Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux questions

Default Linux questions

I've convinced myself that Windows sucks and I want to get a free Linux OS. So I have a few questions.

1. I've been raised on Windows my whole life, does Linux run like a Windows OS?

2. I heard there was a Linux that runs almost exactly like a Windows OS, where can I get it?

3. A friend told me that if you want to use Linux properly you need to read a huge maunal, is he right?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I'm no expert but I found the "Linux for Dummies" book very helpful for getting my feet wet with Linux. Also the book typically comes with a version of Linux (RedHat in my book) for you to install on your computer and learn with.
    Figaro Castle

It depends on the extent to which you wish to use it. If you plan on playing video games on your computer stick to Windows, (The only reason I still use Windows at home) Hardly any games port to Unix/Linux because most Linux/Unix users typically stay away from proprietary software. If you just want to use your computer for writing papers, going on the internet, listening to music, watching video clips you don't need a large manual. If you want to go deeper than that you might consider taking a class at your local community college, (or normal college if you are currently enrolled in one) I've taken all the UNIX classes at my school and loved them, they're fun and useful.

Hmm, I did some googling and I found something called "Lindows" it runs like a Windows OS only not as sucky. Should I try it?

No.

If I were you I would run Mandrake or Slackware, those are my favorites at least.

Unless you want to go all out and run FreeBSD

Can somebody raised on Windows use those? Because I'm an idiot when it comes to other OSs.

Like I said, what do you want to use it for? Anything outside of the reasons I listed above?

Well I'll be using my comp for mainly webrowsing, playing games online and listening to music. XP crashed on me because it can't handle my video driver so I want to switch to Linux so this thing won't crash anymore.

Well you definately won't be dissapointed in the switch, Linux is alot 'cleaner' than any version of Windows you can get your hands on. With what you said you're gonna use the computer for you shouldn't have any problems getting used to it, but be warned about the Online game thing. Linux is not really an OS for a PC gamer, lots of games will not run on Linux and once Windows is gone, if you have a problem you'll have to start from scratch to have fun again.

*note to self: If I had a really fast and reliable computer I would run Linux and play PC games in a Windows XP virtual machine via VMware.

Would games like Diablo II, Halflife, and Ragnarok? Link me to where I can download Mandrake or Lindows.

I don't know which games will or won't run but I'd guess all of those probably will not run. Linux and Windows are totally different so you'd have to find a Linux port version of the game you want to run. Software you pick up in stores for Windows is for Windows. Check it out before you make any final decisions.

You can download Mandrake here:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3

Use Bittorrent

http://www.torrentstorm.com/

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Cedega runs Diablo2 and Halflife perfectly.

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still have to see RO run on linux, though (I tried wine, wine cvs, and wineX, no luck). On another note, isn't Cedega not free?
    Ans last, forget about playing games in vmware, because vmware has <u>no</u> hardware acceleration support, nor DirectX support, and doesn't plan on doing it.

And then there is Death

Quote Originally Posted by Endless
    Ans last, forget about playing games in vmware, because vmware has <u>no</u> hardware acceleration support, nor DirectX support, and doesn't plan on doing it.
    Note to self:

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Do not use Lindows.

Mandrake is a good newbie system.

The thing is, if you want to use Linux like Windows (like...without having to learn anything and having the OS do everything for you), you won't be doing much. You'll have to do a lot of learning (Google becomes your best friend) to do much. Fortunately, for most problems you run into, someone else has run into the same problem with the same OS on another message board and someone else has supplied them with an answer. So yeah. Learn to love Google.