16 48.48%
  • Rocked

14 42.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts of the movie

I junctioned your GF ;) BardTard's Avatar

Moogle

I loved the movie! Great music, beautiful characters, but when Kadaj summoned Bahamut the materia was the wrong color... did anyone else notice that? Anywho... yeah. It rocked!!!

movie rocked. i made 23 amvs from the movie and im lookin foward to make more. all and all i have to say....cloud was my favourite character. not cuz hes the main character, CUZ his hair is spikey and its yellow the movie was soooo good it inspired me to complete the game for the playstation, but its soo gay i cant beat that gay emerald weapon, but i getttin closer and closer. im out

PEACE!

What can I say, no matter how hard I want to I'll never get the time back that I took to watch this movie. Though it was completely unnecessary to make a sequel of any kind to FFVII, it still had potential for a second story. So I figured I would give it a chance.

Quite frankly, the plot moved to fast in the movie. If anything, it felt like it was a summarized version of whatever the original story was meant to be. And no wonder, the movie is only 101 minutes long. Most of that time involves several fight sequences that go on for several minutes. If you like the typical action movie with a underdeveloped storyline, then this movie is for you. Sadly, if a storyline isn't well developed, how can the characters be well developed?

The only positive thing I can say is that the animation was done superbly. The CG was top-notch.

This is my second experience with an FF sequel that suffers from similar problems. This has so far convinced me that perhaps it would be wise to stop trying these direct sequels to FF games. For some reason, the formulas just don't work like they did the first time around. Unfortunately, based on how these games and movies have sold, I have to sadly admit that SE will not stop releasing direct sequels to games that were well closed the first time around.

i liked the fast action battels.like the one with tifa in the church.
    i have one question who is the man in the weelchair?
    i have not completed ff7 yet and my file was just resently erased i think it had a virus

cloud....My idol

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike
    i liked the fast action battels.like the one with tifa in the church.
    i have one question who is the man in the weelchair?
    i have not completed ff7 yet and my file was just resently erased i think it had a virus
    The man in the wheelchair is (SPOILER)Rufus Shinra, who supposedly died from a WEAPON attack on Midgar. The weird thing is that no effort was made to hide his identity. Cloud addresses him by name when they first meet in AC.

OMG IN MY OPINION, GREATEST MOVIE EVER!! God i effin loved it!!! Cloud looked effin sexy n the graphics where amazing!! Most of the voice acting was really good!! And it had a great story to it, following the game...God I loved this movie, they could have made a few different changes to it like making the Sephy n Cloud scene longer and more action packed AND made Aeris come back to life, *sniff, tear* God I miss her .....But it was awsomeness and amazing, it was sooo worth my time and money!! I watch it almost every-night lol =^^=
    Cloud and Rikku

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdust
    This is my second experience with an FF sequel that suffers from similar problems. This has so far convinced me that perhaps it would be wise to stop trying these direct sequels to FF games. For some reason, the formulas just don't work like they did the first time around. Unfortunately, based on how these games and movies have sold, I have to sadly admit that SE will not stop releasing direct sequels to games that were well closed the first time around.
    I dont want to derail the topic, I thought I would just add that it's Nomura who has this thing for direct sequels. Hironobu Sakaguchi, who did final fantasy I-IV and IX-X, when he realized he had a legit pheonomenon on his hands after the first final fantasy rivived a small, struggling studio that was on the verge of shutting down called square, and made it an industry powerhouse, sort of envisioned the franchise as a readers digest, a series that told some truly deep storylines with no connection to one another. Nomura on the otherhand, well they are two very different directors who have two different styles and attitudes.

Sakaguchi was the guy who put out spirits within (which I've always liked). Which really shows just how different these two are.

I hope you guys can respect my opinion.

I was deeply disappointed at Advent Children. It felt... useless. It didn't offer anything. Just overblown fighting scenes.

Yes, I know it's Final Fantasy, but the thing they did with AC's fighting scenes felt just stupid. There was too many, they were too long, they were confusing and also damn boring. I wished there would be even a bit of realism in the fighting.

The new three characters were totally unnecessary and I felt like they were designed just for some fangirls who watch these movies for pretty boys. Their characters weren't even given a chance to develop, because they were like, fighting all the time.

I was also disappointed because the old characters were in the movie just for being there. They had no special purpose in the movie, they were just there for nostalgia.

