Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Asian Disaster

60 000 thats unbelievable...this is truely a tragedy! Im speechless what can you say to something like this except why?

As for the Philippines...im sure its fine though speaking for a filo myslef Joliibee is awesome! havent been there in a while but the only thing you should worry about is traffic and peak hour times!

[Life is Eternity in a nutshell]

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The man from the U.N. who was being critical of the amount of aid being sent by the Western countries actually HAD an impact.

Before his statement, the U.S. announced a 4 million dollar donation to Red Cross, AFTER his statement the U.S. upped it to 15 million. Within a few hours from the statement Canada increased it's aid from 1 Million to 4 Million and stressed that it was only the beginning.

The guy wasn't blaming America specifically, he was directing his statements to ALL western countries. It takes a lot of guts to step up and say that for a tragedy of such behemoth scale, people who have the power to help must be willing to open their purse strings a little.

Sure he wasn't being very tactful, but his intention was to get the media to question the aid their countries were giving. It worked.

Don't forget that the number of dead will certainly go over 100000,especialy when diseases start spreading among the people struck by the disaster
    But for a certainty back then
    We loved so many,yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...
    Yet even then we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Blog Entries

Shadow Nwxus would you like to go on vacation and look out of the window and see people dying of hunger? Now is more than 69.000 deads.
    Last edited by Polaris; 12-29-2004 at 11:38 AM.

divinty the world isn't a case of see no evil, hear no evil, be no evil. Traveling to a country with poverty and hunger doesn't in any way endorse it and most of these people you talk about survive off the tourism.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

Blog Entries

I just don't understand how can those people be on vacation and see other dying of hunger... don't hate me for don't understanding that! Those people shouldn't live of tourism only....

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's really tragic.

It's reported now that the death toll may exceed 100,000. That's more than the amount of people killed by either of the atomic bombs dropped near the end of WWII. That's so awful i can barely imagine it. Most of them children also - a generation wiped out. I can't see how anywhere could recover from something like that.
    [center] I Painted My Own Mona Lisa
    She's Fixed Everything
    Now I'm Spoilt Beyond My Wildest Dreams
    [center]

It is very tragic.. I believe the actual number is much much higher than 60,000 and we won't be able to grasp it's damage for years to come.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's nearly 80,000 now. I feel like donating some money to the Red Cross. I dunno how though.

EDIT: I just read Shlup's entry. Now this is seriously reminding me of A Day after Tommorow.
    Last edited by Rye; 12-29-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    It's nearly 80,000 now. I feel like donating some money to the Red Cross. I dunno how though.
    There's been so many casualties in 2004, I've been donating money to victims of the Iraq occupation all year and I'm trying to find some efficient organizations for this recent natural disaster....

Just be sure to check that the organization is OK with the American security filters.

The American people are very charitable.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember when I was younger, I raised money for 9/11 causes, but I just gave that to the school I was in at the time for them to send to causes.

I'm sure after they will make a fund soon.

Bush had just made a statement about helping out with relief funds.

From what I've read, they're predicting a quarter million to be dead at the end of this with at least 50,000 of the death toll out at sea.

Divinty, if that's how you feel then fine. What everyone else is trying to say is that these people are able to survive thanks to the funds they recieve from tourism. It's a shame that that seems as if it's the only means of pulling in money but sometimes it is. Many countries survive mostly on tourism. If it angers you that these people vacation there then that's fine but it's not right in my eyes for you to not feel sadness or at least some emotions rather than deserves-them-right.

I'm very worried about the sitaution over in those countries. It seems as if you didn't die from the natural disasters then you'll end up dying form measels or other diseases. I surely hope that aid isn't coming to late for those communities.

My condolencses to those who have lost and my deepest hopes that things start looking better.
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

*Doesn't use split personalities in this thread*

According to many news sources, the death toll is somewhere around 81,000. Just thinking about it makes me completely depressed. How the numbers could rise from an estimate 12,000 yesterday, to 80,000 today. There are many, many missing. What makes me tremble the most is that they are people just like us. A large population of many areas has been wiped out. People related to those who passed away are crying as well. I can't bear to hear anymore news on the rising death count. All I can say is I am sorry to all those who lost any family, and hope things start brightening up a bit, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by princeofdarknez
    I just got a call from him saying he's okay. What luck. :relief:
    That is very good.

I heard somewhere there were 100,000 dead.