Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Well when I read this thread last night, it gave me hope that I would like the film. And I was right. The movie was great. Thanks for all of the negative reviews, otherwise I might not have seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    I won't see it for the lone reason that Johnny Depp scares me to death and makes me wanna puke my own guts.

Yeah, Johnny Depp just looks wrong as Willy Wonka. The first and original one was much better.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdust
    Well when I read this thread last night, it gave me hope that I would like the film. And I was right. The movie was great. Thanks for all of the negative reviews, otherwise I might not have seen it.
    Huh? That made no sense.

BeLIEve me! My name is...something..?'s Avatar

Negative Reviews = Anticipation???
    The itching sensation is a good thing.

Well yes. My tastes are always the opposite of the majority. And so far the majority of the posters have posted distaste for the movie. I think it makes sense. Every movie that I've heard posters whine about, I've always enjoyed.

It's the same rule that so many apply to movie critics. If they like it, movie goers will hate it and vice versa. If you don't get it, oh well. :rolleyes2

Well yes. My tastes are always the opposite of the majority. And so far the majority of the posters have posted distaste for the movie. I think it makes sense. Every movie that I've heard posters whine about, I've always enjoyed.

It's the same rule that so many apply to movie critics. If they like it, movie goers will hate it and vice versa. If you don't get it, oh well. :rolleyes2
    Ah, but critics love this movie. In fact, it's getting excellent reviews all across the board. So much for going against the grain, eh?

No worries, Shadowdust. I resonate.

So, to all of you whining about how it wasn't faithful to Roald Dahl's novel or the Gene Wilder film: did it say anywhere in the credits Direct Remake of...old movie/book? Because, unless it was implied somewhere that this is supposed to be exactly the same as everything you've seen before just prettier, I don't see the issue. What would be the fun OR art in that, anyway? There's nothing wrong with a guy basing a movie off a book and going in his own direction with it.

Sorry, I just hate nothing more than people not liking something because it "missed the vision of the original." Well, guess what? It's not the original. That's what the original is there for. Go watch that if you're unwilling to be unbiased when seeing a revision. Secondly, I'd like to see what goes through your head on a regular basis if you didn't expect to see childish humor in a movie full of little kids in a chocolate factory. o.O

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

I didn't say that. It just didn't look like a movie I'd like, re-make, or not.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee
    Sorry, I just hate nothing more than people not liking something because it "missed the vision of the original." Well, guess what? It's not the original. That's what the original is there for.
    I think this is because that people are expecting something like the original, and become disappointed because of that. I know if they made a movie of of one of my favorite books that ended up being unfaithful, I would be disappointed

But, of course, if it was a good movie, I would be willing to overlook that.

So.....am I agreeing with you? I don't know anymore. Ignore me. xD

--Box Box Box Box

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee
    Secondly, I'd like to see what goes through your head on a regular basis if you didn't expect to see childish humor in a movie full of little kids in a chocolate factory. o.O
    Exactly!

Sous Chef actually Halifax Housewife's Avatar

i got so high for that movie.. what a trip that was. 'nuff said

Be free.

Watched it last night. It was great. Purists may hate the fact that they changed things, but the changes didn't really hurt the movie. And all changes from the book were really minor. Most changes from the old movie were straight out of the book. Even the added backstory, though it felt out of place, worked cause it gave Depp's portrayal of Wonka some meaning. It certainly would not have worked for Gene Wilder's version, but does here. As a remake and an adaption it may have failed, but as a stand-alone movie it's utter brilliance.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

I loved it! Burton did a great job and Elfman's music was simply mesmerizing. You see, this was not a re-make of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, if that's what you want it to be, which was completely unfaithful to the original novel. Don't compare it to the old film and don't let that sway your judgement. Let it be it's own film, it's own story. Anyway, I thought it was great and everyone I know really liked it too.
    Last edited by XenoSphere; 07-17-2005 at 01:56 PM.

BTW.. The "new" Oompa Loompa songs aren't new. Most of the lyrics straight out of the book.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

To me, a remake of a story is meant to change things around, to reinterpret the story, to give it a fresh take. Why would I want to watch it otherwise?

Having said that, this movie made me feel like a kid again. I smiled and laughed and felt all sorts of crazy emotions I felt when I was a little kid not much richer than Charlie himself. It felt good to watch.