Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FF VIII....not the Best FF

Default FF VIII....not the Best FF

Okay.........FF VIII

Wasn't it kinda bad?
    The graphics were cool, but the story wasn't too good.
    You people agree, right???

ff8 is my least fave ff but it did have some good features as you said the graphics and the fmvs are breathtaking but i thought the junction system was a BIG no no
    Thats me in the blue sporting the Edward Scissorhands haircut

Thanx for the cool Siggie Starry Relm.
    :evilking: :evilking:

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

I like all the FFs for their own reasons - honestly I think its difficult to compare them. Some have better stories, other have better characters, others have better battle systems, some great music, and others great graphics.

As for FF8 however, I feel that one:
    1. It had amazing music and graphics
    2. It had wonderful characters, the story just didn't develop them as well as it could have.
    3. The story has the potential to be execellent, with some tweaking - the first disc rocked! As it unfolded it just got too caught up in "surprising" us to be effective . . . Ulty should have been introduced way earlier, etc.
    4. Battling got boring. That kind of sucked, but the fact that monsters leveled up with you made it challenging. No more of this "train forever, then steamroll the final boss in one hit" strategies.

Regardless, FF8 is not my #1 favorite FF, sure - but it will always hold a special signifigance since it was the first FF I completed, and I love the characters.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

the junction system was easy to use, ff8 was a great game for its own reasons

1. Battle system
    2. Limit breaks (not the system)
    3. Characters
    4. weapon system
    5. Gfs they were all good
    6. the Ragnarok (it put highwind to shame)
    7. the music (definatly the best of the whole series)
    8. the age it was created towards i noticed that 9 and 10 where a bit babyish with the censors and some words cleaned up and the characters became dorks eg zidane

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Articles

It's not my favorite (that spot is reserved for FF6, which I believe should be played and completed before anyone can call themselves a fan), but I like it better than FF7 - not by much, but I still believe it's superior. And I cannot comprehend some of the arguments made by the "FF7 roxors, FF8 is teh worst" camp. I appreciate both games (as I do all of the games in the series), and I played FF7 first, so I deny any accusations of having a bias.

Complaint 1: Story
    While the story of FF8 is not perfect, FF7's is hardly a masterpiece, either. The most commonly critisized plot theme in FF8 is the "wow, we totally knew each other when were we kids, but we forgot!" point. I understand, but at least there's a somewhat in-depth explanation as to why they forgot and how they all came together, given the slight undertones relating to destiny and all that hoo-haw. It at least makes more sense then the convoluted mess that is the story of FF7 (especially towards the end).

It's somewhat understandable, though, considering that FF7's plot is almost entirely recycled from the story of FF6. That just goes to show a lack of creativity on Square's part, I suppose. FF7's plot starts off interesting, but all of the twists eventually tie themselves into one big knot that hardly makes any amount of sense. Yes, yes, I know all of the explanations regarding to Cloud/Zach and whether Sephiroth is Sephiroth and who's whose daddy, and blah, blah, blah. But it's still laughable when you put it down on paper.

Complaint 2: The Ability system
    I guess I really can't defend the Junction system beyond asking the question, "What the heck is so confusing about it?". Honestly, it's more difficult to use then FF7's materia system, but that's not saying a lot when you consider how simple the materia system is, and how lacking it is in depth. Both systems are fun to utilize, but the Junction system is not a terribly difficult concept to grasp. Sit through the tutorial; you shouldn't have to endure more than five minutes if you're a slow reader. Even if you're incredibly impatient, I think it would only make sense to "waste" five minutes, and know what's going on for the next fifty hours of the game, as opposed to wondering what the heck you're doing. But like I said before, any effort to defend the Junction system (or any ability system, for that matter) is in vain, because people will like what they like, and dislike what they dislike. I can accept that, though. I just wonder how many have a good understanding of the system and dislike it, rather than write it off as "omg this is stupid" because they don't bother spending a few minutes to learn how to use it.

