Thread: [A] Rye's Self Portrait

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default [A] Rye's Self Portrait

Well, in progress. I'm nearly done, I just have to make some parts of the face lighter (around the forehead and cheek), and then I want to touch up on the bottom arm, and then I just have the pant leg which will be rather tricky. Anyways, here is my self portrait. I realise that the eyes are a bit too close together. I also realise that it's kind of stupid not to post the source photo that I used, but I don't feel like people saying "LAWLS RYE UR UGLY/HAWT/QUINA" because that stuff embarasses me. I guess I'll show some people if they ask in PM and they want to give me more adivce. Or, if you're added to LJ like a lot of people are, you can see it in this entry: http://ryechu.livejournal.com/336928.html#cutid1

<lj-cut text="Self-portrait~">Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thoughts? Comments? Advice? Thanks~

Add Me to Your Mana Pool 41-Inches-Wide's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oooh, I love the fact that this piece doesn't believe in same-direction strokes. It makes it more sketchy. :3 Amazing job!!

Happy Birthday to Me

Blog Entries

HOLY [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]!!!!

That's amazing, Rye.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Lovely shading, and a good idea to use the black against the white media.

Str8 Pimpin'

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Great stuff, Rye The texture of the shading is interesting, but in my opinion, it gives the false feeling that you have leathery skin, which is something you probably don't want to hear. But then again, maybe it is.

Anyway, I love how you're contrasting the skin. Though, I would suggest whitening the bottom arm and darkening the upper arm. As the way it is, it seems that the upper arm is up front and "in your face". You may want to darken that so it won't compete with your face for the viewer's attention. You want to make the focus point your face, not your arms. It will also help if you can add more light streaks around the hair, maybe as a contour to help define the shape and bring it forward from the black background. In my opinion, it would help if you stretch it out so we can see more of your hair.

I guess that's all I can offer. Keep up the excellent work.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Wow, so this is Jess Art?

Thats pretty awesome

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks a ton guys! I really appreciate all these comments.

Quote Originally Posted by 41-Inches-Wide View Post
    Oooh, I love the fact that this piece doesn't believe in same-direction strokes. It makes it more sketchy. :3 Amazing job!!
    Thanks! I don't like same direction strokes either. They make the skin look less smooth. Some people in my art class did this project in same-direction strokes and it made it look rather flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Reine View Post
    Wow, so this is Jess Art?

Thats pretty awesome
    Nope, Jess Art is very different. xDD And thanks~

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    Great stuff, Rye The texture of the shading is interesting, but in my opinion, it gives the false feeling that you have leathery skin, which is something you probably don't want to hear. But then again, maybe it is.

Anyway, I love how you're contrasting the skin. Though, I would suggest whitening the bottom arm and darkening the upper arm. As the way it is, it seems that the upper arm is up front and "in your face". You may want to darken that so it won't compete with your face for the viewer's attention. You want to make the focus point your face, not your arms. It will also help if you can add more light streaks around the hair, maybe as a contour to help define the shape and bring it forward from the black background. In my opinion, it would help if you stretch it out so we can see more of your hair.

I guess that's all I can offer. Keep up the excellent work.
    Thanks! While I agree with the bottom arm thing and I'm so tempted to make it whiter, this is going to be a major grade in my Art class, so I have to follow the source photo very closely. Same with the hair. It'd look nicer with more light streaks, but it's very dark and blends with the black background mostly.

Anyways, here is the completed thing. I may fix the jeans a bit to make it have a more linear texture because my Art teacher asked me to really try hard with that, but basically, it's finished. Enjoy guys!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I really respect artists with ryes talent...it makes you really appreciate their work as well.

Very snazy Rye! Very snazy indeed. Keep up the most excellent work. ^^

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Awwww, thank you, guys!

It's great! I dig that you have done it white on black instead of black in white. Doing it white on black is so much harder than the other way around... People don't even know.

Anyway, it looks amazing, and as far as I remember it does look like you.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default How did I miss this one?

That's brilliant. Sorry I can't think of any more words for it. Well done, Rye.

Oh, and

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I am bitterly dissapointed that you decided to cover your chin with a book! Actually is that a book?

Elsewise it's pretty awesome.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Very cool. The eyes are great and the use of tones is awesome

That's beautiful, Jess. You have amazing talent. The only critique I have is the nose - because I've been your source photo, I can say the nose is too curved at the top, but the tip of the nose is perfect.