Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Look, Square-Enix aren't planning on milking a cow

Default Look, Square-Enix aren't planning on milking a cow

Just read this
    Final Fantasy XIII Team Hints at Sequel - PlayStation 3 News at IGN
    Although I don't have a problem with them making the sequel, because there is a lot of stuff they could answer. However, planning a game with DLC in mind.....sounds like a money making scheme.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Final Fantasy has been a money making scheme since day one, it was named "Final Fantasy" because they were going bankrupt and it was going to be their last game ever. I mean, they are a business and game making is expensive. Of course they are going to go for whatever makes more money

Anyway, I really liked FFXIII, so I'd play a FFXIII-2. If it's going to be like what FFX-2 was to FFX, I want to know that before hand though. Now that I can just enjoy it for what it is I like FFX-2 just fine, but when I first popped in the disc I was expecting a game as deep as FFX xD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Final Fantasy has been a money making scheme since day one, it was named "Final Fantasy" because they were going bankrupt and it was going to be their last game ever.
    Doesn't that sound conflicting? Sounds more like he wanted to go out with a bang.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Final Fantasy has been a money making scheme since day one, it was named "Final Fantasy" because they were going bankrupt and it was going to be their last game ever.
    Doesn't that sound conflicting? Sounds more like he wanted to go out with a bang.
    Day one may have been an exaggeration. How about day whatever it was when they decided to make Final Fantasy II.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I don't think planning a game with DLC from the start is a bad idea. I like the option of being able to pay some more money and get some more game out of the titles I want.
    I highly doubt I would buy FF13 DLC though.

According to Kitase, Square Enix has a policy of each team making a game at a pace of one title every two years,
    Looooooooooooooool

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

God I hope they don't make a sequel. Just get to work on FFXV already and lets leave this embarrassment of title where it belongs, behind us.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Just because you don't like it

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've yet to play a FF sequel that has impressed me or is even half the quality of its predecessor. :P

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

^ Yeesh. Going by your standards, XIII-2 will probably end up as one part vaguely-controllable combat system and one part Mario World-style world map for exploration. SE will be hailed by all major gaming websites for 'streamlining' the genre and 'trimming off all the fat'

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I have no problem with Downloadable Content or its applications in the game development process.

Personally, I would not pay for a Final Fantasy XIII expansion pack of any kind, as I was not impressed with the title. I am glad that I have the option to opt-out rather than having this content included with the original game at a delayed point in time.

I think that this may stop Square Enix from releasing updated versions of their games like Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix and other rereleases in the past, also.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    God I hope they don't make a sequel. Just get to work on FFXV already and lets leave this embarrassment of title where it belongs, behind us.
    I agree with this so much. They'd have to do something pretty remarkable (i.e., not add the actual story as an afterthought) to make FFXIII-2 worth making.

I thought there was already a saga of XIII going on. With Versus and the one with the latin name I can't think of. So XIII as a franchise is already for milking money. It seemed it was planned that way from the start, unlike with 7 and 10. Though from the sound of it making XIII-2 is a waste of time. But it shouldn't really be any surprise that they add yet another game in

As far as DLC, I'm usually okay with the idea. But I'm rarely comfortable with the price tag for content. 10-15 bucks or more a piece for an extra couple hours (usually) seems like a bad ratio

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Well, that's because it's not entirely true. Final Fantasy was named that because it was their "last chance". If that game didn't turn things around, they would be out of business. As we all know now, it did turn things around.

Anyway, FF13 left itself wide open for a sequel, and it was probably decided that there would be one before FF13 was even released.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I would totally play FFXIII-2, but I honestly could do without them making one. Like others have said, I would much prefer they get to work on FFXV and make it awesome.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I thought there was already a saga of XIII going on. With Versus and the one with the latin name I can't think of. So XIII as a franchise is already for milking money. It seemed it was planned that way from the start, unlike with 7 and 10. Though from the sound of it making XIII-2 is a waste of time. But it shouldn't really be any surprise that they add yet another game in

As far as DLC, I'm usually okay with the idea. But I'm rarely comfortable with the price tag for content. 10-15 bucks or more a piece for an extra couple hours (usually) seems like a bad ratio
    Versus XIII and Agito XIII are completely different games . SE wants to make XIII-2 because they made a lot of unused assets that only fit for a direct sequel (stuff like seventh Ark, titan , cocoon cities, limit breaks and so on dropped to accelerate the development).