Those are the two biggest complaints. I might have written more if I didn't feel like I'm wasting my time.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

ive played 6 and finished it with ease its a brilliant game but i like 8 alot better

LET THE HAMMER FALL

VIII was the most emotionally effective game I have ever played, probably my favorite game in the series.

Once you fully understand how to use the junction system it can be pretty "nifty". I thought the storyline was absaloutely brilliant until disc 3 started. It was like they realised there was no time for a decent ending sdo just threw a bunchof crap together with time travel and a practically non existent bad guy. Wasted potential... The characters were really brilliant though.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

the start of disc 3 was a dissapointment quite pointless bu after you found the ragnarok it was restored, well it told you how the time compression happened and untill ultimecia was killed then it would stay like that after she was killed it returned to normal but squall was transported into the past where he gave edea the ideas of garden and SeeD after that he lost his way through time and eventually lost hope and almost his life before rinoa came and rescued him her powers mixed with her emotions triggered the break of the compression and squall and rinoa weere on the field behind edea's house where squall made his promise "if you come here you'll find me, i'll be waiting"
    thats basically disc 4 for ya

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Quote Originally Posted by Destai
    Once you fully understand how to use the junction system it can be pretty "nifty". I thought the storyline was absaloutely brilliant until disc 3 started. It was like they realised there was no time for a decent ending sdo just threw a bunchof crap together with time travel and a practically non existent bad guy. Wasted potential... The characters were really brilliant though.
    You just didn't understand the ending, plain and simple.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

i 2nd that. if you payed attention to the last parts of disc 3 and disc 4 youd see they where the climax of the story

LET THE HAMMER FALL

This is my favorite in the series, not to mention my favorite game.

No Ive passed the game a good few times. Im pretty sure I get what happened. I just thought it was really stupid like most plots based on time travel. point out to me if Im wrong here,

The party entered the future and headed for Ultimecia, They defeated her and as she dies she unleashed time compression. Most of the party managed to escape it but Squall was caught in it. He saw Ultimecia pass on her powers to Edea and left that time. He was then lost in time compression, Felt its full effects and fell unconcious. Rinoa wandered to the place he promised to meet her and found him lieing unconcious there. For a second it looked like he was dead but luckily he was alive The end. The only real connection to the main plot discovered in disc 3 and on from the first two discs was Edea being possesed. It was like two different stories. What didnt make sense about time compression is as soon as it begun time would have ended in theory. They wouldnt have been able to form a plan to fight Ultimecia because that time never existed. The fact that they were standing there in UN compressed time should have been proof enough that Ultimecia didnt suceed in compressing time. Once time has been compressed time has ended and nothing that can feel pain or can ever die should be able to live in it. The whole idea of time compression I didnt like at all. thats why I thought it sucked. It doesnt mean I didn understand the story.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

actually Ultimecia was from the far far future time compression was unleashed after ellone sent rinoa and ultimecia to the past then returned rinoa then time compressed, they made they're way to ultimecia killed the bitch and went through the time compression. Squall got seperated from everyone and went into the past told matron/edea bout seed And garden then she recieved ultimecia's powers squall went back through time compression and became lost he couldnt hear his friends so he lost hope he almost died rinoa saved him and destroyed the compression.
    Ultimecia's last power was to send herself and anyone caught into the time compression and blah blah blah

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Thats pretty much what I said but that didnt make snese either. Time compression was when all the background went squiggly right? So then why didnt it hapen when they were in Ultimecias castle? And if time had been compressed then it would have been one minute theyre entering deling city-FLASH-The parties infront of Ultimecia fighting her. It didnt make sense. No one really understands how time works, Its just a continuing cycle. Pretty stupid to make a plot out of it. And why would Squall meeting Rinoa destroy time compression? And please dont say the power of love. And Time compression only happened to Squall after they defeated Ultimecia so why would that stop time compression?