Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Ocean:(4) The Last Hope

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I stopped playing for story and just started playing because I like the battle system. Eventually I'm going to go back and do the post game dungeons.

I'm done with the story. I like how everyone's story ends. Crowe's ending ... wtf man. Brilliant.

I liked parts of this game, I really did. But man, other parts were just so god damn stupid.

Mostly just any time anyone said "Missing Procedure" and managed to not kill themselves in shame at using that as a name for something, as if it makes sense in any way at all. In fact, the entire main plot concept is just utter nonsense, even if it is just being used as a vehicle for the development of the characters.

Also things like 60 minute boss fights, as I clearly have the boss outclassed but still have to slowly, tediously grind down its immensely gargantuan health, with no indication of how much of it is still left to go.

And, of course, Lymle has the worst voice actor I've ever heard, kay? Even though I kind of like her character in principle, actually hearing her speak and looking into her hollow mannequin eyes was awful.

60 minutes? With blindsides and Arumat? I don't know how the MP is nonsense. We cause our own destruction. Sounds real.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    60 minutes? With blindsides and Arumat? I don't know how the MP is nonsense. We cause our own destruction. Sounds real.
    My first 60-minute boss fight in that game was long, long, long before I had Arumat. I think I had three of them over the course of the game.

I know how that is but only because I forgot how to use blindsides. They shorten those battles immensely.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had no expectations going into this game as it was my first star ocean... I actually really enjoyed it. I quite liked the cheese, and the battle system was fun.
    The characters were REALLY generic, sure, but that was half the fun for me.
    Once I get a ps3 I'll probably pick up the international version and give it another whirl. I'm not sure if I could honestly recommend SO4... but I really did enjoy my time with it. There are also some pretty funny moments in it too.

Though.... SO3 is SO MUCH better than it in really every way at least to me. The big thing for me about SO3 is characters that are far more interesting and the battle system feels far less spammy due to the stamina bar.
    Except as you said, the first disc in that game REALLY drags.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

SO3 was pretty bad imo. Do I want to spend any dollars on SO4? s:

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    SO3 was pretty bad imo. Do I want to spend any dollars on SO4? s:
    Probably not, if you didn't like SO3.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

A more important question is what was wrong with SO3?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Completed all of the SO's barring 1, which is weird because it's not a series I hold in particularly high regard. I did find 2 to be the most overall enjoyable, but only in the sense that it was a competent JRPG, rather than it being particularly notable.

In regards to SO4, I did like that they were making an attempt to have the game actually be Sci-Fi throughout for once, rather than fantasy with sci-fi tacked on. However the game totally lost me when (SPOILER)Edge literally destroyed the Earth in the alternate dimension. Seriously something that drastic was handled so poorly by the story and then eventually forgotten. You don't blow up a freakin' planet and then shake it off like a bad cold!

Anyway, it's like most TriAce games; you tend to come for the combat rather than the story. If you don't find the combat engaging then you won't like the game. Personally I found SO4's combat to be a bit more interesting in terms of gameplay than SO3, which really came down to spamming certain moves in chains continuously (Side Kick! Side Kick! Side Kick! Side Kick! etc.). I don't know where the idea of their being less intricacies in SO4 compared to SO3 comes from. Is it in the item creation side? If so then I always found that to be one of the weaker aspect of the game, since it really just tended to pad out the game than add to it, and was an egregious example of guide dang it.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

To be fair, Edge did care about that. His friends just said "yeah, that's crap but we all need to deal with what we do so accept it and don't annoy us any longer since that just slows us down".

Also a LOT of planets were on the verge of being destroyed. As soon as they got back to the right dimension they had to save Roak and then it was straight up Save the Universe time. No time for moping.

Also what happened in the alternate dimension influenced the entire ending of teh game.

And there is literally nothing right about SO3. Going through dungeons twice, including being forced to walk out of the dungeons so you actually go through them four times, Fayt being a whiny piece of crap that makes you long for Tidus just so you have someone who isn't so annoying, and...uim...oh yeah! THE FACT THE ENTIRE FIRST DISK IS POINTLESS.

POINTLESS!!!!

P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S.

I played a game called Star ocean so I could run around on a bland fantasy planet and meet a clone of my Generic Japanese Girlfriend who's conveniently dying and help the Good Kingdom fight the Evil Empire. Spend hour after hour after hour doing quests for the Good Kingdom only to have aliens come and take everything off the planet. All our work to build a Super Symbology Weapon and get a dragon and whatnot was a delightful distraction until the goddam Plot showed up. Then your lame Stock Fantasy planet doesn't mean anything because and you realize you could have been doing something productive with your life for that whole first disk. Like masturbating a few thousand times. Or maybe planning an elaborate assassination for whoever wrote that game's story. Hopefully it entails torture until they reveal why in God's name they made you play the first disk when only the second disk is worth any thing.

Well, I actually thought SO3 was a pretty good game, until the plot went completely off the rails on disk 2.