Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12222627282930313233343536373842 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Top Artist

Add Me to Your Mana Pool 41-Inches-Wide's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will review Zeromus_X's design, right?
    *writes* will pass a little later.

Happy Birthday to Me

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Clone#01 View Post
    i just have to say that i only did it so simply is becoz thats what was said in the rules and the examples givin,it said to give a simple abstract design so thats what i did.if i'd of known it was supposed to be more complicated i would have made it that.

EDIT:ill give my review soon.
    I said in the rules for it to be simple yet artistic and beautiful. I guess any MS Paint will be simple, so judging on how complex it is is a little unfair. I'll inform ValkyrieWing of this.

EDIT: I looked over her review, and I think what she means is that it is a bit too simple (thus it being boring). I mean, look at Phil's MS Paint pattern. That's simple enough, but it's not boring. I guess she kind of marked off because it was just boring. I'll ask her to explain a little more.

I am very pleased to be able to judge ValkyrieWing's submission. It was, as usual, excellent.

Pattern: May have been designed with the finished article in mind, much like a designer dress would be, so that is appropriate. The design had real style to it, feminine but bold (much like its designer, I should imagine, which is also good as a designer dress and indeed any artwork, should be able to reflect its creator). Beautiful colours, simple and flowing lines, symmetry and good form. This kind of design lends itself to material, and (without insulting the dress!) could even be used for curtains!

Model: Wow.
    I just don't know how you do it, but you do it consistently well, V.
    The depiction/translation of the model wearing the fabric made into a designer gown is almost perfect, but there is no setting or background. This is more like a designer's sketch in a marketing situation or pattern book, so again, appropriate for the challenge, but for marking purposes on this occasion, marked down.
    As for believability/what would I think if I saw this dress in real life?...I want to know where I can get me one!
    (Critique or jealousy?...>Model too thin - bring back voluptuous models!)

Almost perfectly completed challenge. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by lovehurts View Post
    Some of these arent patterns they are more so abstract designs.
    If you go into a material shop, you'll find that thats what a lot of the patterns are.

Use the edit/delete button if you have something else to add! ;D -kikimm

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

When I said it was simple, i meant that it was a little TOO easy to translate into the outfit. No offense intended.

I wanted to put a background on mine, but when i did so, i felt it detracted from the overall veiw of the dress. I took stained glass as my inspiration.

Thanks for the niceness, Mum.
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

Blog Entries

Zeromus_X's

I scored you an eight (8)!

Originality - It's a pattern amazingly like one of my big sister's bedspread! But I can't hold it against you, it's not like you went and copied a my sis' bedspread pattern. Anyway, considering the design itself, I find it perfect. It's abstract, it's um well patterny!

Artistic Value - I absolutely loved what you were going with this, the jaggedy lines, how you placed the lines, overall look), and I think the tiny yellow lines are fantastic and charming. I especially like the pattern in general.

But I didn't understand the color scheme. I didn't get how cyan, pink, fuschia, light green, yellow and royal blue (!) would work well together without being pastels. The tiny yellow lines are already great as the color that stands out among the others, but the royal blue is a bit rough and confusing on the eyes. For example, one blue color on the left side looks like a whale. The other on the bottom left looks like a fertility vase. And the other I don't know.

Pattern Versatility - the pattern looks like it's absolutely exclusively made for fabric. :3 And that's fabulous, especially for this challenge.

Happy Birthday to Me

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

I'll need all of the reviews by the end of today!

Since the next challenge is coming up soon, I'll give you a hint as to what you'll have to draw:

(SPOILER) It has to deal with the seven deadly sins...

This hint pretty much sums up next challenge, but I wouldn't start just yet because there's a TWIST in store... (or is there? xD)

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

((Is not so great at reviewing things))

Phil-Overall-8

Originality-8

For originality, I'd say it's actually somewhat original. Many of the designs used cool and darker colors, so it's refreshing to see warm colors and a bold design. The grey tones also don't seem to conflict with the red and white, at least to me.

Artistic value-9

It's very neat, and much better than I could ever do on Paint. I applaud you for making such an organized pattern with that kind of media. The pattern is actually quite complex (for a pattern made in Paint) too, so overall it's really creative.

How easily it can be translated into clothing-7

Unfortunately, if I were trying to transfer this pattern to clothing, I'd probably have to think very hard about what to do with this pattern, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing (more creativity is never bad). It just seems that'd it'd be a bit too complex for a clothing designer to transfer adequately.

