Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Target: Iran

I'd hope not, personally i just recieved confirmation that Selective Service recieved my registration (My 18th birthday is in October). And my civics teacher and I had a long dicussion about the possibility of war with Iran and the draft, and my options.

I came to the conclusion, that i will NOT SENTENCE SOMEONE ELSE TO GO TO WAR IN MY PLACE. My draft number is 72, in Vietnam they far surpassed that. I dont know if they are gonna redraw the numbers before the draft or what, but i know that if i have to pull the trigger so somebody else doesnt have to, i'll do it.

If u dodge u may end up sending a cousin or friend, or someone else u care about.
    yeahi understand that.But since the drafting laws have changed.Let see..Now a mothers only son can get drafted.So that destroys whole families.it does a lot of things.The fact thatI'm my moms only son and she just cant have another baby i mean my dad left her and she can't give birth anymore .Right after she had me well lets just say she had cancer in her uteris adn they removed it.Completely.so yeah my whole family bloodline would die out if I die fighting a war I don't believe in.But thats just me being black and young.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I personally would dodge a draft. I refuse to kill someone, I simply will not take another human life. I am also not physically strong, I would not be an asset to the military.

The best goal for Iraq now is to try and set up a stable government, give them an army to help enforce the peace, and in doing so getting the hell out of there.

I seriously doubt we'll be going anywhere else anytime soon. A draft will probably be the final straw that will break the proverbial camel's back. My mother insists I go to Canada if they ever think to deploy me, but that's a fanatical idea that I would never be able to carry out. I would never be able to live knowing that I abandoned my country in an hour of need. I would be branded a coward and a traitor- volunteered or not.

I really don't believe in some of the reasons for the war either- but if someone shot at me, I would shoot back and I would shoot with the intent to kill them. Over there, the people shooting you wouldn't spare you one inch. If you're captured as a soldier expect to be executed on video tape. It's a scary thought, but its a harsh realitily with high probability.

Now the Bush administration isn't perfect, but because he's in office is probably the only reason I wasn't sent packing over to the sandbox after I got out of training. I don't want this to burst into a Bush vs. Kerry thread, but I don't think Kerry would have done much but add more bodies over in the desert. He was full of empty promises, I felt, throughout his entire campaign. Liberals hate the army anyway but that's besides the point.

I doubt Iraq will become an "American democrasy" government, but I hope it will eventually evolve into something just as stable and not as twisted or cruel as it was under Hussein's reign. The problem with American democracy is the fact it was formed using the Christian religion. Islamic is a very different religion- which may cause problems in the future.

Now, my solution to the whole problem is much simpler... but would really upset a lot of people in the world. I noticed a lot of service members share it- surprisingly- but then, no one wants to go to war.

EDIT:;

I am also not physically strong, I would not be an asset to the military.
    Oh believe me- they'll make you strong. I was 98lbs going into Basic and I now weigh 109- not too big of a difference- but I was in the top three for being the most physically fit, best shooter, and best leader. Believe me- the Army will make you an asset- really if you want it or not, hehe.

Broken Wings LJ | M.S. Fisher deviantART

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    I personally would dodge a draft. I refuse to kill someone, I simply will not take another human life. I am also not physically strong, I would not be an asset to the military.
    theres alway the airforce if oyu rsmart enough lol.I can get through it in a breeze and they really couldn't find anything to kick me out.The only thing that would have me fihg ta war is because my dad served int eh gulf war and my grandpa on my dads side served in vietnam and my grandpa on my moms side served in WW2.And my great grandpa on my dad side served in Spanish-American war.But other than that nope I wouldn't join the military I would dodge the draft.Also my dad won't let me do it anyway.Even though hes 2k miles away from were I live.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I fly a plane and bomb someone, I've merely increased the amount of blood on my hands, so to speak. Of course the chances of me flying aren't too high, but I would still feel culpable in aiding the military kill people. I do not fight, and I refuse to be party to slaughter. Period.

