Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: is it me or are rpg's going from great to good to average to suck!!!

I would say Square-Enix sucks now, but not RPG's in general.

Games in general are getting worse.
    Organized people are just to lazy to look for things.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

You're noticing this about 7 years too late. You should have said this as soon as FFVII came out.

Most new rpgs are just plain hack and slash, or diablo clones. They aren't even true RPGs anymore. Sure, there are some exceptions (KotOR), but mostly they just plainly suck.
    What happened to games like Albion, Lands of Lore or Baldurs Gate?

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

They don't have teh summ0ns.

those past FFVII tend to lose their touch that they have in the past, if you looked at NES games and SNES games they were way better. The problem now is that even if we used sprites, its not realistic or graphically good enough for people which is lame. Hence why my love for platformers and old school RPGs will continue and who actually won the video game wars, was the GBA.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage
    It's just you.

You see more bad RPGs these days because more are being brought over. There are still a plethora of quality RPGs around.
    true.....

Actually, you might well be right shadowtheninja.

I played my first FF game, which was FF VIII, in May 2005. I was amazed how great the game was. I liked absolutely everything about it: the graphics, the fmvs, the story, the music and so on. Now, without being to critical on Microsoft or Blizzard, it clearly kicked Dungeon Siege and Diablo 2 out of the field. The only thing that I felt a little sad about was the fact that FFVIII had no multiplayer.

In my eyes, Square and Enix games are something special. They are made in a completely different style from other RPGs. I mean, the story, the characters and the deepness of the theme. Other publishers just do not use this style and make clones of Diablo. This was already said on a gaming TV channel (I actually used to have one back then),"And here is a great game from Microsoft, called Dungeon Siege. It starts in a farm in the middle of nowhere and appears to have a really nice plot... Feel free to add it to your Diablo-like-games-bookcase as soon as you buy it."

However, I do not think that good RPG is going to die. What it is doing, is transforming into a new class of RPG games. The cause for this event is the appearance of DSL and Broadband at our homes, which permits us having huge worlds with thousands of players run in a real time environment. Even Final Fantasy has gone online now with FFXI.

So like it or not, its time to get that old 56k thrown away if you want a fun experience with a new game.

NOTE: I didn't play FFX and FFX-2, so I can't really judge them, but as I said Square-Enix is like Konami, a publisher on its own.

You obviously dont play too many RPG's.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gibbi8
    I dont think they suck
    But they dont make them like they used too.........
    Of course they don't, it's called progress. It's the same thinking that means we aren't still riding horses, slapping our wives about and then bragging about it in public, or assuming that the world is flat.

Really, RPGs aren't any better or worse, they're just different. Whether or not it's any better or worse is subjective. Personally I think the RPG is finally coming out of the dark-ages (read The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Deus Ex, etc.).
    There is no signature here. Move along.

The fact that you consider Deus Ex "the dark ages" means you need to die.

Right now.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't really think they changed that much. I'm not even much of an RPG-er anyway, I only like Final Fantasy in that category. I like FFIX the best of them, and that's one of the newer FFs. I never found FFI to be incredibly appealing, though it is fun to play sometimes. I'm a story whore for video games.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

All rpg's suck, imo, but I'm not into rpg's. The only one I liked was Morrowind, but that's because of the nude patch, because for some reason being able to go on a game, "talk" to a girl, get some mushroom for her from some balding fellow on some cliff somewhere, then murder herl and take off her clothes to see pixelated nipples turned me on. Not the blue girls though. The rest of the game I didn't like.

RPGs are becoming less like novels. I'd equate the PSX era FFs as living, breathing stories that I was always dieing to find out what happened in. Except I got to choose how the characters actually resolved their violent conflicts, and that was great.

Recently, I've seen far less of these types of games that really draw me in. BOF5 was tedious, WA3 just wasn't that fun, and FFX-2 just felt like it was FFX gone horribly wrong. Tales Of Symphonia was the only one released in the last couple of years that's really drawn me in, though it was lacking originality.

I'm not too worried though, sooner or later some plucky young/old programmer for some company is going to get promoted to a position where he can finally develop and release the masterpiece he's been slowly writing in the back of his mind for years. Annny time now...
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]