The movie wasn't that amazing visually either. The Spirits Within, a movie from three years afar, is still MUCH more detailed and beautiful than Advent Children, not mentioning something like Onimusha 3's opening video. No, I'm not saying the movie looked ugly, simply there are better visuals out there.

Nomura may know what it takes to make a good videogame, but he has no idea on how to make a full-length movie. It seems he doesn't understand anything about making a movie. So, meh.

I wanted to like this, but the movie was just bad, horribly bad.

[QUOTE=Ishin Ookami]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdust
    Sakaguchi was the guy who put out spirits within (which I've always liked). Which really shows just how different these two are.
    I loved TSW as well. And not to throw the topic off, but I can't help but compare these two movies. I think the comparison is that TSW was very dialogue driven whereas, FFVII: AC was just your typical old action movie. I like dialogue. The more dialogue the better (thus my love for Xenogears ). Without good dialogue or at least a monologue, a story doesn't reach its full potential.

On the whole i thought the film was good and entertaining, but i was left wanting more, it's already been mentioned before, but it was too short! I feel Square concentrated so much on the visuals that they forgot to add a fantastic storyline that FF7 is so famous for. I'm sure for non-fans it was good fun but it did not live up to the epic that is FF7, but to be honest that was allways gonna be hard, maybe even impossible.
    "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

FF7:AC, then. As a fanservice, it's great. As a sequel to FF7, it's passable. As a movie? It's light popcorn fluff that is not good but not irredeemable either.

The problem is that the main thinking of the creators was "how many fights can we fit in?" and "how can we make this one top the last?". Yes, the fights do look cool but there were far too many of them for me to see this as a serious movie. AC sits at the same table as the likes of MI:3, Men in Black and so. In other words: "No, don't think about it! Just watch the pwetty action!" Unfortunately, action movies can and should be about more.

Being an action movie is no excuse for a poor plot, which is what AC has. It's clearly just there to move from fight scene to fight scene, is very repetitive of the game and carries very little emotional weight. And apart from Cloud, there's no characterisation at all.

Saying character development all happened in the game is no excuse. Movie sequels don't just reuse the characters from the first, they take them and build on their experiences with further development. Like I said, Cloud changes, but nobody else does. It's all a tad too static.

On the plus side, Reno and Rude are great whenever they're around. And they're around much more than in the game. They're easily my favourite thing in the movie, and give some great laughs. Rufus also steps up his role and comes out of it looking pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, with every positive comes a negative, and this screen time means most of the game's main characters barely come out to play. Now, I didn't know Cloud was the main focus but I did expect him to take the most screen-time cause he was the game's main character. However, I expected him to share some of that with the likes of Barret, Cid, Nanaki and co. These guys have plenty of fans as well, and leaving them out for so long was a poor move.

Lastly, the villains. Kadaj, Yazoo and Loz aren't just clones of Sephiroth's characters, they're dilutions. Less interesting, less exciting and 2-dimensional. I think it was a mistake to use weak versions of Sephiroth for most of the movie. Now, I know he had to be there, but he either should have been the villain right from the start or been brought back by a villain who was nothing like him.

In short, it wasn't an awful 90 minutes of my life and I enjoyed it a bit, but I wouldn't really regret it if I hadn't. 5/10

when i watched Advent Children at that time I did not finish ffvii but i knew the ending since my brother played it years ago. i found it actually good and my cousin (who never played any final fantasy games) loved it and bought the DVD, but the problem was that i didn't sleep for about two days before i watched the film so i felt that it was really slow and quiet i'm not sure if that was the films problem or was it just me, and i thought the skipping from scene to another was a bit strange i don't know why I really loved the fighting scenes but at times they get really cool but still quite and a bit slow..

thanks

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thoght the movie was pretty entertaining overall. However, I wouldn't pay money to see it in the movie theather. My only peeve is that they didn't have enough screen time for alot of the characters (like Barret, Cait Sith and Cid).

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

id give it at least 8/10. probly 9 out of 10. the storyline is good and although there are complaints about too many battles i disagree. the battles are amazing and without them the film would not be long enough. its exciting, interesting,impressive and hilarious.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

The end result is better than what it was originally meant to be. The graphics were impressive, the fights were awesome and the newly introduced characters (Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz) fitted the role of antagonists. I thought the main storyline of Advent Children was really shallow and simple, but the cool fight scenes gave me reason to like this film.