"The problem with American democracy is the fact it was formed using the Christian religion. Islamic is a very different religion- which may cause problems in the future."

Indeed. One could even argue that the greatest single challenge the world faces now is how to make various religions co-exist without it somehow erupting into conflict or holy wars of some nature.

Deep down though, both Islam and Christianity at heart are well intentioned religions that preach loving life and peace, yet in our era, they both have been perverted in various ways to divert attention away from more high minded ideals and are used as a means to seperate, to cause strife and conflict and could ultimately be at the very heart of a rift in society.

Also, BtV, I believe that makes you a conscientious objector.

Take care all.

I do not fight, and I refuse to be party to slaughter. Period.
    You mean if you got drafted? Or are you just talking about putting yourself in... uh the terrorist shoes? Because you were talking about flying planes with bombs- just kinda confused as to the picture you were trying to paint with your words.

And I know there is some word the military uses for people who do not wish to use violence in the time of war. I just can't think of it right now. On the tip of my tongue. It is possible- but I think it's very difficult to be "approved" for that type of service.

edit: My opinions slightly biased from the experiences I've had with the people we're at war with. I personally feel the only people getting slaughtered are our men and women in the military. Which I don't want to be a part of either. Though we have taken the man out of power who was responsible for the countless slaughtering of his own people. So maybe there is a little bit a good out of this whole mess.

Broken Wings LJ | M.S. Fisher deviantART

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I get drafted, I'll choose prison instead, or possibly the marine core band, since they don't have to fight. I refuse to kill another living person.

As far as the bombs, what I'm saying is if you drop a bomb on someone you've still killed, probably several people at that, and I won't do that either.

If I understand military law correctly, claiming that you are indeed a conscientious objector, and being able to prove it to a Court of Appeals, would either exempt you from service, or would place you in a non-combat department, such as the band or as some sort of civil service clerk and the like.

Take care all.

Quote Originally Posted by lordblazer
    yeahi understand that.But since the drafting laws have changed.Let see..Now a mothers only son can get drafted.So that destroys whole families.it does a lot of things.The fact thatI'm my moms only son and she just cant have another baby i mean my dad left her and she can't give birth anymore .Right after she had me well lets just say she had cancer in her uteris adn they removed it.Completely.so yeah my whole family bloodline would die out if I die fighting a war I don't believe in.But thats just me being black and young.
    Wow. u just described my stituation down to the word. Except that my parents still live under the same roof, but they hate each other. My mom had her uterus removed. And i myelf am also the only son, and black and young. Its strange that we have these different views.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And this is where I say "You've got a will, but it isn't free." :]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakan the forever man
    If you never hear from me again, it is because I came to close to the truth.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I understand military law correctly, claiming that you are indeed a conscientious objector, and being able to prove it to a Court of Appeals, would either exempt you from service, or would place you in a non-combat department, such as the band or as some sort of civil service clerk and the like.
    If that is truly the case, I would most certainly go that route. I hate the notion of violence and feel that war is ultimately pointless, usually it ends up in the obliteration of one society or surrender, after thousands, even millions of people have been killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    If I fly a plane and bomb someone, I've merely increased the amount of blood on my hands, so to speak. Of course the chances of me flying aren't too high, but I would still feel culpable in aiding the military kill people. I do not fight, and I refuse to be party to slaughter. Period.
    Try being in a dog fight dude.Its tougher than ground combat I tell you that.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And you seemed to have missed the point entirely. I DON'T want to kill someone and I see no difference with gunning someone down on the field or bombing them from a "safe" distance.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I will fight for a war I believe in. I will go and happily fight for my country, but only if I believe in the war we're fighting. I don't condone wars, I condone justice. What America has done is not justice, it is conquest.

I'm really not very smart, but I want to be smart, so I'll start here. I was travelling for a week or so, and I didn't really get the news but I did hear something about Iran.

What did Iran do, and why would America go to war with them?
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D