Overall: Good job! I'm impressed at anyone that could do something like this in Paint. xD

But I didn't understand the color scheme. I didn't get how cyan, pink, fuschia, light green, yellow and royal blue (!) would work well together without being pastels. The tiny yellow lines are already great as the color that stands out among the others, but the royal blue is a bit rough and confusing on the eyes. For example, one blue color on the left side looks like a whale. The other on the bottom left looks like a fertility vase. And the other I don't know.
    Mum did suggest using summer-y colors, so I thought those would fit well. :P xD

And yeah, I've noticed the whole shape thing. I tried making the colors not be unbalanced like that, but I guess I messed up somewhere around there. xD

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Guess what, tan asked me to judge again..

Ok.. I just hope the contestants understand my points of view and dont get mad because of this.. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh or something..

1- All the patterns have the same "artistic" value to me because any pattern can adapt well into a clothing design if the designer knows how to do it right.. So in the end the real challenge is adapt the pattern into a suitable piece of cloth..
    Sorry for being such a pain in the butt, but I just cant judge the patterns unless I give them all the same score..

2- So regarding the previous statement, what Im going to judge is mostly the cloth designer`s work and how well they adapted certain pattern into a suitable yet original piece of cloth.. Due to that I guess the two contestants who worked together will have the same score that im posting here..

3- I was surprised how everyone only used gals as models, cmon isnt that a bit un-original?..

>>> Now lets go to the judging..

Zeromus_x and mum..
    Well, the pattern here was more suitable for a little girl`s swimsuit than a gorgeous model wearing an one piece dress..
    Score= 04

Clone 01 and Nominus Experse
    Well the dress fits the pattern, so its all fine..
    Score= 06

Valkyriewing
    Well Valkyriewing did her own pattern so that made things easier for her, because pattern and dress fits perfectly..
    Score= 08

Phil and 41-inches-wide
    Wow you guys must be pro Fashion Designers or something XD, Best pattern/dress adaptation so far, the clothing design here is very original too..
    Score= 10

BTW, sorry for my lame grammar or if this dont make any sense at all..:P
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

Default Challenge 4 Scores

Because of our double-erasing (Zeldy and lovehurts) due to dropping out, no one else will be erased this challenge. Before I post the reviews, let me introduce the judges:

We have koyasuslave, the very generous reviewer.
    Black orb, the seasoned winner of the first art competition, has already posted his reviews.
    And finally, we have the guest judges, who were the contestants. Phil and Clone#01 were the only ones who did not send in their review, so I decided to go against my better judgement, and become a guest judge, but just for the missing reviews.

Before I announce the winners, let me post koyasuslave's reviews and the extra two guest judge reviews I did.

koyasuslave's reviews:

Group #1- "It gets a 9! OMG! I want that dress! But sadly green doesn't look well on me. *pouts* Anyways! I'll just say I love this pic, there's just sooooooooooooooooooo many things to say on why I love it, for this short review."
    Group #3- "They get an 8. I love the setting of this! It's always good to see what people would take the gothic look to drawings and clothes. I definitely would see this dress at Hot Topic. I would but it too if Hot Topic would make their dresses and pants more my size. I definitely don't wear juniors clothes, but I'm not basing my judging on that! Nominus should be a designer for Hot Topic!!!!!!!!!"
    Group #4- No review due to late turn-in, but she did give a score.
    ValkyrieWing- "I knew she gets imunity, but I got to say this> Oi! Fuu! When I get a sewing machine and fabric and make this dress, would you wear it? LOL!"

My guest judge reviews:

Nominus Experse:
    I would say that the whole dress is very nice, I like the ruffling on the bottom, but the translation of the pattern was only done in one spot. However, I believe this would have been rather tacky if the whole thing had been the translation of the pattern, so I understand where you're coming from. It was a good dress, and the accessories give it great detail and much more believability. I like how you have a very dark and complex style; it's very good.

41-inches-wide:
    This was my favorite piece. I like how you didn't just take what your partner did and simply put it onto the shirt behind the top jacket, and actually transformed it into something that looks wearable. The way the outfit stood out compared to the rest of the others was what made me think this was a really good piece. In the real world, it would not look very practical, but I think it could be pulled off. The plainness of the shirt under the jacket was a very good move because if you put the pattern in that, it would've looked terrible and I think you really thought this through. I also like the scarf because it adds a little more to the outfit. Good job!

And now for the winner:

I'd like the names of:
    (SPOILER)ValkyrieWing
    (SPOILER)Phil
    and
    (SPOILER) 41-inches-wide
    to be highlighted. If you were not called, then you are not the winner of this challenge, but you are still going on to the next round. Congratulations.

(SPOILER)ValkyrieWing: This is your second week in the top three, and it's no surprise. The judges felt as though your piece was very well-drawn, very well executed, but, after all, you were your own partner, so one may say that it was easier to translate your MS Paint piece into your dress. Your only problem that one may see is that the bottom of the dress was blank; you should've made it shorter or even possibly drawn a slit on the side, which might've helped. However, it was still a very good piece.

