than movies, fast food, drugs, and terrorism combined. Sucka.
    Drugs? I've never had them. But terrorism, movies and video-games seem like a pleasant combination.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by link31793
    yopure the coolest mom ever
    Thanks!! So far my kids agree with you, hopefully they will still do so when they are older

I thought I was pretty unique but lately I have been finding a lot of parents who play VGs and some of them include their kids in the fun like I do
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    And I rather have kids/teenagers/and adults playing v-games than smoking crack, using drugs, and joining gangs. Sooooooooooo WHICH is better??? :meditate: you tell me.
    You're sick.

I know. I saw my nickname. but please don't look at me that way, Klayman. I beg of you.

Why is he sick? Its the truth IMO. Kids nowadays want to show off and act cool, so they join gangs, take drugs, steal cars, etc. Im not saying all kids are like that, but I would rather my own kids spend time playing computer games, then out on the street with possibly bad people. Its happened in my family, my cousin has gone off the rails and now has an ASBO. My brother no longer hangs out with him or his old friends and plays computer games or plays football in the backgarden.

I exercise regularly, play videogames, and have a life at the same time. Its pretty easy, actually. Anything in extreme excess, whether videogames or yes, even exercise, will eventually have a detrimental effect on a person. Duh.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight

Kids SHOULD NOT eat McDonalds, THAT"s the problem.

And better than wasting money on stupid movies.

but but but.......then we teenagers have no social life with our respective girl/boyfriends! Going out to the movies is some great fun, sadly not availabile with video games. (but at least my gf likes games too, and im not insulting vg here...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Meh.........

Movies and games have there goods and bads...