Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emo kids!

Default Erf, arguing emo. What am i doing?

Guys. Please. i imagine Linkin Park and the emo community would both be upset.

Emo is Thursday. Emo is The Get Up Kids, and sometimes Jets to Brazil, and maybe a little bit of Alkaline Trio, if they're feeling particularly down; emo is whatever solidified back with Fugazi and exploded into the hardcore scene on this whole new concept of dramatic melody and introspective vocals and generally a lot of silliness. Though there are, i'll admit, plenty of great emo acts.

Chester wears thick black glasses and sings about himself. Similarity done. i can understand the association, but they're just too much post-grunge metal sludge.

Plus, emo likes to kick out the big ones.

(-o-)

-tie fighter

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Linkin Park is pretty emo. I suppose a "real emo" would say someone who thought Linkin Park was emo a poser though...

Labels are for cereal.

Default Labels are for cereal.

Labels are for cereal.
    Nice.
    Banned... *Hangs head in shame.* That will teach me to step up on my soapbox.

I was asking around from some recently ex-patted patrons from the USA; and Emo kids LIKE to be called Emo because it's 'cool'. Personally I think pretending to be emotional or 'emo' is smurftarded.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I dislike some people who claim to be "emo" because they say they're more "in-tune" with the happenings and sufferings of the world...they claim to be "emo," but then visciously protest against being labelled. Seems a bit contradictory to me...and I'm really, really against the cutting and stuff, as I've seen people who do that and it's not a pretty sight at all.

Of course, listening to emo music means you cry all the time and cut yourself and you view the world as a horrible place full of suffering.

I'm going to listen to some emo music and fall directly into that exact stereotype, HOW SUBSTANTIAL.

You're all such *labels and/or stereotypes here*

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    Basically, an emo kid looks similar to this:

I keep on forgetting to use this as a sig. xD
    xD

Half of those bands aren't emo though. Just Linkin Park and Good Charlotte. The other two fall under the Poser Punk label. Didn't you get a copy of the handbook?
    I still have the file saved as a .psp so I can edit the layers. Which bands would be more emo (well, crappy emo)?

Ah well, we should all let them do what the hell they want as long as they don't hurt us in any way. Even if it is annoying to some of you people, we should just respect their individuality. If people want to be Emo, then I say let them go have fun and be Emo.
    "Feed me."

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Emo, a sub-culture of the punk culture. Punks are stereotypically noted as hating everything and listen to music that explains this hate. Emo is described as an emotional punk, which is completely hypocritical of everything a punk stands for... Hence, Emo, as a culture, is completely flawed in its ways.

I shall list the following of punk definitions, then an emo definition from urban dictionary.

1. punk
    TRUE: louder, faster form of rock and roll, often antiestablishment
    FALSE: fast, tonedeaf pop-rock, often about relationships
    TRUE: The Ramones
    FALSE: Blink 182

2. punk
    A person who makes a lot of threats or puts up a charade, yet has done nothing to prove himself. Usually, it is assumed that this person will when his words are put to the test.
    All that punk does is talk about how bad he is.

3. punk
    loud fast repeatitive chords and drum beats
    LOOK UP: TONEDEAF
    Punk sucks

1. Tonedeaf
    One who cannot distingish whether his or hers singing sucks
    Ruben Studdard

1. Emo
    Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.
    ::sniff sniff:: "The Demise of the Siberian Traintracks of Our Rusty Forgotten Unblemished Love" sounds like it would make a great emo band name. ::

