Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More politeness perhaps?

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always comment out a sig because I appreciate the fact that some of them are quite elaborate and people have gone to a lot of effort to make some of them. Commenting out saves them some time when they have to edit and it doesn't take any extra effort on my part to do so. However, if a sig is over the filesize limit I will just delete it without the commenting out part.

I do not say please when I edit sigs. After you have done so many edits (many times to the same member), it ends up being very routine and everyone gets a generic message from me as to the reason for the edit. I can understand new members not knowing the restrictions and some of them will get a PM from me with explanations. For these members I do say please. Other members who have been here for any length of time should know the limits and not be upset when they are reminded of them.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If a person takes away the comment tags and uses the rule breaking sig again, we can just take away their sig privileges. That's how I see it, anyway. It's actually beneficial in that it easily identifies the members stupid enough to do something like that. That's always good information to have.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I meant mostly when closing threads, myself, but I don't see it as a big issue either way. My main annoyance right now is one or two people getting threads closed that I'm enjoying, rather than their posts being deleted or the thread being split. That in itself it a bit more work than should be required though so even that I'm not too fussed about.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

We could just ban those people, that wouldn't take much work at all.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

That would be my first choice, but then you'd have to admin me again.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF
    Yams: You don't have to mean it. It's like the way people who work as store clerks are encouraged to smile. They don't mean it, hell they work at Wal*Mart, you think they're happy? But it makes the customer feel better, and makse everyone's day brighter, instead of the English method where you can be as gruff and curt as you want to, and everyone is. It's just nicer, even if it's false.
    Well, I appreciate you bringing this up. I thank you.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The thing about deleted posts is that you probably don't have any idea when we are doing it. I actually delete a lot of posts. But sometimes a thread is beyond repair, or got off on the wrong foot from the very start. In these cases, it's usually quicker and much more painless to just kill them. I'm sorry if a thread you enjoyed was closed.

I took a screenshot of this sort of thing once upon a time:

Reason: ugh.

Hopefully the threads that aren't spam threads with post-it topics stuck on aren't that full of deleted posts.

[leeza]*snip*

This is a post that would have been deleted because it really has nothing to do with the thread topic. ~ Leeza[/leeza]

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

It'd be cool if when my posts got deleted I could see them like that, too. Because I don't know when my posts get deleted. Then I go into a thread and I say "I'm sure I posted here!" but I can't find it, then I try to find my name on the page and it's only got the one in the top right corner of the page saying I'm logged in and then my head starts hurting and I begin to panic, like, maybe I've been sucked into some horrible dimension or maybe I have brain cancer and I start crying and get so lonely and kirobaito isn't always around to save the day.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

MP has a point. Whenever my posts get deleted I wonder whether or not I actually posted them or was simply imagining it, and I am usually tempted to repost them. Also I feel his point about being sucked into a horrible dimension is a valid one.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane
    The staff are too polite as it is, giving everyone a million and one chances and all that. Oh the shame of it all.
    This post made me smile.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually thought about this the other day, and now am remembering it again. At the other forums I go to, members can see deleted posts. Not that posts themselves, but that they're there. It's a good example of what kind of things will get deleted for members, and gives the staff there more credit.

Do it.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Write us a VB hack for it and we'll consider it.

And it has to be written by you. In blood. And notorized...twice. Then send it to our head office along with a $100 entry fee.

Isn't there some sort of permission you can set like with the crazy usernote and forum bans and crap like that!