Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone here do any type of martial arts?

I've been working on my marksmenship since I was very small, around five years old. I started off shooting squirrels from 150 yds. Right now, I'm accurate to about 300yds with my .30-06. I need a better scope since it's only 9x. If I had a closed sight, I can be much more accurated, if I'm steady enough, I can get over 500yds. But I always have to calculate for wind and ballistics, so I'm usually off my mark. I still dont know why my dad trained me as a kid, or why I continued when I could have said I'd like to do other things.

I've been doing martial arts since I was 6. I have a second degree black belt in Tae Kwan Do and Ju Jitsu. I stopped practicing seriously when I started college again. It takes up too much of my time, and grad school will take up even more. I practice every once in a while, but not with my instructor or students. I still got it though.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDRankLou
    It takes up too much of my time
    My dad taught me what he had learned of Tae Kwan Do and Kickboxing.
    I took Shotokan from Sensei Lafferty for four months before it started interfering in my studies.
    Ever since my dad stopped teaching me (his job really cut into his life), long before the Shotokan lessons, I've been training myself in freestyle. I mostly create unrealistic supermoves and special attacks but the carry-through requires real technique so though unrealistic, they may yet apply to actual combat.
    My dad and I used to practice shooting with an airgun because we couldn't afford to waste money on a real gun.
    I practice everyday with a 4' wooden stick in the field of swordsmanship. There is no real lesson class for me, I just try to think of different ways in which the sword would apply in combat and carry it out. I excel in the use of the 8' metal rod, but have been trying harder to master the many faculties of the 2' wooden flail. I've since constructed a weight set out of the wooden flail. I press 40 lbs military and every other day curl them in sets of 6.
    I can box while holding 20 lb dumbells and when I practice kickboxing, I wear special weights on my wrists and ankles much like Goku on DBZ.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Hokuto shin ken allows me to control one hundred percent of my body's energy.

But seriously, no, i dont do martial arts. ive learnt one of the forms for tai-chi, and i do qi kung to increase my energy levels, but this is all primarily for healing. I hope to learn a martial art when i've finished my degree, to balance out the healing aspect i have learnt.

~##

I did some karate a little while ago, but I really want to try Tae kwon do...altho at the moment I have to rely on running away

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion,
    I watched seabeams glittering at Tanhauser Gate.
    All these moments will be lost, like tears in rain.
    Time to die.

I bailed face-first off of my bicycle the other day. I sprained both my wrists and gave myself whiplash along with a nasty cut on my knee. I can't train with my weapons for a while. All I can do is train my hand-eye coordination through vg's.

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, but I've always wanted to. I think I'll seriously get into it next school year.

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

I have Nunchaku at home, I use them for practice sometimes when I am not on my guitar or GameCube. I practice Nunchaku myself, I know it's dangerous, but it can't be that much harm if you start of slow & work your way faster slowly, like learning a song on guitar. I've never injured myself as of yet. *touch wood* I learn from a Bruce Lee guide book that I have. I've not used them in a while though as I've been very busy, plus my house dosen't have a large enough room for me to practice in. I did use to go & practice with them in my friend's garage, but I've not seen much of him lately.

When I'm older I would like to learn Jeet Kune Do, & Wing Chun. As you may tell from those two I'm a very big fan of Bruce Lee. I've not really researched into Wing Chun, so it would be a a bit silly if I choose to do it & don't like it. I'd perhaps like to do them when I'm around 21, I'll have much more time on my hands then.

I would perhaps like to learn to use the Kendo, I'm very interested in that.

I bet you could teach yourself Jeet Kune Do. It's supposedly called "The style without form" or something like that. Meaning, it's a bit of everything. Sort of like disciplined freestyle. Then again, I suppose if you're not disciplined, you couldn't learn it on your own.
    I'm disciplined. Or maybe scared. I don't some teacher in my face telling me that I shouldn't use martial arts to fight. I know! I already know some martial arts. I could kill somebody with my feet. I've never been in a single fight even though I've always been picked on. If worse came to worse, like there was a gun in my face, the attacker would be a dead man. Unless it was a cop. That's a no-win situation. The only way to avoid being sent to prison to let him shoot you. I hate law enforcement. Everyone is crooked now. They shoot first, question later, and then plant a gun on you.

. . . and don't bring up the fact that not all divisions are crooked. I know that . . . but most of them are. When we called an officer over to investigate this guy who had been following me around, the cop was a nice guy. When my dad ordered me to drive into a police parking lot so we could ask directions to the new library, the cops were total aholes about the fact we can't drive into a police parking lot. We didn't know that. Give us a break! When we were pulling out, another cop showed up and stopped us. HEY! IDIOT! There's another cop over there. If we needed to be stopped, don't you think HE would have stopped us. Does he look dead to you? To top it off, the cop pestered me about my cap being on sideways! I needed it that way to block my sensitive ear from harmful UV rays.
    Still though, most cops you will ever meet are just gunhappy powermongers. They become cops not to enforce justice but to bully and harass.............................................................................

I'm done venting.

By the way, I used to do nunchaku too. I lost them, tried to create my own, didn't pan out. -_-
    Last edited by Mercen-X; 04-28-2005 at 06:47 PM.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Reading dragonballs, watchinc SmackDown and RAW, hacking at a boxing bag, also latex weapon stuff

Blademaster of Northland DeBlayde's Avatar

Katori Shinto Muso Ryu is fun.

So is Go Soku Ryu.

a momentous occasion approaches next month, and we'll see how it turns out.

Makoto, Honesty.

BeLIEve me! My name is...something..?'s Avatar

I do!! I just started last year, so I'm still on very basic stuff, but whatever.
    The itching sensation is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X
    I bet you could teach yourself Jeet Kune Do. It's supposedly called "The style without form" or something like that. Meaning, it's a bit of everything. Sort of like disciplined freestyle. Then again, I suppose if you're not disciplined, you couldn't learn it on your own.
    Yeah, I suppose I could learn it on my own. I'd just need the dedication for it.

Used to do Tae Kwon Do, till my instructor decided she'll stop classes on Thursday and I thought "pfffttt"

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"