• mIRC bitches! (or none of the above)

3 7.69%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Instant Messenger of choice

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    I don't care how attractive my IM is.
    Inorite!? I don't see how it's appearance could really bother someone.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You guys really should expand your horizons and try out some combination clients trillian and pidgin on windows, adium on osx. It's eye-opening. Especially since they tend to have a much smaller footprint than any one of the individual IM clients xD

I used Trillian for awhile but it was more annoying than a blessing. Adium was decent on my mactop though.

I still prefer single programming it. Sometimes I don't want to be on MSN.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eternal essence View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    I don't care how attractive my IM is.
    Inorite!? I don't see how it's appearance could really bother someone.
    Because this is ugly and much too large.
    *snip*

This is a lot neater.
    *snip*

You might want to censor out the naughty bits of those messages before posting it.

Msn....Nuff said

HOTROD
    "Lets go for a spin you and I"

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

AIM.

Uh.. NGC, you're allowed to resize that MSN window. You don't have to leave it its default size :P

And rubah, I tried almost all of them, though I think Pidgin used to be GAIM or something else. And it sucked back then. Trillian was pretty awesome, but then they stopped updating it and it lost protocol for Y!M and it still has ICQ which is an annoying waste of space. Nobody in their right mind uses ICQ anymore. Nobody in their right mind should have ever used ICQ. I tried it out just because a couple of people I knew had it, but they were not worth keeping it for xD Odd that its protocol was so similar to AIM's that Trillian just kinda combined the two

Trillian was nice in that it allowed resumable file transfers over MSN. But it was an abomination when it came to AIM and only passable for IRC. Its ease of use and convenience far surpasses mIRC, but its capabilities as an IRC client leave a lot to be desired. Last time I used Trillian it was 2 years outdated. Now it'd probably be something like 6 years outdated, unless someone actually started working on it again

It was very skinnable which was nice. But its font settings were all weird. Which is what made it very retarded over AIM. Highlighting text with color instead of allowing a background color. It lacked the compensation that AIM used to fix the text where retards would put black text over black background

GAIM had most of these problems as well

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

ICQ was funky for a little while because you could see what people typed as they typed it, which lead to some vague amusement at how many people made repeated typos. But yeah. Trillian I used for MSN chat for a while but I gave that up when Y!M started "talking" to MSN.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

MSN, cause I can make my own smilies.

Used to use YiM but then all my friends up and left me for MSN so I followed, although I like the fact that MSN users and Yahoo users can add each other.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Um, what vyk? Trillian still supports y!m afaik. And as far as their website says. And when I was still on windows, it was updated constantly-- which made keeping trillian pro cracked a pain in the butt How does an IM program get to be "outdated", anyway? A lot of people I know still use old versions of aim etc to minimize the ads and stuff

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Uh.. NGC, you're allowed to resize that MSN window. You don't have to leave it its default size :P
    I know that, but then I don't have any damn space for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Um, what vyk? Trillian still supports y!m afaik. And as far as their website says. And when I was still on windows, it was updated constantly-- which made keeping trillian pro cracked a pain in the butt How does an IM program get to be "outdated", anyway? A lot of people I know still use old versions of aim etc to minimize the ads and stuff
    I used Trillian back sometime early in the decade. Maybe 2002. When it was new. Then around 2005 when I got on here and made a few friends. Having all the chat programs plus IRC was a pain, so I went back to Trillian. And it had only made it a few versions past what I had. And it stayed that way for like 2 years. MSN and Yahoo won't let you log in if your version is too old. Whatever version of Yahoo Trillian was mimicking was too old to let you log in under Yahoo. And Cerulian studios or whoever it was that made Trillian had basically called it quits. They maybe started being active again recently. But they definitely took a few years off there for a while. I kept checking back for a while, but nothing ever changed. Heck they even offered Trillian Pro 3 for free on their site because they had no intention of doing anything anymore so the people that wanted it might as well have it. I might look back into it, if it really is active again

Incidentally I'm one of the people who use an old version of AIM with DeadAIM. But Yahoo and MSN won't let you use really old versions. And I'm pretty sure even AIM won't let you use anything older than 4.8. Unless they got off their high horse. But Y!M and MSN definitely have restrictions on the age of your client. You don't have to be up to date, but you can only lag behind by a couple versions before you're cut off

Edit: Just checked Wikipedia, they did indeed take two years off after 3.1. And I guess I was wrong on -why- they were blocked from Yahoo. Apparently Yahoo did it on purpose. Confusing considering the error it threw just said the version was too outdated. So on that score I'm wrong. I just assumed it was valid, because I -know- MSN and Yahoo do that. The version of Y!M on my desktop computer is no longer allowed to connect for being too outdated. And one of my online friends was just recently forced to upgrade MSN a couple months ago for lagging too far behind. Honestly I'm surprised AIM isn't just as strict. So no, they don't become "outdated". Just the companies behind them are douchebags, instead of offering security patches, they just force you to completely update after a while
    Last edited by Vyk; 07-12-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

AOL, Microsoft or Yahoo! Select your lesser of three evils today!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

If only everyone would use Gtalk!

Or my IM protocol, RIM (Rantzien's Instant Messenger)

I don't know why Google Talk didn't take off

I've never tried it 'cause I don't know anyone who has it. But I imagine its a better client than all of them