(SPOILER)Phil: You are the only pattern maker in the top 3. Your piece was well made and wasn't just a bunch of lines. You thought it out well and it was easily translated. The colors may have been the only problem, because the orange doesn't seem to go very well with the gray, but it is still very good. You took a chance by giving your partner a risky pattern, which was appreciated by the judges. You thought this through, and it's apparent. Your design was edgy and creative, which set it apart from the other designs.

(SPOILER)41-inches-wide: You took a risk, and your piece was outstanding. It looks odd, in a way, but the overall quality of it is very good. You made very intelligent choices (such as the under shirt that was plain) and the fact that you didn't just make a dress and simply draw the pattern on was a very good idea. You were the only one to make a jacket, which suited your pattern. One may say the only critique is the scarf: it goes a bit too over the top, but it was a nice touch. Overall, you did excellent.

(SPOILER)Phil, you're not the winner, but you are accepted. Congratulations for making it to the next round.

So it brings it down to you two: (SPOILER)ValkyrieWing and 41-inches-wide...
    (SPOILER)ValkyrieWing, you're not the winner for this week, but you are accepted and thus you move onto the next challenge. (SPOILER)Congratulations on being in the top 3 two weeks in a row and for making to the fifth challenge.

This only leaves you, (SPOILER)41-inches-wide, which means you're the winner for this challenge. Congratulations on getting immunity for next week and getting the first pick on the first challenge (you'll learn more about this later).

I would just like to say the difference between #1 and #2 were very close... They were only separated by 0.1 points! Here are the overall rankings:

(SPOILER)1. 41-inches-wide- 9.3
    2. ValkyrieWing- 9.2
    3. Phil- 7.8
    4. Mum- 7.7
    5. Nominus Experse- 7
    6. Zeromus_X- 6.8
    7. Clone#01- 5.7

Congratulations on all of you for making it to the next round! I'll post the next challenge in a bit.

Blog Entries

(SPOILER) I've Never Won Anything In My Life Before!

Congratulations to Zeromus_X and Mum (was that a serious manipulation of pastels I saw! OMG! I have to watch out for your pieces!) because they made a great team on challenge#4! And to these winners Valkyriewing and Phil! You guys are nothing short of a morsel of fantastic, considering one did all the work herself and the other has never disappointed with his pieces (be it for this challenge or in his other works)!

EDIT: Yay! **

Happy Birthday to Me

sorry i took so long to post,should i bother giving me review so late?

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

No, Clone#01, because I already guest judge'd for the two spots that needed the score. Sorry.

ok,sorry about that,i was just kinda busy.

Congratulations to 41IW and the runner ups!

I'm really enjoying this!

"Go die in a hole."- Kat

I have decided to start putting the rules in new posts, because the hassle of going to the first post for everything is getting a bit ridiculous, and now that I look back on it, if they archive this thread people won't know what each challenge was about because I keep on having to take it down for the next set of rules. So, I'll just start posting them in a new post. Be sure to keep your eyes open for them!

Challenge 5: "These Sins Can't Get Any More Deadlier"

Draw the seven sins into people (male or female, it doesn't matter). Color is highly recommended. You will pick a sin to draw from this list:
    Greed
    Lust
    Gluttony
    Pride
    Envy
    Sloth
    Anger

Because two people may not do the same sins, the order (or priority) in which the sins are chosen will be decided by how you ranked last challenge.

1. 41-inches-wide
    2. ValkyrieWing
    3. Phil
    4. Mum
    5. Nominus Experse
    6. Zeromus_X
    7. Clone#01

-Please post which sin you want, do not PM me them.
    -Be sure to look through the posts before you post which sin you want just in case someone higher than you already picked it.
    -If you notice someone has a sin that you want, and you are higher ranking than them, you may choose it and they will have to pick another one.
    -You do not have to wait until the people who ranked above you has chosen what they want; you may choose one sin that you want to draw, but beware as it is subject to change if the people who are higher up want it
    -This means that 41-inches-wide gets first priority, ValkyrieWing gets second, etc.
    -Any sin that you have chosen and already posted is final.
    -You may not change your mind and decide to do another one

To be sure everyone picks their topics on time, if someone lower than you picks one and you do not respond within 24 hours as to which sin it may be, you do not get that sin, even if you request for it. I will be allowing people to pick for two days, and at the end of Friday (here) if you still not have chosen, I will pick one for you. The deadline will then be set when everyone has chosen.

If you want to explain your picture and show why you drew what you drew, you are free to give the judges an explanation when you send me your picture. This is not necessary, but if you draw something symbolic you think the judges may not understand, it would be wise to give an explanation.

Good luck, and be sure to ask questions if you have any.