2. Emo
    Punk music on estrogen. Often acoustic guitar with soft, high male vocals that dwell exessively on the singer's feelings, especially melancholy remembrances of past relationships/mistakes in life. A form of music that diverged from punk in the '80s, the name "emo" is derived from the emotive style of the lyrics and music. This genre has lately been marketed heavily by the music industry to teenagers with bands such as Dashboard Confessional and Taking Back Sunday, and has seen much commercial and mainstream success. The music has also spawned a subculture which conforms to certain conventions in dress such as tight sweatshirts, tight band T-shirts and horn-rim glasses. Adherents profess to exessively melancholy temperments. Males that adhere to the emo subculture are sometimes confused with metrosexuals; indeed the line between the two is somwhat blurred, though both groups claim to be intouch with their emotional side. The ephemeral and hackneyed nature of emo songwriting suggests that its audience will be restricted largely to teenagers. the genre suffers from a lack of credibility outside the aforementioned demographic group, much like current Nu Metal bands.
    girlfriend: C'mon, lets have sex.
    boyfriend: I'm too sad to have sex.
    girlfriend: I'm sad too; lets have sex and cry.
    boyfriend: I'm already crying.

3. emo
    the type of music you listen to when, try as you might, you cannot get laid..and cry about it..
    man, ive been listening to a lotta emo lately

4. Emo
    Like a Goth, only much less dark and much more Harry Potter.
    My life sucks, I want to cry.

5. emo
    An entire subculture of people (usually angsty teens) with a fake personality. The concept of Emo is actually a vicious cycle that never ends, to the utter failing of humanity, and it goes something like this:

1. Girls say they like "sensitive guys" (lie)
    2. Guy finds out, so he listens to faggy emo music and dresses like a dork so chicks will see that he is sensitive and not afraid to express himself (lie). He dyes his hair black, wraps himself in a stupid looking scarf, develops an eating disorder, and rants about how "nobody understands".
    3. Now an emo guy, he meets Emo chick and they start dating, talking about how their well-off suburban lifestyles are terrible and depressing (lie)
    4. Emo guy is just too much of a pussy. His penis is too small, he's too depressed to bathe, and has more mood swings than emo chick, and he doesn't even have a menstrual cycle. Emo chick dumps him, saying "It's not you, it's me." (lie) as she drives off with Wayne, the school jock and captain of the football team.
    5. Emo guy goes home and cries, proceeds to write a weak song and strum a single string on his acoustic guitar. Another emo chick sees how he is so in touch with his feelings, and the cycle continues.

This is the sad truth of the emo lifestyle/music, and now that I look at how pathetic it really is, maybe the emos DO have something to cry about!

When she sees how sensitive and emo I have become, she'll definately go out with me!

Yaay, this thread has taught me a new way to stereotype people.
    Casteal is my little sister!

Default and i said that's so sid vicious of you

The tiring thing about talking music these days is that the music is not half as important as the culture.

(-o-)

-tie fighter

I'd much rather talk about the music than how people stereotype the musicians and the people who listen to that which they compose.

But, there's never a chance.

That or people are too "elitist" when it comes to music, and you're not allowed to like one band if you like another, or getting into them on their second or third album is considered "populist" and you're not a "true fan".

What happend to just plain liking music for it being music and not how it made you appear to other people?

there is really only one "emo kid" that i have ever liked, and that was my cousin. most (not all) emo kids are annoying. cause its almost as if they want us to feel bad for them. like i care if no one knows how they really feel, thats life bud.
    SIg removed for exceeding 250 pixel height

Default Hmmm?

Ah well, we should all let them do what the hell they want as long as they don't hurt us in any way. Even if it is annoying to some of you people, we should just respect their individuality. If people want to be Emo, then I say let them go have fun and be Emo.
    Best reply yet in this thread.

2. Emo. Punk on estrogen.
    Soooo... Green Day?

And hey, nothing's wrong with estrogen. The world spins on it.
    Banned... *Hangs head in shame.* That will teach me to step up on my soapbox.

Pyramid Head is l.o.v.e Social Moon Firesky's Avatar

What's the point in labelling people? I have a couple of friends who fall into the 'Emo Kid' category, and they would hate to be called that because they hate being stereotyped. I'm lucky, 'cos I don't fall into any category, asides from maybe the 'Random/Insane' one.
    ~Maelström Fury~

.: Sekhmet's Moon :. Here.

私は天使の女王です。