Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's so great about the classics?

Default What's so great about the classics?

The only classics I liked were 5&6. I never quite aquired a tatse for 1 and 2. What's so great about them?

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

i agree that 1 and 2 arent as good as a lot of the other FFs but they are good games and are often underrated.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf
    i agree that 1 and 2 arent as good as a lot of the other FFs but they are good games and are often underrated.
    Sure they are underrated. Like there are FF's overrated.

But if you never battled Chaos and never visited Pandaemonium, than you aren't a die-hard FF-fan.

For me, Final Fantasy I is still one of the best FF's in my opinion. It has something new to it. The story is simple but that's what makes it so great.

And it had one of the best randombattle music

FF II wasn't as great as FF I but still very good, my only complaint is that the Emperor (Hell form) was way to hard even for a final Boss. Without a bloodsword you're toast.

So what's make them so great? Well, for one, if these classics weren't made, you wouldn't play FF VII, VIII and all those 'greater' FF now.
    They were fun and original. Simple but addicting. And that's what makes them great in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzora
    The only classics I liked were 5&6. I never quite aquired a tatse for 1 and 2. What's so great about them?
    They're fun and enjoyable

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

and the difficulty of FF2 was great because often FFs are too easy. sometimes its just because people hyper level up and get all special equipment. people say that FF7 is easy but thats usually because they got KoTR and omnislash and got to level 99. if you try it without that and on lower levels its actually quite tough. the main reason i found the emporor tricky is because i had to go through 2 very hard dungeons and by the time i was at the emperor i had very few items left. FF1 is simple and one of the most enjoyable and that makes up for its slight lack in storyline (or at leasy compared to other FFs like FF9.) but the ending sequence just feels so good to watch even if its only writing. FF2 was great. it had difficulty , a good storyline ,although there were only a few mysteries and plot twists the overall dark feel to the game was definetly inspiration towards other FF games storylines and without FF2 the other, newer FFs would never have been nearly as good. there not the best because they were the earliest in the massive and brilliant series but without them i doubt the series would have been as good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Classics have charm to them. Like playing pacman or tetris, it's not because they're superb or beautiful. It's actually quite the opposite. By today's comparisons, they're ugly, raw, unfinished, bare boned games. That's why they're wicked. Because they were able to give out a lot of fun even though they had so much against them (as far as technology went).

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I love them because they're so simple, and more so because they're addictive...sure FF I&2's battles where you accidently waste an attack on an enemy who died that turn can get annoying, but it's still super fun.

Plus, they're the hardest of the hard. Most of the FF fans from now-a-days think FFX had hard bosses (like that flying one...what was its name?) but FF1-3 had ultra-mega-hard bosses...and you're ALWAYS short on money because everything is so god damned expensive...and FF1 you had to save in inns, that was annoying.

But, if you can get past the bad parts of the game's design you can love the games alot, because they're simple and fun. I'm a little reluctant to see one of them (3) being turned into a 3d game...it ruins the nostalgia.

I'll admit that I only played FFs1-3 three years ago...but hey, the games older than me so I guess that's my excuse.

That's a bit harsh, Mazzora. Granted, 1 and 2 were bad but I liked 4,5,6.

I agree with aisle_s.

I liked NES FF1. The new one doesn't cut it with me. There was just something mindlessly awesome back then. I enjoyed random encounters in that game for some reason. It usually meant someone was asking for an ass-kicking. 'Course I always used the cheapest group. Two fighters a white mage and black mage. After they grew up they were invincible. 'Cept for some cheap higher end monsters and bosses who enjoyed a good over-dose of one-hit-kills. And the graphics are just too cute. Very vibrant and crisp. Not dull, pastelle, and blurry like its predicessor. Sadly I've never really given FF2 a chance.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

What's so great about the old-school games is just that: they are old-school. Somewhere deep in that mind of yours is a young child who enjoys life because he doesn't know any better to do anything else.

They are simple, but fun. Every annoyance only makes you angry and makes you want to continue further. None of the new games really have such a charm, because you are given SO many options, that if you lose, you are ashamed, and you'd be surprised if you even came back to play it within an hour (and you should be, these new games are intolerably easy).

Without I and IIj, you wouldn't have any of the other FFs. FFIV, which introduced the ATB (a revolution in those days, also an old school), FFVI, which has the greatest three characters of all time: a crazy, genocidal villian who dresses like a clown, looks like a clown, acts like a clown, walks and talks like a clown, but with the mind of some pseudo Hitler/Stalin/Evil Knievel/Inspector Dreyfus combination of the four. the other two are the most sex-appealing characters of all time: a smart blonde girl who knows what she wants, and knows how she will get it, and a small tormented little-sister-esque girl who you just can't help but feel sorry for.

FFIIIj is the most underrated. It introduces you the job system used in the future FFs. Plus, I, IIj, IIIj, IV-Hardtype, and V are some of the more challenging games you will play. That can't be said of VII, where you can beat Sephiroth at level 37 without Life materia and Pheonix downs, or X, where all you need is 45 sphere levels and BAM!, Jecht is dead. FFX-2 doesn't even require that you have a controller plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel
    Plus, I, IIj, IIIj, IV-Hardtype, and V are some of the more challenging games you will play. That can't be said of VII, where you can beat Sephiroth at level 37 without Life materia and Pheonix downs, or X, where all you need is 45 sphere levels and BAM!, Jecht is dead. FFX-2 doesn't even require that you have a controller plugged in.
    This is the absolute truth and is why I&II are some of my favorites. I have to say I even enjoyed the DoS version just cause it was portable.(Even though they were too easy compared to the origional.)

You don't like 3 or 4 either!?

FF2 had a really great story for it's time. Also, it's really awesome how so many people put their lives on the line to help Firion, Maria, and Gus. Also, you can't tell me you don't like the World Map music.

FF1 has awesome gameplay and it's challenging.
    At least the NES and PS Normal Mode versions are challenging.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I like the old games because they're good. Even without all the flash of today (for their time they were VERY flashy), they still hold up against the slow decay of time. FFI is one of the most fun and addictive RPGs I've had the honor of playing.

You have not lived until you have played FFIIIj.

Ok, that's not entirely true, but it makes life very slightly better.

The new ones have all these complications, like MP, which gets annoying with math, and with all the techniques it's confusing, and like in FFTA when you have to use certain weapons to learn techs (CURSE YOU SHORT SWORDS!)

The old ones wer simpler, easier to understand (and are much harder and take more patience than others) and just plain fun. Heck, if I had nothing to do all day, I would spend 2 hours just to get FFI to work just to have it crash 5 minutes later... :mog: ?
    Front-wards, back-wards, anyway you see! Such a strange spell to swish-swish-aree! Tceles Nottub B. Swish-swish-aroo!

I've only beaten FFI, but I'm close to beating FFIII for FAMICOM!

YAY FOR CHOCOBOS!

DON'T FORGET MOOGLES! :mog: