Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Modest Proposal

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I like the whole judge and jury thing. I think I present a similar idea in the past and was shot down. Although I can't remember if it was here or at fool's gold :/

The real question is, who would be the Judge? The jury could probably change from case to case, but the Judge would have to be someone who knows what they are doing and has a firm grasp on what needs to be done.

Take care all.

Me? Its my idea and I could care less. Plus it puts me in the position to agrue with the staff(as I love doing). But I can not as I would need to be brought before a judge WAAAAY too many times >_<

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

as long as we don't get the evil Hanging Judge!

It might be interesting to have a Staff Advisory Council made up of eminent members.

I wouldn't say that EoFF is a corporation, since it exists for the enjoyment of those who use it, rather than financial gain. Because of this, the bottom line should always be what is best for the community, and what course of action will make everyone's experience here as enjoyable as possible.

Still, EoFF isn't suited to a full democracy either. This forum isn't a nation, and people don't depend on it in the same way as they depend on the communities they live in every day. Whereas everyone deserves to have a say in how their country is run, it isn't necessary for them to have that same level of power at these forums. Not only would such a system be unworkable, but it wouldn't be taken seriously by the majority of members, and ultimately be bad for the community, which is of course what this whole discussion is about.

So what is best for the community? The answer seems obvious to me, and that is to keep the system as it is today. That system has served EoFF well for the past four years, and I for one haven't a bad word to say about it. The way things are done here had nothing to do with this week's events, it was the people within the system that made the choices. A shake-up of the whole EoFF system seems rather pointless when the existing set-up has been so successful. There are changes to be made, yes, but not in the fundamental structure of the forums.

I don't agree with the way that the staff handled this situation, but I'm still happy with the overall running of the forums. Like eest said, outside of Feedback there's no trouble whatsoever, and that's a sign that we've got an excellent 'government' in place. There's no need for dramatic changes just yet, so let's just stick with our tried and tested system for now.

Quote Originally Posted by princeofdarknez
    If EoFF is a corporation, then where are my shares?
    We're customers.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Minor changes should be made to the current system. Adding a new part of the system in the staff, like someone who would interpret the laws, well, I honestly do not think that will work here. The staff do a good job with what they're doing, so adding someone to act like a judge wouldn't work.

As the way I see it. The staff have multiple duties.

Administrators' Duties
    • Discuss Policies/Rules in Staff Forum
    • Enforce Policies/Rules
    • Change Screen Names.
    • Create New or Remove Old Forums
    • Close or Open Threads
    • Ban or Unban Members
    • Ban or Unban Members from EoEO/EoTW
    • Answer Reports
    • Remove Signatures
    • Give or Take Away Special Ranks (i.e. Cid's Knight, Site Staff, Recognized Member etc.)

Cid's Knights' Duties
    • Discuss Policies/Rules in Staff Forum
    • Enforce Policies/Rules
    • Close or Open Threads
    • Ban Members
    • Answer Reports

Cid's Additional Duty
    • Make Final Decision on Disputes (if necessary)

As you can see, the staff have a lot of duties, with the Admins having extra duties, and Cid probably making the final call in any disputes.

As you can see, I'm still really familiar with how the staff works around here. They discuss things in the Staff Forum, usually as behind the curtain without anyone knowing what they're discussing about. About everything they decide on goes unnoticeable.

If there's going to be an addition member in the staff, acting as the "judge" it will certainly not work on EoFF. As you can probably tell, the Feedback Forum is like the Judiciary Branch to the Executive/Legislative Branch that is the staff. However, the Feedback Forum can also act like a minor congress, with some members suggesting ideas to the staff, and the staff can "veto" any "bill" that comes their way. They can also take some "bills" and make it into "law", but they would be discussing it with themselves, and put the "bill" into act.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cid's Knights can remove signatures too Admins can also do more than what's on your list, but I suppose if you've not adminned a board before, you probably wouldn't need to know about some things, like templates and other tweaks
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I did mention that Admins do other work, though, not all of them do that. xD

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    I thought this thread was going to be about eating babies.
    I didn't read any comment after that one, because it's the best one possible. I love you, Spiff.

I, personally, think Staff runs better with someone in charge, usually the owner. I think Staff here ran smoother when Sean was here all the time, making the final decisions. Whether or not we like it, what Sean says goes, because it's his board.

It's when Cid is gone, and he leaves staff members of equal authority(supposedly) to run things in his place. This is where drama like last week's pops up - when there's a big rift in Staff over what the right decision is. Both sides felt strongly about their opinion, and weren't backing down. If Cid was here, he would've made a final decision before things got out of hand, and that would be that. Instead, a lot of stuff continued to happen.

With Cid away most of the time, and no one in charge, it can't really be run better than it already is. Cid trusts his staff to do what's best, and we, the members, trust the staff to do what's best.

In short: it can't be made any better unless there's someone who can step in to make the final decisions when the Staff disagrees as a whole.

The forums can't be made truly democratic - that would be utter chaos. And, to put it bluntly, most of the members don't really care about EoFF. That's what the staff is for - for some of the members who care about the place, and who have shown that they have good judgment, to make the decisions.

Sorry if that was way off topic by this point.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Everything in here is way off topic by this point.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto
    the staff can "veto" any "bill" that comes their way...
    ...And some staff can "veto" actions of longer-serving members without consulting anyone...>>

Merde. All this crap makes me feel as bad as though I'd never left staff. I've got a modest proposal for you--How about everyone just shuts the smurf up. The issue is resolved, 'Kishi is staying, and who honestly wants to see him gone when EoFF would be the poorer for it?

Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane
    We're customers.
    Then where's my goddamn product?

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

how much do you pay to use EoFF?

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc
    how much do you pay to use EoFF?
    Wouldn't you like to know