Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M. Night Shymalan is the worlds worst, most overrated film maker.

Default M. Night Shymalan is the worlds worst, most overrated film maker.

He is, face it.

The Sixth Sense was terrible, with a horrifyingly obvious ending.

Unbreakable was a near-nigh identical film, in fact while watching it was expecting a twist at the end that OH MY GOD (SPOILER)Bruce Willis' character was dead! but I was sadly dissapointed.

And then Signs, pure, unadulterated rubbish.

All his films go in the same manner, dramatic build up attempting to build some tension. Then, very much of an anti-climax of an ending, where something dramatic happens and then THAT'S IT, THE END. And it just leaves me going WTF WHERE WAS THE REST OF THE FILM WHERE SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS?

And then comes the new film, The Village, where the man has the gall to actually put his terrible name to it.

I for one won't be seeing it, not out of protest just because it'll be a terrible waste of money and time. Did I mention waste of money?

So yes, who enjoys his "work" and who doesn't?

EDIT : I don't know if I spelt his name right, but it's a stupid name and I don't care.
    Last edited by Lindy; 08-07-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoy his films.

Firstly because of the tension they have in them, they always make me jump at some point.

Secondly because of the twists at the ends of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, neither of which were obvious to me. Maybe I'm just slow but (SPOILER)I didn't realise he was dead in the first one. It was interesting to watch it a second time knowing.

The Sixth Sense, made me feel spooked, and made me cry. I like films that bring out some emotion in me.

Signs, I didn't like as much as the others but I still liked.

So yes, I enjoy his work.
    rawr

Unbreakable didn't even have a twist =(

It was just (SPOILER)"Ahar! I am invincible, except against water, which was revealed much earlier in the film! And now I just overcome my weakness of water! *the end* "

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, the twist was (SPOILER)the comic book maker being that terrorist, or something like that. I forget exactly. It just made me sit there thinking for ages. I like when films do that.
    rawr

I think that one was pretty obvious when he was referring to himself as the opposite of Willis' character, I'm sure he mentioned that they were nemeses or something like that.

That and he was so intent of finding someone who was like a comic book hero.

Make a movie better than him. Then I'll buy your argument.

Or I'll just settle for a sound argument, although I think that's asking for too much here.
    Logic is as much overrated to you as M. Night Shyamalan is, it seems. *yawn* :rolleyes2:

So the fact that nothing ever really happens in his films, except right at the end, isn't a valid argument for why they're bad films?

Funny, you see, where I come from, that makes a bad film.

M. Night Shylaman is one of the worlds greatest film maker of all time.

The Sixth Sense: Scary and wonderful, evryone was always saying the phrase: I see dead people

Signs: It dosnt matter if its unadultrated, its a great show.

Unbreakable: An also great movie with a great twist.

The Village: Not one of the greatest films he made, but, it still had a unthinkable and suprising story line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    So the fact that nothing ever really happens in his films, except right at the end, isn't a valid argument for why they're bad films?

Funny, you see, where I come from, that makes a bad film.
    Funny, you see, where I come from, we use evidence to establish an argument, not opinion.
    I'm done with mildly flaming you for bastardizing logic, though - I'm not out to hate you. I'm over it, so have a nice day.

edit: The quotes just came out wrong, so I have to say I love you, in a song.
    Last edited by -N-; 08-08-2004 at 12:11 AM.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Personally, I dont care about all the little nitpicking. If I enjoy a film, then it's a good film for me. If I dont enjoy it, then it sucks. Big deal.

Jump In The Fi-yaaaaah! metCloud's Avatar

The only one I really didnt like was Unbreakable, Just wasnt my kinda movie. Well acually I dont really like any of them but that doesnt make them bad movies or a bad director just because I dont like 'em. My main gripes about him would be the way he tells his stories, they are too slow paced for me. Also he seems to like to use the same actors in his movies, not that its a horrible thing but still kinda dumb in my book.
    I'm Metcloud and I approved this message

People say American Beauty was highly overrated, and I really enjoyed that movie.

I judge films by their content, not the director. I think the screenwriter/editor(s) are the ones who decides what content a film has when he writes a script, moreso than the director.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think he's great. No, his films aren't slasher movies, or full of actoin and violence, or anything. But they're good stories. That's what I'm looking for, when I go to the movies, anyways.

I will agree that his movies can be somewhat predictable at times, but his movies are the only thing owrth going to see at this point. Nothing else has motivated me to go out and see a movie. It's all the same right now-no one is making any different movies nowadays. It's either these "epic" movies from different time periods, or these horrible romantic comedies. He's a very creative guy, imo. He's putting out movies with plots that haven't been used a million times before. You can't deny him that.

To sum it all up, I like him, I think he's a genius.

--Box Box Box Box

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Personally, I dont care about all the little nitpicking. If I enjoy a film, then it's a good film for me. If I dont enjoy it, then it sucks. Big deal.
    Same here. And the films of his I have watched I enjoyed.

Jeez, anger management, dude.

I lieks all his movies up to The Villiage. The Sixth Sense was pretty scary for me and the first time I saw it I was surprised by it.

Unbreakable was interesting to me. Not really surprizing to say the least, but it was a good watch. The kid couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag to save his live though.

Signs, yes it had a couple of plot holes, but the suspense of when the ALiens were in the house was awesome. I loved the movie for that scene alone. Of course I saw it in the theater with surround sound, so it's much better than on a tv.

The Villiage was meh.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER