Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here do any type of martial arts?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The info all came from GameFAQs. In the MGS3 section, someone's written a superb and detailed article about the history and use of CQC in the real world.

Here's a link to the guide which contains that article.

Edit: Some of the details in my original post are slightly inaccurate. I read that article quite a few weeks ago, before posting about it just now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just kick and scream and bite and scratch.

I don't do any type of martial arts, but I think it's pretty cool and I have alot of respect for those who are martial artists.

I do South Pacific Taekwon-Do and I'm a 1st Dan Black Belt
    Unfortunately i haven't been able to beat anyone up (or even use it for self defense for that matter) but its made me super flexible!
    I await the day someone succumbs to my fists of fury
    It is better for you to die in hope than to live in despair.
    Let me be your liberator.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    I don't do any type of martial arts, but I think it's pretty cool and I have alot of respect for those who are martial artists.
    Bow to the fist!

Blademaster of Northland DeBlayde's Avatar

I've trained a bit, here and there. Nothing spectacular. Not very flexible, not very quick, not especially powerful, not especially agile.

I've never been called upon to defend myself, and I doubt I will since I avoid such situations whenever possible. Nor have I been called upon to defend a loved one, either.

It's a great stress reliever, though. but it does become difficult to remain properly humble.

Makoto, Honesty.

My dad taught me karate, kung fu, and south pacific tae kwon do, he was going to teach me tai chi, but never got around to it, as a kid. Later on I got into kendo. On off time, I usually practice fencing to keep my muscles toned for kendo. A couple years ago, I started teaching myself jeet kune do. However, I dont really count that because the only way I know if I'm doing a move right is look in the book, or watch it done on tv. I also practice with nunchaku, bo, two sword style. I make combinations to use my own freestyle fashioned after a couple martial arts. I could hold my own in a fight, group or 1 on 1. I'm also trained with various firearms and marksmenship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlayde
    I've trained a bit, here and there. Nothing spectacular. Not very flexible, not very quick, not especially powerful, not especially agile.

I've never been called upon to defend myself, and I doubt I will since I avoid such situations whenever possible. Nor have I been called upon to defend a loved one, either.

It's a great stress reliever, though. but it does become difficult to remain properly humble.
    You pretty much described my situatuon as well. I train broadsword fighting every week though.

3 years of Ju Jitsu...

My girlfriend is two belts higher than me though...

Yah, she can kick my rear.
    Anyone can rule the world if they give it the ol' college try.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I use to do Ti kwan do, and I had a "street" self defence session in my PE class.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

I love the martial arts.I just find it so incredibly fascinating learning how all the various styles originated and evolved through history , particularly Budou/Bujutsu, (the generic term for the Japanese martial arts) , all the different specializations of styles available today is incredible.I regularly visit martial arts supply sites, to check out weaponry , equipment etc. and as well as the historical-related stuff have a number of books on the great Bruce Lee.So , yeah , I'm pretty absorbed by the martial arts.
    I've had some experience in the striking arts, namely kickboxing , and at one point was looking to take up either Wing Chun or Choy Li Fut , but I'm now considering taking lessons in Aikido or Jujitsu over the summer.

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know there are some people in the world who are masters at Tae-Queere-Do...

I did Karate for two years, and made it to green belt. And then I quit. xD I did kickboxing the whole of last year, but I'm taking a 3-month break from it now. I know some good moves, even though I haven't actually started my belt grading system yet. I did fencing for three years...does fencing count as a martial art? xD
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

I did Tae Kwon Do for awhile and did a little with Nunchaku
    Angelic Demon child

im doing Tae kwon-Do i got back from it 30 mins ago been doing that for a year and a bit before i did kick boxing so im bpretty agile ,fast but my short size means im pretty weak
    im not allowed to take up anything involving swords/knives/nunchuks or any toher weapon(i have two younger sisters)but my aim with a gun is pretrty good though i have never shot a real gun i have had practise using paintballing